Thread: Colorverse Office Impressions

Thanks

Exclamation Colorverse Office Impressions

I was looking forward to the Colorverse Office inks. I got four bottles and a sample of Red. The Office Black is back-ordered at Vanness so I'm waiting for that. Overall, I'm disappointed. I should have gotten samples instead of bottles.

The one bright spot is the red. It's a deeply saturated, bright red that doesn't lean pink or orange. For me, it rivals Skrip red as a pure red ink. Unfortunately, water washes it away like love letters in the sand.

All of them seem very dry. The permanent inks are uncomfortably dry, making me think they are the new "iron gall" chemistry. (Like the TWSBI Blue-Black, but the TWSBI is not uncomfortably dry in use).

I'm a bit obsessive about watertightness in inks, so I always give them a soak test. That's about three minutes submerged in tepid water until the paper is fully saturated. The Colorverse permanents are adequate, losing about what you'd expect of their saturation. They're acceptable. The others are not acceptable to me, especially the red. (That's why I have DeAtramentis Document Red permanently installed in one pen.)

The Permanent Black is not as dark as I'd prefer in a black. I didn't do chromatography, but looking at it, it seems to lean more blue than green.

The Photo Black is a gray ink. It looks like a solid, consistent gray, but for me it won't be displacing my Noodles Lexington Gray. The Lexington Gray is absolutely watertight, and it's one of the smoothest, wettest inks I know.

Bottom line, I now have a lot more ink I'll never use!

Looking at the images, I'd say the red is darker than what I see here. The rest seem pretty accurate. Although who knows what you'll see on your monitor!!

The Colorverse Office line also includes: Green, Gray, Blue and Brown.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (April 17th, 2020), carlos.q (April 17th, 2020), damfino (May 20th, 2021), fountainpagan (April 18th, 2020), FredRydr (April 18th, 2020), junglejim (April 17th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (April 17th, 2020), Robert (May 20th, 2021), Yazeh (April 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Colorverse Office Impressions

Thanks for the advice Bill, it is good to know what not to buy perhaps even more than people saying Buy This.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Good info. My main requirement for a work ink is some degree of water resistance. At least enough to survive a spill and quick clean up. I have some ridiculously wet pens that could benefit from dry writing inks so these inks sound worth sampling at least.

Thanks

I've tried a few Colorverse inks and some of the colors are interesting but they've all been a little on the dry side. Of your samples, I think the blue-black looks the most interesting but I have a lot of blue inks in my collection and probably shouldn't add more.

I used to be more particular about permanency in inks but I largely gave up on this–the permanent inks on the market just weren't as interesting as other options. Maybe things have changed over the past couple years but I've just learned to be more careful with liquids in my work area (this has become more challenging working from home since my kids are not nearly as cautious with water cups as I am).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Bummer. Those inks are expensive, yeah? Maybe, eventually..., you can trade with people who love those inks, or ink collectors who display their inks more than use them.

On the bright side, now there are more options for people who ask for advice because their pens write "too wet."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Thanks for the review. I bought a couple of samples of Coloreverse a few years back when Quasar was the rage.
    I viscerally disliked it and Andromeda. I'll stick to Noodler's .

It's a pity that red looks really nice, for once :-)

Thanks

I hate when I buy a whole bottle and wind up disappointed. As for Colorverse, I was taken in by a display of the little 5ml bottles, and bought one - Sea Europa - which is actually a beautiful coral, flamingo-pink sort of shade. Dry in finer nibs, but very nice in broader ones....though it’s just the color I like, the ink itself doesn’t excite me that much.