Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Post your Contentious Virus Posts Here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: Post your Contentious Virus Posts Here

Quote Originally Posted by rocl View Post
    I’m not really sure what “that” is, that nobody is predicting. Could you clarify what you’re referring to?

Thanks for the links BTW. I’ve seen the one with Gupta, but not Sikora.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Well, those are precisely the words I used to refer to the notion that COVID-19 would subside like Zika, without infecting the vast majority of the population and without a vaccine. Absent clarification, I interpret it as a response to me on that point, because I was wrong--some people are predicting that, more or less, with a substantially larger-than-worst-case percentage of the population being naturally immune or having cleared or being able to clear the virus without experiencing significant harm. If we don't need a vaccine because we aren't in the pickle most people think we're in, so much the better. The context of my remarks was in response to the dismissive treatment of a vaccine in the Bhattacharya video, which was, you will admit, rather gloomy in outlook. Having said that, I might further argue that, especially if many people are naturally immune and/or don't produce specifically detected antibodies to clear the infection, we probably won't know that soon enough for economics to put the brakes on vaccine development for COVID-19. We'll be watching with bated breath into the late fall, wondering whether seasonality explains reduced incidence.
    Last edited by mhosea; May 26th, 2020 at 09:44 AM.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

My apologies. Yes, it was an attempt at quoting mhosea and removing everything but the relevant part and I managed to remove the quotation marks too. I have also heard many say that it was reasonable to assume that Covid 19 would become more benign over a longer period (years) as that happens commonly with many viruses.

Thanks

I am not sure that I will ever feel particularly safe again whilst mixing with the public or even people that I know, there will always be the question in my mind, does this person have a bug that could kill me or my family, they want to shake my hand/kiss my cheek/give me a hug and I am thinking 'back off sunshine'.

Schools are reopening for no strong reason other than child minders to allow parents to return to work, many parents who can work from home ae saying we do not want to go to an office because this means travelling on public transport and putting ourselves at risk, we work more effectively from home and we want to continue. house prices are falling by 14% but a strong demand for houses with gardens and office space. People are relauctant to get onto an aircraft and sit in close proximity with 200 others of unknown health, travel and hotel companies say we may never recover, restaurants and hospitality say that opening and complying with social distancing means that we cannot make money, we would rather stay shut until this is fixed please, not sure that the economy will recover in my lifetime and still my government is handing out money like its going out of fashion. a man I know cleans windows for two days a week, he earns £300 a month, he couldn't work for 3 weeks and he applied for assistance, £2500 appeared in his bank account , 8 months money, a friend of his did the same and obtained £10,000. The world has gone nuts and I cannot see that it will recover in my lifetime.

Thanks

I am a scientist. More specifically, I am a medical laboratory scientist. I've been doing this for 7 years now. Before that, I spent 9 years as a staff research associate (molecular biologist/lab manager/technician) in a university research laboratory. And before that, I was working on dual bachelor's degrees in biology and chemistry. I'm not just a B.S.--I'm a triple B.S

I started collecting fountain pens less than a year ago.

What I want to say to the population at large is: Stay the heck home, don't go out unless you must, wear your gosh-durned mask when you do go out, wash your hands properly and frequently and if one hand grenade could injure two of you, you are too close!

Not everyone gets ill with COVID-19, and not everyone who gets ill gets seriously ill. However, for the unlucky ones, this thing is worse than influenza. And I don't think influenza is wonderful, either. I realize my perspective is skewed from what I do for a living--I work in the transfusion services section of a hospital laboratory. That means that the patient population I issue blood to is often grievously ill or injured. And in the course of anticipating a patient's needs for blood and blood products, sometimes I end up combing through patient's records. It can be horrifying. Trust me--you don't want to be that ill or injured. You just don't. Even the best care possible is horrifying. I am still haunted by some influenza and COVID-19 cases.

Staying in lockdown and taking appropriate precautions are the only things that are going to get this virus under control right now. I know there is hope for a vaccine, but we aren't there yet. And until that time, old-school controls are all we have. It's only going to be worse if we keep messing around with this re-opening nonsense before we have the virus under control.

And finally, we as a species were about due for a pandemic of some sort. That's what viruses and other pathogens do. They find a host and they proliferate. And no, we aren't really smarter than microbes. We could be, but we aren't.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 4th, 2020), Empty_of_Clouds (September 3rd, 2020), TSherbs (September 2nd, 2020), welch (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

As someone who spent 19 years working in med lab sciences, I totally endorse the post by TFarnon.

On a related note, I recently read an article about why people refuse to adopt safety measures that are encouraged or even mandated by governments. Turns out, in the main and heavily summarised, that this reactionary stance has little to do with reason or science, and everything to do with push back against authority. A bit of an obvious conclusion I suppose, but there it is.

BBC article link

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (September 3rd, 2020), welch (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Finally we get real examples of the DK effect.

Thanks

My evening was spoiled the other day when I had a conversation with someone I had considered a friend. She says that the virus does not exist, and that the MMR vaccine causes autism. She thinks Boris Johnson is doing a better job than Nicola Sturgeon. I should have walked away, as there is no point in trying to argue with that sort of person.

I do not mind diversity of views, but when those views could threaten people's existence...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

welch (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaine View Post
    My evening was spoiled the other day when I had a conversation with someone I had considered a friend. She says that the virus does not exist, and that the MMR vaccine causes autism. She thinks Boris Johnson is doing a better job than Nicola Sturgeon. I should have walked away, as there is no point in trying to argue with that sort of person.

I do not mind diversity of views, but when those views could threaten people's existence...
    A bit west of you, we call that person "a Trumpist". Useless to talk with them, except to marvel at the way they defend Trump's "policies" as he twitches, turns, reverses himself week after week. Good luck, Wales and Scotland.

Thanks

There's Still No Evidence that Either Lockdowns or Masks Are "Game Changers"

Not only have the lockdowns played no role in disease mitigation, they come with deadly costs. You would think that the prolockdown health officials informing public health decisions would have entertained the potential costs of disrupting global supply chains and forcing hundreds of millions of people to remain shuttered in their homes. No matter. When nations around the globe are at "war" with a virus, immediate action is the only option. Damn the consequences.

What follows are some of the most alarming costs of the lockdowns, costs that are hardly eclipsed by the plethora of anecdotal sob stories floating around on social media. The establishment media and public health officials were doomed to look past these potential consequences because of their monomaniacal fixation on “cases,” a fixation that elevated short-term economic thinking and feel-good policies above all else.

• The New York Times predicts 1.4 million excess tuberculosis deaths alongside nearly 1 million excess malaria and HIV deaths.
    • The UN estimates that as many as 130 million people will be at risk of starvation thanks to the lockdown's disruption of global food supply chains.
    • The CDC reported just under 200,000 excess deaths, a 26.5 percent jump from previous years, attributable to covid-19 over a ten-month period; a majority of these deaths affected 25–44-year-olds.
    • UNICEF predicted an excess of 1.2 million child deaths (ages 5 and under) over a six-month period
    • The Associate Press linked virus-related hunger to 10,000 child deaths per month for the first year of the pandemic
    • The CDC conducted a week-long survey in June finding that 25 percent of young adults between 18–24 years of age have considered suicide because of the pandemic.
    • CBS cited a study indicating the potential for 75,000 excess deaths of despair: deaths due to drug and alcohol abuse or suicide
    • A CDC report found a 31 percent increase in mental health–related emergency room visits for children between the ages of 12 and 17 over a three-month period.

Even The Atlantic now admits that asking people in low- to middle-income countries to stay home is, in many cases, asking them to starve. There is simply no way to justify the claim the lockdowns save lives with a knowledge of their costs.

Thanks

In Recent two gun crimes has been revealed the two persons had beed "deceased with Corona" and it is legal to say so as they have found (by coronary Autopsy ) that they have a connection to Corona. This Old disease cells is in our body and it has been revealed on 1960-1970. They are like just other cells as cancer, red cells, white cell, braincells, bone cells. You name it from many more trillion cells of bacterials cells of our body. this cells are the most profitable cells to Pharma so the corona has a Patent owner too.
    They are the foster parents of the vaccine for Passing this corona to another heathy body.
    When some one dies in an accident or suecide or any type of death it is normal to have mention it in the Autopsy as death with Corona. It is a very smart disease found in our time of course by an AMERICAN VIRUS DR.

Many doctors in Uk are changing their Long servisces of carriers into Gardners and Plumbers. It is due to the inability of continuation of being their heart-felt profession under profit controlled Big Pharma. Working with with conceptual lies forceful misled education and knowledge under the Pharma guidelines only to promote profits but not to help improving the public heath being the least is the case and reason for them to quit.
    Last edited by Cyril; December 26th, 2020 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks

Interesting Video show here what is VACCINE MEANS!!

https://davidicke.com/2020/12/23/inf...-story-to-one/

Thanks

I feel like saying, wear a mask if you want or get a vaccine if you want. Both represent the same attempt.

Thanks

China denies entry to the World Health Organisation investigating Covid outbreak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-55555466

Does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    China denies entry to the World Health Organisation investigating Covid outbreak.

It's not surprising, but it prompts a discussion on the party's worldview and strategic goals.

In short, it's just their nature to not allow investigation by outsiders; and they can't risk the global repercussions (or retribution) if the blame is laid at their feet.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

welch (February 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Personally, I think it is an outrage that China can deny entry to the WHO who are looking at lessons to be learned from a disease that has killed thousands and affected millions, some may wish to hold China to account, I would like China to address the issue and ensure that there cannot be a repeat if we are talking about wet markets, a much bigger problem if the are looking at chemical weapons.

Thanks

World leaders are stuck between appeasing their constituents and appeasing the behemoth that it the Chinese economy. Gordon Chang is the author of many insightful perspectives on Chinese goals, and worth consideration.

Thanks

Thanks

I am hear to remind you to:
    "Respect Science, respect nature, respect each other"
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/o...p-respect.html

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

welch (January 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

Can anyone be surprised?