Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Post your Contentious Virus Posts Here

Thanks

Default Re: Post your Contentious Virus Posts Here

No choice here either - we were "essential" the entire time, and in any event the bills must be paid. Several of our business's clients died from COVID, including individuals who engaged in strong self-isolation measures. They got COVID through close family contacts, despite precautions. In each case, there was at least one person exposed outside the family circle, then it came in through that contact before the contact knew it. Some people were sickened, but some also died.

No vaccination for me yet. My parents qualify but there's a 1-month lag between getting an appointment and getting a shot. My grandmother is 91, but they cancelled her appointment. She's trying again. My grandfather is already lost to COVID: one of many people in nursing homes who died when infected patients were mixed into the population. Originally they denied anything to do with COVID, and only when the National Guard went into the homes locally did they find the true extent of the cover-up regarding COVID patients in nursing homes. The Governor ran as far away from that as he could, once it came to light.

There are all these photo opts and videos of people going to vaccine stations. The evening news is there every day. The government is touting how many people are vaccinated. Yet of the people I talk to, there are only a couple who have been vaccinated. The closest analogy is the Soviet Union or the iron curtain in the 1970s-80s. Many people have had appointments cancelled in our area because of low vaccine supply, though the excuses always given for the cancellation are vague. Sometimes no excuse is even attempted. I know one couple who were vaccinated before their group was set to go. They got vaccinated by waiting around Walgreen's all day, and at the end of the day there were a couple left-over doses. I know another couple people who went early because they knew a person involved in local social services, who then hooked them up with appointments. Of course, the politicians got vaccinated first, of course. The commissars always go first. In the eastern bloc, and the late Soviet Union it was a car, or washing machine, or even food at the end. Here it's vaccine doses. In a way, we became what we used to disdain.The posters and slogans the politicians put out are sickening in themselves. Slogans, posters, and reporters don't deliver vaccine and don't treat the dying any more than they could deliver washers, food, and cars in the iron curtain.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; March 4th, 2021 at 09:15 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

adhoc (March 4th, 2021), dneal (March 4th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Ray, I hear your frustration and understand it. And share it. I am 61, and my state is now "open" to vaccinations for 60+, but, well, let's just say that I can't even get someone to call me back. And all the online vax slots are full for 100 mile radius from where I live.

But privilege and elite access to specialized health care is not new for this country and is not limited to Communist era societies. Capitalism has abused the idea of equity in health for centuries. Capitalism and our modern version of it needs no analogy outside of itself for inequity. The USA has never distributed health care equitably, and certainly won't do so under the stress of a pandemic.

I actually consider modern health care to be a human right, and the USA's approach to this I consider to be an immoral shame. If there is a God, he/she/it is likely appalled with our failure, in one of the richest countries on the planet, to care for each other equitably. We don't even try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

But privilege and elite access to specialized health care is not new for this country and is not limited to Communist era societies. Capitalism has abused the idea of equity in health for centuries. Capitalism and our modern version of it needs no analogy outside of itself for inequity. The USA has never distributed health care equitably, and certainly won't do so under the stress of a pandemic.
    Was it private enterprise which manufactured the vaccine so quickly: Operation Warp Speed?
    Isn't it government that's in control of the actual vaccination process?

Thanks

Ray, I hear your frustration and understand it. And share it. I am 61, and my state is now "open" to vaccinations for 60+, but, well, let's just say that I can't even get someone to call me back. And all the online vax slots are full for 100 mile radius from where I live.
    It's not easy to get an appointment. My parents got theirs after trying for quite a number of days. At first, it was by desktop computer. But the website moved slowly and did not always list all the slots available. So it turned out a phone app had more slots, for whatever reason. I assume they'd be accessing the same bank of appointments, but apparently not. My mother went onto the app and found a couple of appointments available that were not on the computer. She began to fill out the app, but because of the small screen it was slow. By the time she hit "submit" the slot was already taken by someone else. This actually happened to my parents each 3 times - appointment available on the app, but it's gone by the time you finish the form. Finally they got appointments about a month, maybe 5 weeks out from their submission. They're both over 70 and still not vaccinated... this weekend hopefully it will happen.

All you can do is keep trying, eventually, hopefully it will happen.

I fully agree with age-based priorities for the vaccination and with nursing home and health care worker vaccination priorities. The issue seems to be that once the process goes into motion, chaos and opaque excuse-making come into play. Someone who is 50 and hanging around at Walgreen's gets a vaccine because they happen to have a couple left at the end of the day, but someone who is 75 or 91 falls into the abyss of online appointment-making that may or may not actually pan out. Someone who is 60 and has a "friend" in the right place gets a vaccine, but others who are over 60 continue to struggle with finding an appointment, and even that may fall through. It's really frustrating.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post

All you can do is keep trying, eventually, hopefully it will happen.

Agreed. Hang in there.

I am a teacher, and a younger colleague (different department) tested positive a week ago, and has now declined and been admitted to the hospital. Getting people vaccinated as quickly as possible will, in fact, save lives, at all ages.

Thanks

Vaccine withheld: moving too fast?

https://sentinelksmo.org/kelly-admin...ent-mechanism/

Thanks

My sister and her husband (mid-30s) got vaccinated the other day. It turns out that volunteering at their church's youth camp makes them essential childcare workers, or something. I was pissed at first that they should get to jump the line for such a flimsy excuse. But I can't blame them, really. And as someone else said upthread, the more people vaccinated, the better for all of us.

My dad got his first shot recently - second in about 2 weeks. He went through the VA. My stepmom got her first shot yesterday, through one of the local health insurance conglomerates.

I think I qualify when the next tier opens up. I am in "virtual" line with my health insurance company and with another local provider.

We would all like it to be much faster, to be sure. But it is moving.

Thanks

I've had the inital and booster Moderna.

Thanks

My parents finally received their first vaccinations. The little things are heavily regimented, but the grand scheme is chaos. The site itself is highly-regimented: you're told where to stand, when to move up in line, etc. There was a woman counting off the orders- "move forward", "wait", "stand here", etc... like a mixture of the DMV and a Soviet breadline. But the gears inside the machine are not so organized. They check that you are at the site on the correct day, but they do not pay attention to the time of your appointment. As long as you show up on the correct day, they take you. My parents were among the last to be vaccinated around 10:00 AM or so. They waited behind someone with a 9AM appointment and then someone with a 1:30pm appointment. Show up early if you plan to get the vaccine.

There was only enough vaccine to last a couple hours, then they ran out and turned away everyone left in line. They were told to go home and re-book. I'm glad my parents got their first shots finally, but if I had been one of the people turned away, I would have been pretty mad. There was a good bit of grumbling from the people sent away. The ironic thing is some had shown up on-time for their appointments, but there simply was no vaccine to be had. I talked to a colleague yesterday who had the same -- pick your day and show up early. Don't mind the time you are given.

The young doctor my parents saw was very nice. He admitted they were not receiving enough vaccine to handle the appointments made. It was nice to hear what everyone seems to be experiencing rather than the usual propaganda about "relief packages", "operations" and "plans". I suppose this doctor has to deal in facts for a living. After just a couple hours of functioning, things shut down because of shortages. The rest of the people in line... turned away and told to go back on the phone app or computer to re-book. Of course, there's the chance the same thing could happen again. A couple of the people turned away complained this was the second time this had happened to them: get an appointment, show up, be regimented closely in line, then sent home. I'm glad my parents made it through vaccination 1 and were not among those turned away still. So there's a chance you'll be vaccinated if you are eligible, but there's a chance you get right up to the end of the process, and then sent home with nothing at all. It's better to be in front of the cut-off point rather than behind it.

I suppose it always "can be worse". I saw a set of clients the other day who tried to get vaccinated in a neighboring state, and they found it even worse there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Still trying to book a date for me. All sites w/50 miles of me are booked up in minutes each day. I am on wait lists, but who knows if anyone is using them.

Thanks

The way we found appointments was to go onto the app right when the appointments would hit - this was like at 11 at night.

Thanks

Yeah, might be midnight for me. Middle of the night for me....

Thanks

I stayed up past midnight and *almost* got a spot...

But then this morning, rather randomly, both my wife and I were able to book vaxes for next week in the same location at the same time! Weirdly accommodating! 20 mile drive to the nearest Walmart pharmacy. Do some shopping there before I head home. The system in Maine isn't entirely broken, but if you're elderly, alone, and not computer savy, you are shit out of luck thus far.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Ray-VIgo (March 10th, 2021)

Thanks

It was probably a spot that opened up at random. We found that open appointments often would hit in a bloc late at night (11 PM in our case), or would appear at random, one or two here and there. According to the doctor we talked to, people will make an appointment, but then luck out and get the vaccine sooner, causing a release of that person's later appointment, and thus causing the one-off opening to hit the database. A one-week lag time is actually a very good result. Several weeks or a month is common to wait.

It's really, really tough if you aren't good with a computer. My grandmother is 91 and still not vaccinated. She has never used a computer, so still waiting on her appointment that was set up through my parents (who at least use and own a computer, though are by no means expert). Eventually... hopefully it will all happen.

Thanks

It's good the hear you guys are getting an opportunity to get your vaccines. It would be nice if they came with tags we could wear around our necks.

Thanks

I just want a chip inserted into my forehead. That way I don't have to carry anything around. Seems easier to me.

Thanks

Interesting small study from the CDC of a classroom and the consequences there of having an unmasked, unvaccinated teacher:

[URL=https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/unvaccinated-unmasked-teacher-spreads-covid-19-elementary-school-students-cdc-n1277852[/URL]
    Last edited by TSherbs; August 30th, 2021 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

Latest from my state.

Come on, Maine!

Bangor Daily News: Maine now has the highest COVID-19 case rate in New England.

https://bangordailynews.com/2021/09/...r-day-weekend/

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk