Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grail brands not grail pens

Thanks

Default Re: Grail brands not grail pens

I have had two Moores, I bought a job lot of old boxes and one of them was a Moore, it had been used by Moore to post a pen back to its Boston owner in 1926, so I searched and found a suitable pen for that box. I then bought a very small Moore, no more than 4.5 inches, so scruffy that I thought it was black, it cleaned up to show a midnight blue colour. The nib was poor so I bought a Moore #4, that pen was a delight but just a little small for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    The IP address of Ilikenails has been obtained and a report made to the Police in respect of an offence under the Malicious Communications Act, it is a reminder to all that Persons engaging in Internet trolling are immediately committing an offence under this Act.
    No, it's not actually illegal to point out that someone is ignorant, not even if you call it "trolling" because you're a bleach drinking hypocrite. However attacking people on the basis of race, nationality and sex, as your little group of nuts have done may well be illegal.

Unfortunately, no, you pompous idiot, you can't get an IP address from a forum post. If you're going to lie, find someone who can explain to how to do it intelligently...

However, you have just committed an actual, unambiguous offence under UK and US criminal law: faking a report to the police **is** harassment, by definition. It takes a real cretin to do this publicly... (And btw, you silly, silly little man - I've taken a screenshot and had friends do the same, so there's no point editing.)
    Please, ilikenails, life is a hard path to live. Times are difficult with this pandemic, and all. Can't you, please have a calm discussion? Can't you point your disagreement without acrimony? I am certain yoou can, and I believe you are probably right in some of your sayings: but the way you defend them is so agressive that it is hard to agree with you.

We all come here to exchange ideas, informations points of view, calmly, sitting in our sofas, confortably installed. Let us keep a calm and relax dicussion, here: there is enough violence outside.

Thank you in advance, ilikenails.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 27th, 2020), catbert (April 27th, 2020), dneal (April 27th, 2020), welch (May 6th, 2020)

Thanks

PS - We have a superbe weapon, in the internet: we can ignore people with whom we disagree, or think are not worth it. There are people I don't like, I ignore, them, and don't participate to their threads.

Try to do the same.

I am certain you know a lot about pens: share with us, without violence, please.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 27th, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (April 28th, 2020)

Thanks

My grail brand would be Hakase, because I like some of their materials, especially the horn, I like the fact all is handmade, and that the nibs are personally adjusted to our own writting.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    My grail brand would be Hakase, because I like some of their materials, especially the horn, I like the fact all is handmade, and that the nibs are personally adjusted to our own writting.
    A Hakase is a good choice. A Romillo is probably my grail pen, slightly above the Hakase.

Thanks

Yes, I agree with you, but I thought they didn’t work anymore. Fake news?
    Last edited by fountainpagan; April 28th, 2020 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpagan View Post
    Yes, I agrée with you, but I thought they didn’t work anymore. Fake news?
    Since their webpage doesn’t work anymore, they might be out of business. I don’t know...

Thanks

I read about Romillo stopping operations on Bruno Taut's blog. His posts are credible, so I don't think these are fake news.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahriman4891 For This Useful Post:

dneal (April 28th, 2020), fountainpagan (April 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Too many voices are saying the same, hence the info is real. It is true they were having quality issues.
    Last edited by fountainpagan; April 28th, 2020 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks

It seems tough to find a Montblanc "mid-range" pen, since they went eliminate ranges about 1970, going all-luxury. Maybe look for something like the Montblanc 22 or the 31. They were smaller, about five inches long, thinner, piston filler, but very elegant. I have a 31 with one of the best nibs in all my accumulation.

The 22 and 31 seem to sell for $100 - $125 on EBay.

Thanks

Goldfink counts or is it considered a like a Brad Torelli, i.e. an artisan piece one different from the other?

Thanks

Just to put a spin on things, there is an argument for not having your grail pen, a little like marrying the perfect person, you stop looking after that. You can admire but that is as far as it goes.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,644 Posts

Danitrio, specifically the Chinkin Seiryu. A true Grail for me, ie unobtainable, to be sought forever and glimpsed only in the distance.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Danitrio, specifically the Chinkin Seiryu. A true Grail for me, ie unobtainable, to be sought forever and glimpsed only in the distance.
    Ah, so then, would you say your quest for a Sailor Black Velvet Pro Gear is a sort of dalliance, as it were, along the way?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    Just to put a spin on things, there is an argument for not having your grail pen, a little like marrying the perfect person, you stop looking after that. You can admire but that is as far as it goes.
    I've noticed this concept of a "grail" often being used and discussed. More often than not, its an object that has a legendary reputation, but is in short supply for those who want one. It's has caused me to question why something so esteemed are in such short supply. Is it because they have all be bought up or is it because few were manufactured? If you are making pens and the demand is good, you don't limit the supply by only making a few.

In the case of the original "holy grail" there was only one and it's significance depends on hearsay and legend. I suspect that when applied to pens, many depend upon hearsay and legend rather than actual use. I would think that a person who considers a model or brand a "grail" would first have to have some sort of experience before making it their most desirable object for writing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I've noticed this concept of a "grail" often being used and discussed. More often than not, its an object that has a legendary reputation, but is in short supply for those who want one. It's has caused me to question why something so esteemed are in such short supply. Is it because they have all be bought up or is it because few were manufactured? If you are making pens and the demand is good, you don't limit the supply by only making a few.

In the case of the original "holy grail" there was only one and it's significance depends on hearsay and legend. I suspect that when applied to pens, many depend upon hearsay and legend rather than actual use. I would think that a person who considers a model or brand a "grail" would first have to have some sort of experience before making it their most desirable object for writing.

I have been using pens for a long time now, measured in decades and my target or grail pen kept moving along. It was always a pen that I couldn't quite justify the cost compared to the benefit or pleasure that I might obtain. One of the oldest goals was a 60s 149 but I just put that on the back burner. Then I wanted a Vacumatic, then an Imperial Vac and then I wanted a sample of every Duovac. When I found a Duovac set in the original Active Service leather pouch I stopped that collecting arm.

My new grail was old MBs but after I had bought a 139 I stopped that collection too.

I admire Conids but only because of the design engineering behind them, not really a grail though.

My original thought was finding your grail isn't neccesarily a good thing, I keep thinking, 'what now'.

Thanks

I have been using pens for a long time now, measured in decades and my target or grail pen kept moving along. It was always a pen that I couldn't quite justify the cost compared to the benefit or pleasure that I might obtain. One of the oldest goals was a 60s 149 but I just put that on the back burner. Then I wanted a Vacumatic, then an Imperial Vac and then I wanted a sample of every Duovac. When I found a Duovac set in the original Active Service leather pouch I stopped that collecting arm.

My new grail was old MBs but after I had bought a 139 I stopped that collection too.

I admire Conids but only because of the design engineering behind them, not really a grail though.

My original thought was finding your grail isn't neccesarily a good thing, I keep thinking, 'what now'.
    Maybe as long as you are asking “what now”, whatever it was was not your grail.

I’m curious if you find a sought after pen easily if it’s as valued as if you searched for decades?

Thanks

Maybe as long as you are asking “what now”, whatever it was was not your grail.

I’m curious if you find a sought after pen easily if it’s as valued as if you searched for decades?
    These were my grail pens at the time, for example I had seen the Vacs on David I's site, I liked what I saw and waited until I could find the best example of the type that I could afford, sometimes doing a little trading for what I actually wanted, for example I picked up a '37 VACUMATIC pen, traded that for the Imp.

I didn't say that I found the pens 'easily' it took a lot of networking, research and pen shows and saving up.

I don't actually understand your point, are you being a little testy perhaps?

Thanks

I did spend a couple decade or two chasing first one then another grail and had the same experience as Johnny S. It seems to be the pens i wasn’t chasing that ended up being more satisfying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

If you are making pens and the demand is good, you don't limit the supply by only making a few.
    If we are talking about new pens, a manufacturer could limit supply as a way of cultivating brand exclusivity and image, keeping prices high, and maximizing resale value, I suppose.

The term Grail gets thrown around a lot. The original is associated with very long, obsessive quests, with many dangers and challenges, as captured in the excellent documentaries "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"...

Some folks use the term to mean "next pen I want really badly that requires saving more than normal", some use it as "that pen I want but can't afford or can't justify spending the money on, so I am waiting to find a sumgai deal". I'm sure other meanings have been addressed in other threads. I'm kind of in the latter camp, FWIW.

If I could find a crazy deal on Pelikan Ocean Swirl or a Vanishing Point Raden Stripe those would be "Grail" pens.

I suppose a real Grail would be a pen my parents or grandparents owned. I have no idea what they used or if they even used pens at all and I can't think of any of the old documents and photos that would give me a clue, so basically it's a near impossible quest.