Thread: Just a simple Targa - but my first 14K nib

Thanks

Default Just a simple Targa - but my first 14K nib

Just today I received this new (for me) Targa. It's a 1001xg, 1st version. It cames with the original box and booklet, so according to the booklet, the pen is from 1976 - 1980 (as in the 80's the booklet design changed a bit)

The 1001xg is the Brushed Steel one (I prefer metal pens and try to buy only metal ones) with a Fine 14K nib and gold plated clip.

The pen is not mint, but near, just one very subtle scratch in the cap. It's used, as the mark for the nib width is faded - still visible, but you need to look carefully for it.

It's my first gold nib, and my first Sheaffer inlaid nib too... and I'm in love. Smoooooooth, a bit in the wet side but still usable with copy paper... and of course, a pleasure to use in my Tomoe notebooks.

Just inked with Diamine Twilight and wrote a couple of pages, the original conversor is in perfect shape, no leaks, just three squeezes and ready to use.

Overall, I'm very, VERY happy with it. It's going to be my EDC pen - sharing case with my Faber Castell Essentio. Love the clean, minimalist design, and the size is just perfect for my taste - I think the slim versions would be TOO slim!

Last edited by aremesal; April 22nd, 2020 at 12:12 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aremesal For This Useful Post:

amk (April 23rd, 2020), azkid (April 22nd, 2020), carlos.q (April 22nd, 2020), Lady Onogaro (April 22nd, 2020), Marsilius (April 22nd, 2020), silverlifter (April 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Just a simple Targa - but my first 14K nib

I bought my Sheaffer Targa 1001 (matte black) in 1983 and have used it constantly since then. It still writes like a dream. Although it looks a little worse for wear and tear after all that time.

Congrats on picking up such a stellar pen. It will serve you well, and those that come after you!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 22nd, 2020)

Thanks

Very nice. The 1001xg may be my favorite Targa.

I usually am not crazy about gold and gold plated furniture on pens. Most of them have it so i have learned to ignore it. However, on the 1001xg it looks great.

It just so happens that i was adding to the grocery list with my Targa 1001xg just before arriving at this thread. My first collecting focus was Parker flighters and there was a bit of spillover into other stainless pens. Of my stainless pens, the 1001xg gets the most use. Its italic steel nib is smooth from use, yet it’s still crisp. One of these days i’ll get another with a 14k fine or extra fine for grading papers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Beautiful pen and a great find with the original box and papers. Wow. I've never used one but I have no doubt it's a top quality writing instrument. Enjoy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Very nice. The 1001xg may be my favorite Targa.

I usually am not crazy about gold and gold plated furniture on pens. Most of them have it so i have learned to ignore it. However, on the 1001xg it looks great.

It just so happens that i was adding to the grocery list with my Targa 1001xg just before arriving at this thread. My first collecting focus was Parker flighters and there was a bit of spillover into other stainless pens. Of my stainless pens, the 1001xg gets the most use. Its italic steel nib is smooth from use, yet it’s still crisp. One of these days i’ll get another with a 14k fine or extra fine for grading papers.
    In fact, I don't like so much the gold plated trims... but these models were like that: gold + gold, or steel + chromed. It would be perfect for me with the 14K nib but chromed clip... but I'm happy anyway

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Beautiful pen and a great find with the original box and papers. Wow. I've never used one but I have no doubt it's a top quality writing instrument. Enjoy!
    Yes, in fact the vendor only sent me (a lot of) photos of the pen, and just said "I will send with box". I was a beatiful surprise to get the original box and papers