Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (article) Why we should all be keeping coronavirus journals

Thanks

Default Re: (article) Why we should all be keeping coronavirus journals

I wish I could write with much more style, if I could I would write more in the hope that one day I would read it and and really enjoy looking back at the grace of my words on the page, but I am beyond hope.

I thought it would be good to try and channel some Hemingway into what I wrote but there are only a limited number of times that you can start a sentence with 'they come down from the mountains and the hills. the valleys echoed to their footsteps, their boots were wet and gave them pain but they came to the Church door, out of respect for Johnny, or at least his father.' or 'How little we know of of what a good ink and pen this may be, just what is there to know. I wish that I were going to live a long time to explain it all instead of knowing that the virus will kill me this day, because I have learned much about life and how it is set down before me.

My other great favorite is Garrison Keillor but after I have written “That's the trouble with the lakeside stories they all result in knowing that all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above-average, the pens are Fine but not so as you would notice".

I think I need to read more and write less before I dare attempt journalling.
    Last edited by Johnny_S; May 3rd, 2020 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks

As part of my work I have to keep a lot of records, mostly on a device. I do keep a couple of small journals with me for random thoughts that I may want to look at again some time. Not that I write a lot. It's a little and often that works for me. As a piece of advice, Johnny_S, try not to get too hung up on 'beautiful word' or 'style'. These aspects will emerge from regular practice rather than any attempt to emulate another author. Besides which I have no doubt that most if not all writers live in same state of disappointment with their writing. It's natural.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    As a piece of advice, Johnny_S, try not to get too hung up on 'beautiful word' or 'style'. These aspects will emerge from regular practice rather than any attempt to emulate another author.
    I was just about to say the same. Those times when I was writing book club letters on the regular my writing improved. Or when I was doing a lot of technical writing, I learned to be more concise and precise.

Maybe it is easier to write when you are writing for someone else. I am trying to write a journal that my daughter will read someday. When I find motivation it is somehow more satisfying to write for her than make notes for myself. I also find writing in this way helps me clarify my thinking.

Thanks

Not quite as on point as a journal but there is a site where you can send an email to your future self.

https://www.futureme.org/

I did one in 2006, no idea what I wrote to myself!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    I wish I could write with much more style, if I could I would write more in the hope that one day I would read it and and really enjoy looking back at the grace of my words on the page, but I am beyond hope.

I thought it would be good to try and channel some Hemingway into what I wrote but there are only a limited number of times that you can start a sentence with 'they come down from the mountains and the hills. the valleys echoed to their footsteps, their boots were wet and gave them pain but they came to the Church door, out of respect for Johnny, or at least his father.' or 'How little we know of of what a good ink and pen this may be, just what is there to know. I wish that I were going to live a long time to explain it all instead of knowing that the virus will kill me this day, because I have learned much about life and how it is set down before me.

My other great favorite is Garrison Keillor but after I have written “That's the trouble with the lakeside stories they all result in knowing that all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above-average, the pens are Fine but not so as you would notice".

I think I need to read more and write less before I dare attempt journalling.
    I think that you can go right ahead, your Hemingway style is impressive, even if you only write for yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I find that my journals ebb and flow, especially when life gets hectic or stressful. There are other plays going on on my stage right now and I noted yesterday not a single mention of the virus or it’s impact on my world have been noted in the journal. I journal to go inward and what I write is not the work of an historian.

But when I think of the Civil War diarists so often quoted in Shelby Foote’s 3 Volume History of the Civil War, I’m glad someone is attending to it!

Trivia: Shelby Foote wrote all of his work first drafts with a dip pen...
    Last edited by VertOlive; May 4th, 2020 at 05:49 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

And that dip pen was an Esterbrook 313 Probate.
    https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/...-of-the-trade/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (May 5th, 2020), VertOlive (May 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I'd love to try that one... but it sounds like he bought them all.

I just got an inkwell and a new bottle of Speedball Super Black India ink so maybe I need to try doing some writing with it again.

(The other bottle evaporated and rather than attempting to reconstitute it and ending up with something subpar, for the price I figured just get a whole new bottle).
    Last edited by azkid; May 4th, 2020 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    And that dip pen was an Esterbrook 313 Probate.
    https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/...-of-the-trade/
    Wow. That was a great article, with several theft-worthy pen quotes! Thank you.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve been keeping a journal since 2003. I used to go through about one jornal per year. Since January I have gone through 3. I just began my 4th last night. Granted, I have been home like the rest, but it is quite amazing to think that we are living through something that will mark a milestone in history.