Thread: Montblanc 149 nibs

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Montblanc 149 nibs

Whatever name is used for them ( Hebrew, Arabic, architect) certain EF and F Montblanc nibs from a few decades ago have a distinctive wedge-shaped iridium tip. They give a wide horizontal and narrow vertical line. When I first got one, an F nib 149 purchased 1981, I didn't really like the effect. The writing appeared strange because it was the opposite of conventional nib flexibility or softness which produced the opposite effect: wide vertical and narrow horizontal. Now, these nibs are among my favorite 149 nibs.

Pictured below are three 149 nibs which are wedge shaped. L to R, they date from early 1980s, late 1970s, mid-1980s. The writing samples shown are in the same order. Although it may not appear so clear in the samples, the nibs do produce the effect of what is currently termed architect. Also shown are my wife's two 144 nibs. They date from 1990s and have the same characteristic nib.

By the way, does someone know the origin of the term "architect nib"? I have heard stories, but nothing definitive. I assume it is a misnomer, though catchy. The architects and civil engineers I knew years ago used Rapidograph, Rotring, an Osmiroid stylographic needle-point pens for extremely thin lines. They did not want any line variety whatsoever.

Stay healthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (April 24th, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (April 24th, 2020)