Thread: Help Identifying a pen and getting some history if possible.

Thanks

Question Help Identifying a pen and getting some history if possible.

Hi All
    I have had this pen for ages, and just really taken it for granted. It has a waterman Pegasus ideal nib ( See pics) and is a white metal body, No marks whatsoever exept the No 154 Stamped next to the cartouch space. It is obviously deco and quite chunky and short. Button filling and a lovely pen to write with. Im guessing not silver as I can no see any hallmarks at all anywhere on it, very very solidly made and heavy.
    I bought it in an online auction for a few quid marked as waterman Pegasus no 15 mostly because i thought it looked rather cool and old and it was cheap. But there is no reference material to be found any where when those words are used in a search ( even though it is on the nib).
    So what could it be? Is it an old waterman ( bought from France originally by me) or is it a concoction?
    What date? and was it made for a specific use?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 10,479 Times in 4,007 Posts

Default Re: Help Identifying a pen and getting some history if possible.

I suggest you get some warm soapy water and dip a cotton bud into it to wash clean those stamped numbers. Then check out that stamped mark more carefully under magnification. The numbers in the picture don't look like 154 to me. That last digit is a 5.

If it is 925 then it could be a silver stamp. It might even be a silver stamp if it's 915.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I suggest you get some warm soapy water and dip a cotton bud into it to wash clean those stamped numbers. Then check out that stamped mark more carefully under magnification. The numbers in the picture don't look like 154 to me. That last digit is a 5.

If it is 925 then it could be a silver stamp. It might even be a silver stamp if it's 915.
    915 (91.5%, with the rest being copper) would be the standard silver content used out of Spain after 1934.

925 being 'Sterling' in UK, US, Ireland, Denmark, Netherlands, etc.

If that is the case then maybe it'll hopefully narrow the pen down geographically to Spain.

Thanks

The stamp is Letters followed by numbers No 15 (the o being on the top of the line in the old fashioned abbreviation for number)

Thanks

It looks like N°15

Nib is a Waterman Idéal #2

Thanks
    Thanked 10,479 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martinjfrost View Post
    The stamp is Letters followed by numbers No 15 (the o being on the top of the line in the old fashioned abbreviation for number)
    Yes I can see it does indeed say N°15 now I'm on my iMac and not on my MacBook.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

From the information provided I would guesstimate this is a Waterman button filler with a custom made silver overlay made by some Spanish jeweler between 1934-1936....

Thanks

Thanks all, I decided to do a bit of investigating as to whether the pen was silver, obvioulsy i dont have nitric acid. But the ice test melts ice cubes at a very great speed and the barrel and cap and blind cap are all non magnetic the clip is magnetic. So im guessing that it is indeed a waterman pen with a sliver sleeve over the top of it. The threads for the blind cap are also silver so the silver smith ed theory is the best one. Its quite the chunk of metal - I wish i could find out more about its history but as i said, baught on a whim from an ebayer in france for fifteen pounds and that all I know. As I said its a nice thing to write with if a little heavy. Seems that someone also loved it enough to have it set in silver at some point.