Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

  1. #1
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 537 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Clearly I need more storage.

    The leather 3-Pen case is one I had custom made for me by 3Wunder ( https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpen...6_years_later/ ) , that is pretty much my EDC 99.99% of the time when I leave the house.

    The Nock Co "Lookout" 3-pen case is my backup, usually for thicker pens.

    The Blue/Pink Nock Co Brasstown is my storage case.

    Other than those, I have a cheap plastic/felt 10-pen case like vendors use that I keep in my drawer as the additional storage.

    Would like to get some around the turn of the century (1900s to early 1920s) eventually (maybe with whatever I have left from the Stimulus check after paying off bills).

    The little Parker Duofold Vacumatic in the 'parts/restore' section is in need of a filler restoration and possibly a replacement "Parker Pen" nib as one tipping is bent/cracked but still hanging on. The spare nib next to it is a 14K Medium for a Sheaffer Snorkel, and a Lamy 1.9 that I don't use.

    Not shown that are 'inbound' is a Vinta Blue Parker 45, and a small lot of 5 pens in dire need of restoration (one of which is a Parker Challenger that's going to need a button).


  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

    Ahriman4891 (April 28th, 2020), catbert (April 28th, 2020), Marsilius (April 28th, 2020)

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 84 Times in 40 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Clearly I need more storage.

    The leather 3-Pen case is one I had custom made for me by 3Wunder ( https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpen...6_years_later/ ) , that is pretty much my EDC 99.99% of the time when I leave the house.

    The Nock Co "Lookout" 3-pen case is my backup, usually for thicker pens.

    The Blue/Pink Nock Co Brasstown is my storage case.

    Other than those, I have a cheap plastic/felt 10-pen case like vendors use that I keep in my drawer as the additional storage.

    Would like to get some around the turn of the century (1900s to early 1920s) eventually (maybe with whatever I have left from the Stimulus check after paying off bills).

    The little Parker Duofold Vacumatic in the 'parts/restore' section is in need of a filler restoration and possibly a replacement "Parker Pen" nib as one tipping is bent/cracked but still hanging on. The spare nib next to it is a 14K Medium for a Sheaffer Snorkel, and a Lamy 1.9 that I don't use.

    Not shown that are 'inbound' is a Vinta Blue Parker 45, and a small lot of 5 pens in dire need of restoration (one of which is a Parker Challenger that's going to need a button).

    I will bite the bullet and take some of those off your hands so you don't have to worry about adding more storage. Haha couldn't help myself. That is a very nice collection, I hope to be somewhere close to that one day.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,055
    Thanks
    659
    Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)


  5. #4
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 537 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Doesn't seem to link to anything.

  6. #5
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,055
    Thanks
    659
    Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Bummer. Search all forum titles only for “storage” to get two pages of suggestions.

  7. #6
    Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    114
    Thanked 59 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Alternative solution! (and MUCH lower cost)

    I could PM you my home address and send you some postage money via PayPal, you then box up several of those pens (say for example the 3 triumph nibbed sheaffers... and both of your parkers.) and send them to me. thereby clearing up space for 5 pens and one pencil!

    you have excellent taste in pens! (although you seem to be missing a "51"... or ten...)

    Alternatively, if you for some INEXPLICABLE reason decide you would rather SPEND money than save money by sending me pens... Then i wish you good luck on your quest.

    Personally, I wish we had a "Horrible Freight" (not a typo) in Canada, I would get one of those 90$ wooden tool chests with the green felt lining. Hell, I'd probably get two! https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...est-94538.html

    Good luck. don't forget to post what you end up with!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

    KBeezie (April 28th, 2020)

  9. #7
    Senior Member Lady Onogaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,147
    Thanks
    4,923
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 872 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Have you thought of that toolbox from Harbor Freight that folks recommend? I have a similar one I got from Costco, and it holds quite a lot of pens if you buy those pen inserts from Go Pens. You could also invest in some more Brasstown Rolls. I believe Brad Dowdy has a 25% off sale at Nock Co.
    Lady Onogaro

    "Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

    countrydirt (April 29th, 2020), KBeezie (April 28th, 2020)

  11. #8
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 537 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Alternative solution! (and MUCH lower cost)

    I could PM you my home address and send you some postage money via PayPal, you then box up several of those pens (say for example the 3 triumph nibbed sheaffers... and both of your parkers.) and send them to me. thereby clearing up space for 5 pens and one pencil!

    you have excellent taste in pens! (although you seem to be missing a "51"... or ten...)

    Alternatively, if you for some INEXPLICABLE reason decide you would rather SPEND money than save money by sending me pens... Then i wish you good luck on your quest.

    Personally, I wish we had a "Horrible Freight" (not a typo) in Canada, I would get one of those 90$ wooden tool chests with the green felt lining. Hell, I'd probably get two! https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...est-94538.html

    Good luck. don't forget to post what you end up with!

    Used to have a couple Parker 51s (a Corodvan Brown Vacumatic with a gold filled cap was my favorite, wouldn't mind getting something like that gain but with a more 'unique' nib), also had a few Parker 45s (preferred those over the 51 as a workhorse). I ended up winning a Vinta Blue Parker 45 for $16 last night (didn't think I'd be the only bidder), so that'll be coming soon, and I'll be on the look out for a 14K or 10K gold nib to put on it.

    But yes, I'm already looking into selling/trading a few to narrow it down to a few that I would like (or what I used to have but regret getting rid of), these for example : https://imgur.com/BhbilUp .

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Have you thought of that toolbox from Harbor Freight that folks recommend? I have a similar one I got from Costco, and it holds quite a lot of pens if you buy those pen inserts from Go Pens. You could also invest in some more Brasstown Rolls. I believe Brad Dowdy has a 25% off sale at Nock Co.
    Hadn't but something I need to consider. The brasstowns are decent so might get that again. Both of the Nock co ones were the short runs with the unique color combination they didn't offer standard.

  12. #9
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,055
    Thanks
    659
    Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Somewhere, there's a thread by david i about very compact plastic drawer units, the kind of thing with a footprint the size of a dictionary that could live on the corner of a desk, and yet hold a hundred pens or the like.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    KBeezie (April 28th, 2020)

  14. #10
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,656
    Thanks
    2,848
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 637 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    I keep my pens in this type of zippered portfolio.

    https://www.penchalet.com/pen_access...BoCYE4QAvD_BwE

    One of mine is a 48 pen carry case, PU leather I got on eBay for about $25. The first one I got was a 20 slot "leather" case on eBay for $15.

    Search for "Fountain Pen Case Carry 48 Handle Pu Leather"
    Last edited by azkid; April 28th, 2020 at 03:33 PM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

    KBeezie (April 28th, 2020)

  16. #11
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 537 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    I tend to want to avoid the cheaper zipper cases unless there's extra protections and the material is acid free without elastics etching into the material over time.

  17. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    I use Rickshaw pen rolls for storing my pens. Love the plush. Though I have consider retrofitting a jewelry some type of box with lid with inserts to create a more substantial pen storage.

    Good luck! I'd like to know what you come up with too!

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to mystoryfornow For This Useful Post:

    KBeezie (April 28th, 2020)

  19. #13
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,055
    Thanks
    659
    Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    This is what I use. It was a 7-drawer map chest from an online business years ago, the name of which is lost. I upgraded the drawer pulls. Gary Lehrer's flocked 48-pen trays are a perfect fit.


  20. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    KBeezie (April 28th, 2020)

  21. #14
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 537 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    This is what I use. It was a 7-drawer map chest from an online business years ago, the name of which is lost. I upgraded the drawer pulls. Gary Lehrer's flocked 48-pen trays are a perfect fit.
    Very nice I don't see myself going that many. Going to see if maybe I can find a 2-tray thing that I can set down inserts in, preferably something I can keep vented.

  22. #15
    Senior Member Lady Onogaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,147
    Thanks
    4,923
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 872 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    You might also consider old jewelry boxes. Some of those might work. I have my pens in a repurposed one I got from Pendemonium at a show a while back.
    Lady Onogaro

    "Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

    KBeezie (April 28th, 2020)

  24. #16
    Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    385
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 674 Times in 203 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    I agree: the necessary storage just keeps growing. I expanded into two Gerstner tool chests, and could use maybe one or two more drawers.

    I'm at the point of wondering about editing the collection.

  25. #17
    Senior Member KBeezie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 537 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    I agree: the necessary storage just keeps growing. I expanded into two Gerstner tool chests, and could use maybe one or two more drawers.

    I'm at the point of wondering about editing the collection.
    It's funny because at one time I had a lot more, and shrunk it

    so for example this was 2015 (which was nearly half of what I had the previous year, which were mostly Chinese cheapies):



    Then by 2016 I reduced it down to this :



    The goal since 2016-ish was to try to get it down to about a dozen (either by selling, or by trading multiples for a single pen like I did a couple times this year), but it's like a little bit of a roller coaster.

    PS: In the first picture is the little plastic felt tray I keep in my drawer for pens that don't go into the roll case.

  26. #18
    Senior Member azkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,656
    Thanks
    2,848
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 637 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    I tend to want to avoid the cheaper zipper cases unless there's extra protections and the material is acid free without elastics etching into the material over time.
    Had not heard of that as a possibility. Source?

  27. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 179 Times in 99 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    I remember a time when I kept my collection in travel cases. I didn't feel comfortable leaving them at home (lots of curious little kids) so I took them to work every day, and I didn't feel comfortable leaving them in a cubical, so I took everything home at night. I am much happier with more permanent storage (and a private office at work that's much more secure than a cubical). I bought the recommended Harbor Freight box and some pen trays and it worked great. Little did I know my wife had just purchased a similarly sized Gerstner case for my Father's Day gift, which unfortunately fell just outside the Harbor Freight return window. So now the Harbor Freight box sits unused because it's too big to sell and ship and I don't have other uses for it. But the Gerstner box is fantastic. I also have a 20-pen Venlo case that I was given and between those two boxes I keep 95% of my collection (I still have the travel cases but they rarely get used). I have a self-imposed limit on my collection size based on what fits in these two cases. I'm a little above this maximum now but that's because I haven't had time to list a few pens I plan to sell. Going forward, if I want to add a pen, I have to sell a pen (or maybe I can "give" a pen to one of my kids and just store it for them).

  28. #20
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,055
    Thanks
    659
    Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,349 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: I'm going to need more storage options... (current line up)

    Put tools in the Harbor Freight box!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •