Thread: How to properly clean a sac converter? And which converter for a Targa?

Thanks

Default How to properly clean a sac converter? And which converter for a Targa?

Every time I want to clean a sac converter (Parker, Sheaffer...) for changing to another ink, I'm a bit paranoid: could I break/ruin it by repeatedly pushing and releasing in order to flush until clean? And then, how to be sure it's dry inside before filling again, as I don't want to dilute the new ink?

How do you clean/flush it?

I flush it same as I do with piston converters, absorbing and releasing clean water until no more ink; but because of the sac being rubber and because of its age (both are 70's converters...) I'm really paranoid about reducing its life by doing that way...

Are there any other cleaning methods that I should do instead?

Or, do you recommend to change it for a modern piston converter? If so, which model would work in my Sheaffer Targa - standard, NOT slim?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: How to properly clean a sac converter? And which converter for a Targa?

I flush them in a manner that I flush out cartridges that I reuse in a pen instead of any kind of converter - all you need is a blunt needle syringe. Fill the syringe with water, insert the needle into the squeeze converter, and then expel the water out of the syringe with a good amount of force. Just refill syringe with clear water and repeat until the water coming out of the converter is clear. Then squeeze or shake out any of the excess water, tap the open end a few times on a paper towel to get out as much (all?) the moisture as possible, and then you are ready to fill with ink (I also do this with a syringe... carefully.

This completely avoids squeezing the sack, but also makes one think "hey, I could just be doing this with an empty cartridge, which is both a larger capacity and it is transparent and I can see what is going on and what ink is in there and how much is left". I mean, if you aren't going to be squeezing...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 29th, 2020), catbert (April 28th, 2020), mhosea (April 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: How to properly clean a sac converter? And which converter for a Targa?

Captain Obvious sez: If you are truly worried about diluting the next fill of ink, have spare converters to rotate to enable them to dry.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 29th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Captain Fountain Pen sez: If you are truly worried about diluting the next fill of ink, have spare pens to rotate to enable them to dry. Actually just have spare pens anyway, because, hey, Captain Fountain Pen, right?
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 29th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Captain Gel Pen sez: Hold my beer.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Stick to Skrip washable blue and never think about this again

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aremesal View Post
    Every time I want to clean a sac converter (Parker, Sheaffer...) for changing to another ink, I'm a bit paranoid: could I break/ruin it by repeatedly pushing and releasing in order to flush until clean? And then, how to be sure it's dry inside before filling again, as I don't want to dilute the new ink?

How do you clean/flush it?

I flush it same as I do with piston converters, absorbing and releasing clean water until no more ink; but because of the sac being rubber and because of its age (both are 70's converters...) I'm really paranoid about reducing its life by doing that way...

Are there any other cleaning methods that I should do instead?

Or, do you recommend to change it for a modern piston converter? If so, which model would work in my Sheaffer Targa - standard, NOT slim?

Thanks!
    The Sheaffer piston converter fits a Targa Classic. I use nothing other than these in my Sheaffer Targas.
    Also available on Amazon.com or at Pentooling item #SH CONV $15

If you wish to stick with a sac converter then look for the type with a red base. These have pli-glass sacs similar to those in Parker 51 aerometrics that are better than the regular latex version.

The other alternative is to use a rubber ear bulb for flushing plenty of water through the pen and flush the converter fewer times.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 29th, 2020 at 12:19 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 29th, 2020), mhosea (April 28th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Don't throw the black end converters away though - I restore them with PVC sacs.

Instead of a using a converter, buy a desoldering bulb. Throw away the teflon tip, and the bulb will fit over the section thread bushing - and is less likely to blow off. You'll find them on Ebay, or partsexpress.com

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 29th, 2020), Chrissy (April 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Thank you everyone for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I flush them in a manner that I flush out cartridges that I reuse in a pen instead of any kind of converter - all you need is a blunt needle syringe. Fill the syringe with water, insert the needle into the squeeze converter, and then expel the water out of the syringe with a good amount of force. Just refill syringe with clear water and repeat until the water coming out of the converter is clear. Then squeeze or shake out any of the excess water, tap the open end a few times on a paper towel to get out as much (all?) the moisture as possible, and then you are ready to fill with ink (I also do this with a syringe... carefully.

This completely avoids squeezing the sack, but also makes one think "hey, I could just be doing this with an empty cartridge, which is both a larger capacity and it is transparent and I can see what is going on and what ink is in there and how much is left". I mean, if you aren't going to be squeezing...
    I've done it with some other pens I didn't have a converter, but reusing cartridges is not my favorite method... over the use the wear and the fit is not perfect, so I need to buy new cartridges and use that ink before I could use the ink I like...

I was thinking in using the syringe for the sack converter too, but as I'm a novice in the FP world was wondering if maybe there is a better method to clean it

I use the syringe too to fill converters sometimes, when the ink in the bottle (specially in the small demo vials) is not enough to be absorbed by the pen itself

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Captain Obvious sez: If you are truly worried about diluting the next fill of ink, have spare converters to rotate to enable them to dry.
    Yes, just bought a new converter so I can rotate - that's why I asked too which converter suits the Targa

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Captain Fountain Pen sez: If you are truly worried about diluting the next fill of ink, have spare pens to rotate to enable them to dry. Actually just have spare pens anyway, because, hey, Captain Fountain Pen, right?
    That's not in my plans... I'm a kind of minimalist, I only own exactly what I use everyday, and nothing else. In fact, right now I have the Targa and a Faber Castell as my EDC, and then a P45 Flighter sitting in a drawer in my desktop... and I feel stressed for having too much pens, so thinking in selling or giving away the P45. I know, it's an issue of me

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Stick to Skrip washable blue and never think about this again
    If obligated, I could stick to the Skrip Purple, but blue... a starndard blue... a never use it!

If I could use only one ink, I'll give up the whole FP thing

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The Sheaffer piston converter fits a Targa Classic. I use nothing other than these in my Sheaffer Targas.
    Also available on Amazon.com or at Pentooling item #SH CONV $15

If you wish to stick with a sac converter then look for the type with a red base. These have pli-glass sacs similar to those in Parker 51 aerometrics that are better than the regular latex version.

The other alternative is to use a rubber ear bulb for flushing plants of water through the pen and flush the converter less times.
    That's great, thank you. I found some SH-86700 converters in a vendor near me (I live in Thailand) so order already. Good to know the current converter fits the "classic" Targa, thank you!

I already have the ear bulb for flushing the pens that don't have a converter at all, will use it with the Targa and P45 too, and then a syringe to flush the converter itself. But as said, already ordered a piston one, so I can use the sturdy and cheap "modern" one instead of the original sac.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Don't throw the black end converters away though - I restore them with PVC sacs.

Instead of a using a converter, buy a desoldering bulb. Throw away the teflon tip, and the bulb will fit over the section thread bushing - and is less likely to blow off. You'll find them on Ebay, or partsexpress.com
    That's very interesting! Mine is still working flawlessly, but I was a bit worried about abusing it. I'll look for more information about restoring a sac, for sure, thank you!

Thanks

I'm pleased you mentioned that because I remembered afterwards I hadn't said it. I restore them too. I even bought a crochet hook specially for pulling out the end plug.
    Please can you advise what size sacs you use for the slimline and the classic sized converters?
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 29th, 2020 at 01:10 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Classic is, I think, a #16. Slim would likely be a 14.

Visit Main Street Pens

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 29th, 2020), Chrissy (April 29th, 2020)

Thanks

Classic is, I think, a #16. Slim would likely be a 14.
    Ron, I'm fairly certain you were the person who gave a tip about immersing the plastic end in either hot or boiling water to return the nipple to a pre-stretched circumference. If I'm on point here, maybe you can reiterate in the exact manner you consider effective (or tell me I must be thinking of someone else...)?

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Pull the plug out and sac off, hang the plug on a straightened paper clip, immerse in boiling water for 30 seconds or so - keeping your fingers well clear of the steam from the water. Let it cool, and you're good to go.

Visit Main Street Pens

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 29th, 2020), Chrissy (April 29th, 2020), Jon Szanto (April 29th, 2020)

Thanks

You may or may not agree with SBRE Browns method of resaccing a Sheaffer converter, but here is his video to show you how he does it. Sadly he doesn't mention what size sac he used.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

aremesal (April 29th, 2020)