Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ink Review: Diamine Registrar's Archival Ink

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine Registrar's Archival Ink

Quote Originally Posted by SchaumburgSwan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I also found Diamine Registrar's flowed nicely. Not dry as I'd heard about IG inks. Nowhere near as dry as Diamine Twilight or Damson or Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. It's quite nice to use, really.
    Crissy, azkid,

I see. I can't proof my impression, no test capillars are at hand. I have at least one pen always inked with DRI, right now a very wet 1915 eye dropper... before that ESSRI it felt a bit wetter here.
    Agree 4001 BB is dry... much drier than Herbin Perle Noir.

Best wishes
    Jens
    It might be the old chestnut: Precisely what does each individual consider as flow versus lubrication?

Diamine Registrar's ink flowed very well through my Lamy pens as there was always plenty of ink available for writing at the tip, so it wasn't what I would ever describe as a dry flow. Flow surely has to suggest movement from A to B? Therefore I consider flow as the feeling of the amount of ink that makes it through the pen and reaches the nib tip. i.e. does it feel like there is enough ink there when you write?

I have some pens where there seems to be much less ink flowing through the pen and out of the tip. It often feels like hard work to get some ink flow at all through some pens. Almost like there is a constriction hampering the flow of ink from it's source to the nib tip. That's what I consider as the difference between flow that's wet or dry.

I didn't try it with any dip pens as I only use a glass dip pen when I write an ink name with a comparison ink. I didn't consider comparing it compare it with J.Herbin Perle Noir as that's neither IG ink nor is it blue-black. I tried to compare it with similar inks. They might not all be similar.

I had a quick look around at other reviews: Desk of Lori, DC Waites on FPN described DRI flow as medium to wet and wet yet it was described on Reddit as extremely dry. I guess it all depends on what pens and paper you use as well as what your meaning of flow versus lubrication is.

Anyway, my review is my opinion reached while I was writing with my ink sample using my pens on my paper. YMMV.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 2nd, 2020 at 01:41 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaumburgSwan View Post
    I also found Diamine Registrar's flowed nicely. Not dry as I'd heard about IG inks. Nowhere near as dry as Diamine Twilight or Damson or Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. It's quite nice to use, really.
    Crissy, azkid,

I see. I can't proof my impression, no test capillars are at hand. I have at least one pen always inked with DRI, right now a very wet 1915 eye dropper... before that ESSRI it felt a bit wetter here.
    Agree 4001 BB is dry... much drier than Herbin Perle Noir.

Best wishes
    Jens
    It might be the old chestnut: Precisely what does each individual consider as flow versus lubrication?

Diamine Registrar's ink flowed very well through my Lamy pens as there was always plenty of ink available for writing at the tip, so it wasn't what I would ever describe as a dry flow. Flow surely has to suggest movement from A to B? Therefore I consider flow as the feeling of the amount of ink that makes it through the pen and reaches the nib tip. i.e. does it feel like there is enough ink there when you write?

I have some pens where there seems to be much less ink flowing through the pen and out of the tip. It often feels like hard work to get some ink flow at all through some pens. Almost like there is a constriction hampering the flow of ink from it's source to the nib tip. That's what I consider as the difference between flow that's wet or dry.

I didn't try it with any dip pens as I only use a glass dip pen when I write an ink name with a comparison ink. I didn't consider comparing it compare it with J.Herbin Perle Noir as that's neither IG ink nor is it blue-black. I tried to compare it with similar inks. They might not all be similar.

I had a quick look around at other reviews: Desk of Lori, DC Waites on FPN described DRI flow as medium to wet and wet yet it was described on Reddit as extremely dry. I guess it all depends on what pens and paper you use as well as what your meaning of flow versus lubrication is.

Anyway, my review is my opinion reached while I was writing with my ink sample using my pens on my paper. YMMV.
    Given all the possible variables of so many different paper, pen, nib, pressure and even what you might use as a benchmark it must be very difficult to comment other than 'this was what I found on the day' .

It would be interesting to hear of inks that are horror stories, inks to avoid. I would hope that there are not too many, if any.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I found a small bottle of this ink that I didn't remember I had. It is a quite nice ink. It's neither the wettest nor the driest in my experience. It's in my Jinhao 51A. Works nicely on cheap paper, too. As Chrissy noted, the color change on drying is significant.

It's a keeper!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Hi Chrissy,

don't get me wrong, I like this ink very much, use it often - just wunderful stuff. :-)
    Your great review tells us why...

My point was wetness only, not lubrication. I'm with you here: That's basically the impression of the flow rate from nib to paper.
    Indeed it seems different conditions make different ratings for this ink...

I usually don't care much for lubrication... wet inks make better lubrication, agents like glycerine (IIRC) help to let the nib glide over the paper.

Best wishes
    Jens
    Last edited by SchaumburgSwan; May 2nd, 2020 at 02:45 PM.
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Thanks

I have read that you can make a dry ink wetter by adding a "toothpick drop" of dishwasher soap into the ink, presumably not the whole bottle. This true?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    I have read that you can make a dry ink wetter by adding a "toothpick drop" of dishwasher soap into the ink, presumably not the whole bottle. This true?
    I don't think I've heard that for dishwasher soap. I've heard it said about a Kodak product designed for reducing water droplet appearance when developing photographs.

I have a product from Organics Studio called Flo-Plus that is specially for ink use, but I only ever used it with Parker Penman Ruby ink. It made the ink excessively wet and foamy so I guess I either used too much or the ink wasn't that dry to start with.

Let's say you used warm water containing a drop of dishwasher soap for flushing your pen between fills. When rinsing it out after flushing, you could maybe do less flushing with clean water and that might possibly cause the effect that you want.

As another possibility I have a Platinum ink cleaning kit containing ink flush in sachets. I've found that to be quite lubricating to the extent that it makes pistons less stiff and much easier to move up and down. It's quite foaming and therefore needs quite a bit of rinsing out. Maybe that could also produce the effect that you want.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

By dishwasher soap do you mean something like Dawn?

So, basically, you'd be adding a surfactant to reduce surface tension of the ink. That's what photo-flo is/does.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 4th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aquafox View Post
    Yes, I've done it. and yes, use a sample vial for the mix and use only what sticks to the tip of a toothpick (start with as little as possible).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 4th, 2020)

Thanks

By dishwasher soap do you mean something like Dawn?

So, basically, you'd be adding a surfactant to reduce surface tension of the ink. That's what photo-flo is/does.
    Thanks. Photo-flo is the name of the Kodak product that I couldn't quite remember.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 4th, 2020)