Thread: Need Help to ID a waterman Pen

Thanks

Default Need Help to ID a waterman Pen

Hi, I'm a new member and I have a problem IDing a waterman's fountain pen. I would like to fix this up but don't know model # what type of fill system etc. Any and all info you can provide to get me on the right track would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. RayIMG_7600.JPGIMG_7591.JPGIMG_7586.JPGIMG_7602.JPGIMG_7605.JPGIMG_7593 (2).JPGIMG_7590.JPG

Thanks

Default Re: Need Help to ID a waterman Pen

Welcome, Ray.

I believe you have a Waterman France glass cartridge pen. Indeed it looks very much like the model Richard Binder shows first up here. Looks like a name is elusive, which is not unusual for French Watermans of the era.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Welcome, Ray.

I believe you have a Waterman France glass cartridge pen. Indeed it looks very much like the model Richard Binder shows first up here. Looks like a name is elusive, which is not unusual for French Watermans of the era.
    Wow, Thanks, This is just what I needed to fix this pen. My rubber seal is also broken so this is perfect. Still curious about a model#, date, etc. Thanks again. Ray

Thanks

As Grainweevil already pointed out this is indeed a glass cartridge Waterman pen, made in France.

The version that Richard Binder shows is a slightly earlier version (ca 1949) with the typical 'over-the-top' clip. That pen was called "New Look" (see also here) and was available as a lever or cartridge filler.
    The clip design was changed in the early 1950s to the version that you have. That pen was called "Waterman Standard" as can be seen in 1953-1960 advertisements and it was also available as lever or cartridge filler.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    As Grainweevil already pointed out this is indeed a glass cartridge Waterman pen, made in France.

The version that Richard Binder shows is a slightly earlier version (ca 1949) with the typical 'over-the-top' clip. That pen was called "New Look" (see also here) and was available as a lever or cartridge filler.
    The clip design was changed in the early 1950s to the version that you have. That pen was called "Waterman Standard" as can be seen in 1953-1960 advertisements and it was also available as lever or cartridge filler.

Thanks so much for the info. I just ordered the parts I need to fix this up. Thanks again. Ray

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jos View Post
    The version that Richard Binder shows is a slightly earlier version (ca 1949) with the typical 'over-the-top' clip.
    Ah, so it is. Small picture, impatient weevil. In that case Mr Binder's pen is a #4823. The popularly-termed "New Look" pens I can do, having fallen down that rabbit hole a while ago, but the later line's a rabbit hole thus far avoided.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.