Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Namiki EMPEROR Nº 50 Toryumon Limited Edition Fountain Pen 18K M Masahiro Yamada

Thanks

Post Namiki EMPEROR Nº 50 Toryumon Limited Edition Fountain Pen 18K M Masahiro Yamada

NAMIKI

LIMITED EDITION EMPEROR No. 50

Toryumon

Fountain pen

Namiki 18K #50 Size Medium (M) Nib

Maki-E Artist: Masahiro Yamada

This Namiki Limited Edition Emperor Toryumon Fountain Pen has been decorated with Maki-e by the skilled artisan Masahiro by using Togidashi (Burnished) , Taka (raised) Maki-e technique and mother of pearl.

The expression "Climbing the Dragon's Gate" known in Japanese as "Toryumon". Legend has it that a fish that swam up through these rapids which cuts through the Longmen Mountains reaches the Yellow River in China have been transformed into a dragon and ascended to heaven. The story remains widely known as a tale and about overcoming difficult hurdles that lead to success even when beset with adversity.

By Using Togidashi (Burnished) and Taka (Raised) Maki-e techniques, the painting on the barrel show each of the carp that have yet to climb the rapids quietly swimming in tranquil waters. Cherry blossom petals on the dazzling surface of the water are subtly expressed by the use of shaped Raden (Mother-of-Pearl), and the ripples caused by carp by gold powder

On the cap front show the two carps are transforming into a dragon appear halfway and making intense efforts to climb the rapids. On the back of the cap show the seven colours of a rainbow arching over the rapids are expressed in Raden. Thick clouds and part of the body of a dragon peering through a gap in them are shown above the rainbow, depicting a scene that conjures up the spectacle of a carp that has successfully climbed the rapids being dazzlingly transformed into a dragon and ascending to heaven.

People who have this fountain pen in their possession will have imbued a belief in overcome those hurdles and be able to make crucial breakthroughs.

A precision 18-karat gold nib with rhodium accent and a superior ink delivery system ensure the first-class writing quality and long-lasting performance.

In mint as new condition, never inked or used, the fountain pen comes in an exclusive gift box that is itself graced with a design depicting a waterfall plunging from the sky. Placed inside the gift box is a serial number plate on which the carp are portrayed. In addition, splashes of rapid flow of the Yellow River are depicted on a special ink bottle, providing the finishing touch to a wonderful presentation. Outer box papers and pipette complete the stunning presentation.

Only 99 pieces of this limited edition have been produced worldwide.

Price asked 20000 USD + shipping worldwilde. Offers are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deltac13; November 14th, 2020 at 07:33 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deltac13 For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (June 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Namiki EMPEROR Nº 50 Toryumon Limited Edition Fountain Pen 18K M Masahiro Yamada

What a breathtaking piece of art! I'm not in the market for a pen in that price range, but if I were, that pen would be high on my list! My lord, it's great looking!
    GLWS

Thanks

Default Re: Namiki EMPEROR Nº 50 Toryumon Limited Edition Fountain Pen 18K M Masahiro Yamada

I don't know if the joke is intended, as most FP enthusiasts would have to swim up through many rapids to afford a pen like this. But it is gorgeous. I'm reevaluating my life goals as I'm staring at it. Good luck with the sale!

Thanks

Thanks to all!
    Fountain pen is still available.

Thanks

This is a tremendously gorgeous pen, as such pens always are. Certainly, like most again, not in my price range, but if it was....wow. Just wow.

Thanks

I think the Maki-e and artistry are stunning but I just don't get very excited about fish. Obviously there are plenty of people who do, otherwise fish wouldn't be featured prominently on so many similarly expensive pens. My mid-western cultural upbringing just doesn't connect with certain East Asian art; I am certainly not the target demographic.

Thanks

The fish are where it's at.

Thanks

Bump for this wonderful pen!

Thanks

Bump!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    I think the Maki-e and artistry are stunning but I just don't get very excited about fish. Obviously there are plenty of people who do, otherwise fish wouldn't be featured prominently on so many similarly expensive pens. My mid-western cultural upbringing just doesn't connect with certain East Asian art; I am certainly not the target demographic.
    The fish, in this context, symbolizes a struggling being, who aspire to reach the heavens by swimming up the waterfall (also featured in the pen's artistry), and when it finally accomplished this, it turned into a dragon. Thus the waterfall is called the "Dragon's Gate".

It speaks towards the virtue of perseverance against all odds.
    Very inspiring (at least to me).

If there is a pen that I would consider my "Grail Pen", this one would qualify.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

2ntense (May 30th, 2020), Ahriman4891 (June 1st, 2020), damfino (September 1st, 2020), fountainpagan (June 20th, 2020), silgt (September 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    The fish, in this context, symbolizes a struggling being, who aspire to reach the heavens by swimming up the waterfall (also featured in the pen's artistry), and when it finally accomplished this, it turned into a dragon. Thus the waterfall is called the "Dragon's Gate".

Not to hijack the thread, but yes! Thank you very much for including this! I wanted to write something of this effect but didn't get the chance. It's very inspiring to me as well. Often (as far as I know) the fish are distinguished as carp, with a Great Carp reaching immense size and longevity.

This is definitely a grail pen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

This makes much more sense to me now; thank you for explaining. Sorry for distracting the post.

Thanks

bump for new price: 18000 USD
    Last edited by deltac13; June 11th, 2020 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

Bump for that wonderful Namiki Emperor Limited 99

Thanks

BUMP

Thanks

Need new home.
    Offering now at 17000 USD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deltac13 View Post
    Need new home.
    Offering now at 17000 USD
    Hey. May I ask what the reason for the sale is? Also would you be able to let me know which number of 99 this is? DM me if preferred!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

DM sent.

Thanks

Bump

Thanks

What a breath taking pen. Did you sell it?