Thread: Mold in my new pen?

Thanks

Default Mold in my new pen?

I recently bought a Parker 45 Flighter with a fine 14k gold nib. It was in its original case in almost mint status, and included an original converter probably unused. It looked quite clean, but I cleaned then nib, feeder and section to remove any rest of ink.

2.jpg
    1.jpg

Since I wanted to check if the squeeze converter was in working order after all this years (I was aware that the sac would be damaged because of the age) I filled it plunging it directly into the ink bottle.

After a few minutes, I checked the writing which seemed ok. But, when I was about to finish my testing, I discovered that inside of the cap was a thin white layer that looked pretty much as mold.

3.jpg

I cleaned the cap and put it into a dilution of vinegar at 50% for 20 minutes. After that, I cleaned it again with hydrogen peroxide.

Now, I have a few worries:

1) The cap seems clean now but I can see very little white dots inside. It well might be dust, or any rest of the cotton swabs that I used for the cleaning but, in the case that they are mold residues, is the vinegar enough to kill it forever?

2) I've quarantined my Diamine ASA Blue, even if I'm convinced that the converter is clean. How long should I wait to use that ink with my other pens? Should I better buy another bottle?

3) I've read that some inks, specifically Japanese brands, includes phenol in their composition to prevent mold. Is safe to put phenol in my Diamine, Waterman and Herbin inks? If so, which proportion would be used?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Mold in my new pen?

Hi. I am a lover of Parker 45 pens, too, and have gotten quite a few of them over the years (mostly from ebay).

Instead of your dilution of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide (which might actually leave the foamy stuff you see), you might try a dilution of one part ammonia and two parts distilled water.

As far as your question about inks, I doubt the problem was the ink unless you see some particles or notice an odd smell. But if you are suspicious, I recommend buying another bottle.

Others will have to weigh in on the question of phenol.

Best wishes to you.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

andres (May 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

IMHO: Transferring mold spores into other fountain pens isn't worth the price of a bottle of ink.

See the cleaner at: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...readed-S-I-T-B

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

andres (May 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

If you can get some Phenol then it won't do any harm to add some to your ink. I have some and always add two or three sprays to one particular ink brand. This is a good thread to read concerning Phenol

As you've filled this pen/converter from the bottle then just keep the bottle tightly closed without filling any other pens from it and see if anything happens after a while. If it does then that's the time to replace the bottle.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 4th, 2020 at 02:17 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

andres (May 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post

As far as your question about inks, I doubt the problem was the ink unless you see some particles or notice an odd smell. But if you are suspicious, I recommend buying another bottle.
    Many thanks for the tip. Definitely, is not the ink, I noticed the mold just after filling the pen. Besides, none of my other pen neither the ink seems infected. I'll clean it with ammonia diluted, just to make sure that it's clean.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If you can get some Phenol then it won't do any harm to add some to your ink. I have some and always add two or three sprays to one particular ink brand. This is a good thread to read concerning Phenol

As you've filled this pen/converter from the bottle then just keep the bottle tightly closed without filling any other pens from it and see if anything happens after a while. If it does then that's the time to replace the bottle.
    Many thanks for the tips and for the link. I've decided to keep this bottle just for this pen and buy another one for the other pens that I use for blue (I really love this ink!).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    IMHO: Transferring mold spores into other fountain pens isn't worth the price of a bottle of ink.

See the cleaner at: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...readed-S-I-T-B
    Many thans for the link and for the tip. I'll keep this bottle for this pen and I'll dispose it in case of doubt.

Thanks

Where does mold come from? People say unequivocally - from dampness. And it is true, the fungus begins to grow at a humidity of not less than 70%, and the optimal humidity for its development is 90%. The temperature regime is not so important; some kinds of mold can grow successfully at high temperatures. We are accustomed to a comfortable temperature in the bathroom that is optimal for mold. The overall humidity in the bathroom increases while showering or bathing when water gets on various surfaces and the formation of condensation. Therefore, all measures to combat mold should be aimed primarily at eliminating the causes of decay. there are many ways to get rid of mold, but I trust only the service that deals with mold remediation san diego
    Last edited by mariusjon; September 20th, 2021 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Spores

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

spammer reported
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (September 20th, 2021)

Thanks

If you need no just mold remediation but also plumbing solutions, check out https://thecaliplumber.com/