Thread: Noodler's Bluenose Bear

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Noodler's Bluenose Bear

Noodler’s Blue Nose Bear was named after the famed Nova Scotian schooner, Bluenose and in homage to the Winnipeg bear, who inspired Winnie the Pooh.

As a lefty underwriter, most important to me are water resistance and acceptable dry times and smooth writing. Shading is a plus.

Most reviews have stated this ink feathers on most papers, bleeds through etc. I find that this while true not always valid. For example, flexed Ahab on Rhodia is awful, however endearing on Clairefontaine.

It also ghosts and it could have minimal bleed through with a very wet nib.

With a wet Medium Jinhao it has lovely feathering. Yes, you read correctly the feathering is actually quite nice. To my surprise with a fude nib, it did not feather and shaded delightfully……

It is partially waterproof, and a greyish line would remain after extended water submersion. The ink is also fluorescent

ON Rhodia
    BLuenose bear Rhodia.jpg
    Back
    BNB - Back - Rhodia.jpg

On Tomoe River - Note no feathering
    Blue nose TR.jpg
    Tomoe River Back
    Blue nose TR BAck.jpg
    With a wet fude nib on Rhodia - No feathering
    BNB - RHidoia - fude.jpeg
    Example of feathering on Clairefontaine - Note this is a closeup
    BNB - CLairefontaine- fude.jpeg
    Ironically it didn't feather when I did a second test, with Rhodia
    BNB - Rhodia - Ahab - flex.jpeg

Comparison
    blue nose comparaison.jpg
    Fluorescence
    20200420_070430.jpg
    Conclusion: I really like this ink, despite its foibles. It is wet, but dries under 10 seconds on Rhodia. It doesn't have some of the flow problems of other Noodler's inks, and it is decently waterproof....as you can see after staying 18 hours under snow, sleet and rain....
    BLue nose bear.jpg

It seems that I don’t like “perfect” inks but inks that have imperfect perfection….

Last edited by Yazeh; August 20th, 2020 at 05:05 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 7th, 2020), azkid (May 7th, 2020), fountainpagan (May 5th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (May 5th, 2020), junglejim (August 19th, 2020), NumberSix (August 19th, 2020), Pterodactylus (August 19th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (May 5th, 2020), sospiro (May 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's Bluenose Bear

Nice review! I got a sample of this ink awhile back, and I really, really liked the color. It was so different than anything else I had used.

But it was also so wet and bleedy that I feared I would never use a proper bottle of it. Too bad, cuz it's niiiiiiiiice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Bluenose Bear

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
    Nice review! I got a sample of this ink awhile back, and I really, really liked the color. It was so different than anything else I had used.

But it was also so wet and bleedy that I feared I would never use a proper bottle of it. Too bad, cuz it's niiiiiiiiice.
    Most welcome....
    I've found that most "Bad" behaviour in inks, calms down after settling down in the pen for a couple of days.....
    Also, inks and pens need to be married properly. Their like people, there must be some sort of chemistry, so to speak

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (August 20th, 2020)