Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How do American retailers stay in business?!

Junior Member kisseefitzrandolph's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: How do American retailers stay in business?!

I'd like to share lessons I learned from American retailers. These are the kinds of lessons that are hard-earned and that apply to almost every aspect of the business. Price is one of the most important factors in determining how much you will sell. Don't think you can get around this by offering value or quality instead—they're both secondary to price. You can offer value or quality so that people don't care about your price (i.e., Apple Store). But if you have neither, you have to lower your price until it's low enough for someone to buy. Also, they work with services like belkins.io that offer appointment setting programs to increase the number of closed deals. It's a great trick they use.
    Last edited by kisseefitzrandolph; October 2nd, 2022 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks

Regarding the question asked in the thread: I tend to buy from American retailers, especially pens costing more than $800, because I just don't want to have to deal with customs. It's not that I'm trying to avoid tariffs or taxes, but trying to avoid having to do all the paperwork myself. I'd rather pay more and have a retailer do it all for me. I don't mind doing my own income taxes, because I think it's fun, but that's also pretty much my limit for doing fussy paperworky things. That said, I do buy some pens from non-US retailers (including ebay sellers) when I find something I really want or can't obtain otherwise. That goes for both new and vintage pens.

Maybe it's people like me who keep American retailers in business?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    G
    To say that those who will have lots of money will spend lots of money and don't care about the price is ludicrous. People who have money didn't get money by spending more than necessary. Unless you're redneck nouveau riche you use the power of money to get better prices or you go elsewhere.
    Well, sort of. When something catches my eye, I'll quickly check my preferred US retailers (up to 3 of them), decide if I'm willing to wait or want that item just as soon as it's available, and sometimes I do end up buying from Goulet or a similar vendor. I accept that I may be paying too much for a pen that just makes my head spin and my heart race. Some pens have that effect on me. And fortunately, I can pretty much afford to do this, as long as the price of the pen doesn't exceed $1000. If the price exceeds that amount, I'll think long and hard about it, and sleep on it at least once before making a decision.

Thanks

One reason US sellers make a little money is that a lot of people buy ink, other supplies and more common pens i.e Safaris, Metropolitan, and prefer to pay a couple of extra bucks for the convenience.
    They may also buy the occasional Pelikan or aurora and want the security of having a track record should they have problems.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks

I think it may be that the logistics of delivery are quite complicated. Think about it, if the supplier is in Europe, then shipping across the ocean will be quite difficult. That's why they put quite a big markup. However, if they made a little less markup, sales would increase. And at the expense of that, it would still be a good income for the company. I became interested in economics when I learned the net worth of blippi. You, too, should find someone who motivates you to find important and useful information. It might be helpful for you if you want to start making good money.
    Last edited by touriafuji; November 9th, 2022 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by touriafuji View Post
    I think it may be that the logistics of delivery are quite complicated. Think about it, if the supplier is in Europe, then shipping across the ocean will be quite difficult.
    I think it has been done before

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzer View Post
    I think it may be that the logistics of delivery are quite complicated. Think about it, if the supplier is in Europe, then shipping across the ocean will be quite difficult.
    I bet that their next post is how they provide excellent overseas logistics services, along with a link or something of the sort.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....

Thanks
    Thanked 8,711 Times in 3,411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzzer View Post
    I bet that their next post is how they provide excellent overseas logistics services, along with a link or something of the sort.
    I agree and think it's just another spammer exactly like the OP in this thread who has edited to add a link. Both reported.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens