Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How do American retailers stay in business?!

Junior Member kisseefitzrandolph's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: How do American retailers stay in business?!

I'd like to share lessons I learned from American retailers. These are the kinds of lessons that are hard-earned and that apply to almost every aspect of the business. Price is one of the most important factors in determining how much you will sell. Don't think you can get around this by offering value or quality instead—they're both secondary to price. You can offer value or quality so that people don't care about your price (i.e., Apple Store). But if you have neither, you have to lower your price until it's low enough for someone to buy. Also, they work with services like belkins.io that offer appointment setting programs to increase the number of closed deals. It's a great trick they use.
    Last edited by kisseefitzrandolph; October 2nd, 2022 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks

Regarding the question asked in the thread: I tend to buy from American retailers, especially pens costing more than $800, because I just don't want to have to deal with customs. It's not that I'm trying to avoid tariffs or taxes, but trying to avoid having to do all the paperwork myself. I'd rather pay more and have a retailer do it all for me. I don't mind doing my own income taxes, because I think it's fun, but that's also pretty much my limit for doing fussy paperworky things. That said, I do buy some pens from non-US retailers (including ebay sellers) when I find something I really want or can't obtain otherwise. That goes for both new and vintage pens.

Maybe it's people like me who keep American retailers in business?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post
    G
    To say that those who will have lots of money will spend lots of money and don't care about the price is ludicrous. People who have money didn't get money by spending more than necessary. Unless you're redneck nouveau riche you use the power of money to get better prices or you go elsewhere.
    Well, sort of. When something catches my eye, I'll quickly check my preferred US retailers (up to 3 of them), decide if I'm willing to wait or want that item just as soon as it's available, and sometimes I do end up buying from Goulet or a similar vendor. I accept that I may be paying too much for a pen that just makes my head spin and my heart race. Some pens have that effect on me. And fortunately, I can pretty much afford to do this, as long as the price of the pen doesn't exceed $1000. If the price exceeds that amount, I'll think long and hard about it, and sleep on it at least once before making a decision.

Thanks

One reason US sellers make a little money is that a lot of people buy ink, other supplies and more common pens i.e Safaris, Metropolitan, and prefer to pay a couple of extra bucks for the convenience.
    They may also buy the occasional Pelikan or aurora and want the security of having a track record should they have problems.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks

I think it may be that the logistics of delivery are quite complicated. Think about it, if the supplier is in Europe, then shipping across the ocean will be quite difficult. That's why they put quite a big markup. However, if they made a little less markup, sales would increase. And at the expense of that, it would still be a good income for the company. I became interested in economics when I learned the net worth of blippi. You, too, should find someone who motivates you to find important and useful information. It might be helpful for you if you want to start making good money.
    Last edited by touriafuji; November 9th, 2022 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by touriafuji View Post
    I think it may be that the logistics of delivery are quite complicated. Think about it, if the supplier is in Europe, then shipping across the ocean will be quite difficult.
    I think it has been done before

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bzzer View Post
    I think it may be that the logistics of delivery are quite complicated. Think about it, if the supplier is in Europe, then shipping across the ocean will be quite difficult.
    I bet that their next post is how they provide excellent overseas logistics services, along with a link or something of the sort.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzzer View Post
    I bet that their next post is how they provide excellent overseas logistics services, along with a link or something of the sort.
    I agree and think it's just another spammer exactly like the OP in this thread who has edited to add a link. Both reported.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

The pricing difference you are seeing between European and North American retailers for fountain pens and inks is likely due to a number of factors, including import costs, taxes, and exchange rates. European retailers may have lower costs for importing the products and may have different tax laws, which can result in lower prices for consumers. Additionally, the exchange rate for the Euro may be more favorable for European retailers, allowing them to offer lower prices.

Another factor that may contribute to the pricing difference is the competition and market size. European market for fountain pens and inks could be more established and therefore more competitive, resulting in lower prices for consumers. Additionally, European retailers may have larger sales volume, which allows them to offer lower prices.

Lastly, it could be that the North American retailers are charging more for the convenience of buying from them, and for the level of service they provide. They may have a different pricing strategy which includes offering more services such as free shipping, better customer service, warranty, etc.

It's important to note that these are just assumptions and it's always good to check with the retailers and do your research before buying to understand the pricing strategy better.

I almost forgot to mention that North American retailers improve their client's databases through export LinkedIn contacts to excel, buying data, and other strategies.
    Last edited by Jason West; January 16th, 2023 at 08:49 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason West For This Useful Post:

welch (March 12th, 2023)

Thanks

Staying a successful businessman for a long time is difficult enough. Success depends not only on financial stability, but also on the ability to manage people and various business processes. American businessmen do business successfully because of their resourcefulness, dedication to their ideas, and their ability to find solutions to difficult situations. Many businessmen in America devote decades to developing their businesses. They want to make sure that when they are not able to run their business to the fullest, their successors will continue. So they plan that process ahead. At https://www.successionresource.com/succession-planning, you can find out more about and order such services.
    Last edited by FrancisAvila; March 7th, 2023 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks

Reported.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

I wonder what we can do to make the bot say, "What about democracy?"

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

forgetabotit!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
    The pricing difference you are seeing between European and North American retailers for fountain pens and inks is likely due to a number of factors, including import costs, taxes, and exchange rates. European retailers may have lower costs for importing the products and may have different tax laws, which can result in lower prices for consumers. Additionally, the exchange rate for the Euro may be more favorable for European retailers, allowing them to offer lower prices.

Another factor that may contribute to the pricing difference is the competition and market size. European market for fountain pens and inks could be more established and therefore more competitive, resulting in lower prices for consumers. Additionally, European retailers may have larger sales volume, which allows them to offer lower prices.

Lastly, it could be that the North American retailers are charging more for the convenience of buying from them, and for the level of service they provide. They may have a different pricing strategy which includes offering more services such as free shipping, better customer service, warranty, etc.

It's important to note that these are just assumptions and it's always good to check with the retailers and do your research before buying to understand the pricing strategy better.

I almost forgot to mention that North American retailers improve their client's databases through export LinkedIn contacts to excel, buying data, and other strategies.
    A significant factor: Americans quit writing with fountain pens as ballpoints took over and as portable electric typewriters became cheap enough in the mid-60s that families began to buy them for their students. By the mid-60s, students no longer hand-wrote the final versions of papers.

Add that personal computers became cheap enough in the mid-80s that people began to buy them for their homes. As best I remember, a PC clone 8088/2 machine sold for about $1750 at a time when IBM was trying to establish the PS/2 and Microchannel -- for about $5,000 or $7500. By 1990, Pentium based clones had blown away IBM, and prices dropped to about $2,000 or less. Prices have stayed less than $1,000 ever since.

While Parker and Sheaffer fought -- heroically -- to maintain fountain pens, they slowly lost. Both shut down their US manufacturing centers, and we saw Sheaffer collapse over the last few years. The North American market is nothing like it was in, say, 1955. For example, Sheaffer advertised its Pen for Men on the Jimmy Durante Show in the late '50s. Has there been anything like that since?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 12th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason West View Post

A significant factor: Americans quit writing with fountain pens as ballpoints took over and as portable electric typewriters became cheap enough in the mid-60s that families began to buy them for their students. By the mid-60s, students no longer hand-wrote the final versions of papers.

Add that personal computers became cheap enough in the mid-80s that people began to buy them for their homes. As best I remember, a PC clone 8088/2 machine sold for about $1750 at a time when IBM was trying to establish the PS/2 and Microchannel -- for about $5,000 or $7500. By 1990, Pentium based clones had blown away IBM, and prices dropped to about $2,000 or less. Prices have stayed less than $1,000 ever since.

While Parker and Sheaffer fought -- heroically -- to maintain fountain pens, they slowly lost. Both shut down their US manufacturing centers, and we saw Sheaffer collapse over the last few years. The North American market is nothing like it was in, say, 1955. For example, Sheaffer advertised its Pen for Men on the Jimmy Durante Show in the late '50s. Has there been anything like that since?
    Cross Pens used to run a full page ad in National Geographic - which led me to buy my first fountain pen back in the mid-1980's.

Montblanc did this, but I'm not sure on what or where they ran it.

Here's the Sheaffer pen ad.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; March 12th, 2023 at 03:19 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

How do they stay in business? Well, here's one example: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...rneys-shop-dc/

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Gulfcoast (March 15th, 2023), welch (March 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    How do they stay in business? Well, here's one example: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...rneys-shop-dc/
    Thank! I missed that article, and the Post is my hometown newspaper. I practiced reading on the Post sports section, where Shirley Povich was a lot more interesting than "Alice and Jerry". And Fahrney's is a great place. When I was working, and a technical consultant, my account manager friend would take us to Washington every few months. I would always take a break over at Fahrneys.

Sad to learn that Chuck Edwards, Fahrney's "Pen Doctor" died of Covid. It was a thrill to see his work-bench in Fahrney's.
    Last edited by welch; March 15th, 2023 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks

Importing goods from Europe to North America involves shipping, customs duties, and other logistical expenses, all of which add to the overall cost of the product by the time it reaches the shelves of North American retailers. European retailers, on the other hand, may have lower distribution costs for goods sourced within Europe. The fountain pen market may be more competitive in Europe compared to North America, leading to lower prices due to factors like the number of retailers, consumer demand, and competition among brands. Tax rates and regulations vary between different countries and regions, affecting the final retail price of goods. European taxes and regulations may be more favorable or less burdensome for retailers, allowing them to offer lower prices to consumers. To streamline operations and mitigate expenses, businesses can leverage data enrichment solution to optimize supply chain management and identify cost-saving opportunities throughout the import process.
    Last edited by harlowhenry; February 8th, 2024 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks

A major factor for US buyers importing from Europe is that the export is net of VAT. That saves you around 15% to 22% (depending on country) of the price.

Alas, if I being based in France buy a Pelikan from Germany, I pay 20% tax. If I go to Germany to buy it, I pay 22%!

Thanks

Prolly the same way retailers in Germany, New Zealand, Sweden, Malaysia, UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, Spain .............
    Add Lightness and Simplicate