Thread: Intriguing Ancestry Hints!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 699 Posts

Default Intriguing Ancestry Hints!

Although I have a certain amount of curiosity about my ancestors, it's not enough for me to get into any serious research. I did find it interesting enough to get the Ancestry DNA test (and later confirmed it with 23andme), and decided to try a free Ancestry trial membership just to see what documents they had. I found a few, such as one grandfather's discharge papers from the Army in 1919, but nothing of great interest. I made sure to cancel before they started charging me.

The DNA part did more or less confirm what I'd always believed about my ancestry in general, 50% or a little more Ashkenazi Jewish, the rest Great Britain, western and northern Europe.

But Ancestry.com still sends me Emails with "intriguing" hints about people who might be related to me. Which is nice, and I actually did connect with a third cousin on my father's side, and a second cousin on my mother's. The second cousin has written me a couple of times to see if I'm okay during the current pandemic.

It's kind of funny, though, that about ten times now, they have sent me a hint about the same two people who might be relatives. I should say so! They are my mother and father.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Intriguing Ancestry Hints!

anything to get you to come back (and pay!) :P

Glad you've had fun with this stuff. Very Intriguing!

Thanks

Default Re: Intriguing Ancestry Hints!

Our sons got the Ancestry kits for my wife and me for our anniversary last month. Mine got mailed out this past Monday, but I was unable to activate my wife's because she has no active email account. Gotta look into that.

On my father's side, his father was the only one to move to the States and have progeny, so I already know all my cousins there. However, my mother's paternal ancestor came to the colonies in the 17th century, so I have cousins scattered all over in that line. There is also a legend of a Creek or Cherokee great-great-great-grandmother, counting from my generation. I'm hoping that the DNA results will either confirm or deny, but if they confirm, I'll have more indigenous American DNA than a certain politician who shall remain nameless.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj