Thread: S.t Dupont Pen

Thanks

Default S.t Dupont Pen

Hello everyone, i'm new here on this forum, and this is my first post.
    I have recently been offered this incredibly beautiful pen (in my opinion) But i am unsure of it's authenticity, it looks authentic in my eyes, but i thought i would have some extra eyes to help me out. i would also love your opinions on this pen, and if it's worth it. It's a S.t Dupont Laque De Chine, all certificates, 4 extra refills and box includet. The seller is asking $100.
    Here is some pictures:
    1. http://prntscr.com/siiazd
    2. http://prntscr.com/siib82
    3. http://prntscr.com/siibho
    4. http://prntscr.com/siibq4 serial number can be seen
    5. http://prntscr.com/siic3e
    i'm sorry i had to use lightshot, my attachments wouldn't work.

I hope you want to leave your opinion on the pen and help me out, will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: S.t Dupont Pen

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Laque de Chine simply means it uses natural urushi and urushi techniques for the lacquer. The actual model was the Classique line.

I don't see anything that screams fake but that model was regularly faked. Do an online search on the serial number; it should not show up. If it does show up then walk away.

Also the serial number would have been individually hand stamped so there should be slight variations between each character.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (May 17th, 2020)

Thanks

As Jar has suggested there are a huge number of fakes around of this brand, I have even held a known fake ST Dupont and it passed all the tests of what to look out for, its very difficult.

I am not sure what you mean by 'all certificates' but the only one that I would want to see from the seller is the purchase receipt with the serial number that matches your pen.

On the other hand, if you really like the pen and it feels like a quality pen then $100 with refills included is not a huge amount.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Laque de Chine simply means it uses natural urushi and urushi techniques for the lacquer. The actual model was the Classique line.

I don't see anything that screams fake but that model was regularly faked. Do an online search on the serial number; it should not show up. If it does show up then walk away.

Also the serial number would have been individually hand stamped so there should be slight variations between each character.
    Thank you a lot!

do you see any variations? i feel like i see a little, but i am unsure because of the distanced picture. do you want me to search for it like this? http://prntscr.com/sijxp7 just the blank serial number? i want to state that that isn't the serial number, but this is from another pen. i myself can't see the serial number on the pen, and i asked the owner to sent it to me.
    if this is real, is $80 then a good deal? i forgot he lowered the price.
    Would you use a pen like this?
    i appreciate your help, thanks so much!

Thanks

alright update here, here is the serial http://prntscr.com/sikd1c i blank searched for it and tried with dupont and serial inftont, nothing shows up. That should hopefully be a good sign. He doesn't have the reciept. Would you guys personally go for this, and find something else? or try it out?
    I feel like its a very nice pen for a "little" amount of cash, but i don't want to buy a fake pen of course.
    As said, i do feel like i see a little variation in the serial numbers, the 2 last as an example seems out of place, which is hopefully good.
    Please let me know your thoughts.

Now that we have a conversation going, i would like to ask if CataWiki is a place you can safely buy from?

Thanks!

Edit: Jar i am amazed by your website, absolutely beautiful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanAlligator View Post

Thank you a lot!

do you see any variations? i feel like i see a little, but i am unsure because of the distanced picture. do you want me to search for it like this? http://prntscr.com/sijxp7 just the blank serial number? i want to state that that isn't the serial number, but this is from another pen. i myself can't see the serial number on the pen, and i asked the owner to sent it to me.
    I wouldn't use it since it is not a fountain pen.

Yes, one of the possible ways to tell fakes is that they often use the same serial number since they mass produce the fakes. If the serial number shows up using a simple search then it's almost certainly one of the fakes.

Visually it is almost impossible to tell the fakes an I even bought a fake ST Dupont lighter once. Since I already had a real one in my collection it was easy to tell the difference when the two were side by side but not before.

One is real, one a fake:

Thanks

Thank you a lot!

I wouldn't use it since it is not a fountain pen.

Yes, one of the possible ways to tell fakes is that they often use the same serial number since they mass produce the fakes. If the serial number shows up using a simple search then it's almost certainly one of the fakes.

Visually it is almost impossible to tell the fakes an I even bought a fake ST Dupont lighter once. Since I already had a real one in my collection it was easy to tell the difference when the two were side by side but not before.

One is real, one a fake:
    fair enough, i would like a fountain pen, but since i found this at a good buck (i think) maybe i'm going with this. I will be looking at Ebay tho for a fountain.

i see side by side it's not hard, but i can imagine seeing it in pictures its difficult.

I think you missed my message above yours, i gave a little update there and asked some questions. Hope you'll check it out

still a big Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.

Thanks

I never heard of CataWiki.

Thanks

It is a balancing act. If you feel strongly about the issue of having a fake then do not take the risk of buying the pen, we cannot guarantee that the pen is genuine, as I mentionned, I have held a fake pen in my hand and had a list of 12 items that show how these pens are faked and it passed all the tests although the pen was bought for $10 in Shanghai.

St Dupont, Montblanc and Rolex are faked in their thousands, some are excellent, especially the Rolex watches which outsell the real deal.

If you don't want the chance of owning a fake then walk away.

Thanks

Fair enough, and i did Think about it, i’m still unsure.
    But i thought about that i wanted a fountain pen, but that isn’t a fountain pen. How popular Are fountain pens compared to ballpoint etc?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

But i thought about that i wanted a fountain pen, but that isn’t a fountain pen. How popular Are fountain pens compared to ballpoint etc?

Thanks in advance
    Far more people buy hamburger than buy steak.

Thanks

Thanks in advance
    Oh alright, so you're saying that rollerball and ballpoint pens are bought the most, but fountain pens are more expensive and bought less.

Thanks

Thanks in advance
    Oh alright, so you're saying that rollerball and ballpoint pens are bought the most, but fountain pens are more expensive and bought less.
    Partly. It is also reality that different folk like different things.

Get what YOU want, not what I want. It's not just cost; I've been know to choose a hamburger steak with fries smothered in onion gravy over a Porterhouse.

Thanks

Thanks in advance

Get what YOU want, not what I want. It's not just cost; I've been know to choose a hamburger steak with fries smothered in onion gravy over a Porterhouse.
    I definitely agree with you, and i am walking away from the pen probably. I want a fountain pen, and that's my final decision. I appreciate all the help, now i will help you finish your collection - https://www.catawiki.dk/l/37194317-s...glepen-samling a pen matching your lighter, sadly not a fountain but goodluck

Thanks

Thanks in advance

I definitely agree with you, and i am walking away from the pen probably. I want a fountain pen, and that's my final decision. I appreciate all the help, now i will help you finish your collection - https://www.catawiki.dk/l/37194317-s...glepen-samling a pen matching your lighter, sadly not a fountain but goodluck

Some ST Dupont fountain pens.

Thanks

Thanks in advance

Some ST Dupont fountain pens.
    You are and will be infront of me. That's a beautiful collection, and i know that you have more. I especially like white one, the 2 reds and the full golden one.

Thanks

Hello - new to this site, please bear with me. My pens aren’t fountain pens but are 1980s ballpoint. 2 are gold plated silver but the third has a different hallmark that looks like an eagle over a snake. Serial number B16625.

I wonder if you can help me identify it please?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0NuF...gdon_-_Drayton

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xNY...gdon_-_Drayton

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04u_...gdon_-_Drayton

Many thanks in advance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstyab View Post

Hello - new to this site, please bear with me. My pens aren’t fountain pens but are 1980s ballpoint. 2 are gold plated silver but the third has a different hallmark that looks like an eagle over a snake. Serial number B16625.

I wonder if you can help me identify it please?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0NuF...gdon_-_Drayton

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xNY...gdon_-_Drayton

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04u_...gdon_-_Drayton

Many thanks in advance
    Unfortunately the pictures are not clear and crisp enough to say anything about them.