Thread: Parker Jack Knife 20 1/2 - Rotted Press Bar - Replacement Part Available?

Thanks

Default Parker Jack Knife 20 1/2 - Rotted Press Bar - Replacement Part Available?

I'm repairing a Parker Jack Knife Safety. This Jack Knife differs from the Duofolds I've fixed in the past in that it has (or had) a single-piece button plus pressure bar. The spring part of the bar rotted completely.

What is the suggested method to repair? I've replaced pressure bars on Duofolds before, but those were a separate bar that rode in between fingers on the (separate) button. This pen has a plain button that was integral with the pressure bar/spring. Is there a replacement part available today? Or do I try to rig something together using a different pressure bar, etc.?

Thanks

Default Re: Parker Jack Knife 20 1/2 - Rotted Press Bar - Replacement Part Available?

Hey Ray-VIgo,

Strange. I have done several hard rubber Parker button fillers (Jacks, Pre-Jacks and early Duofolds), and the button is always separate from the bar assembly. I have seen some where the two are so corroded together that they can seem as one. Seems odd that the pressure bar is integral with the button, though, as it would be the spring which needs to sit in the button, with the pressure bar fastened to the spring. I think that you just need to dig the junk out of the button, and source a new bar assembly.

Take care, Bob

Thanks

Default Re: Parker Jack Knife 20 1/2 - Rotted Press Bar - Replacement Part Available?

It's soldered together. I heard back from Dale at Pentooling who explained some of the early pens have a single-piece, soldered pressure bar and button unit. The way to approach is to convert the pen to a more conventional configuration where the button is a separate piece from the straight pressure bar (as you see in the Duofolds). I ordered the parts and will attempt the conversion once they arrive.

Thanks

Hi Ray-VIgo,

Well, you learn something new every day. So, you are able to source and use standard parts. That's a good thing.

I just looked at some of mine, to jog my memory (I restored these a while ago). I have some pretty early button fill cone caps, along with several versions of the Jack Knife, all of which had separate buttons. Kind of not convinced that Parker did the soldering, as there was no reason to do so. This is evidenced by a gazillion examples without solder. Perhaps all of the pens I have worked on have had their guts replaced, but it seems more like a repair person's attempt to facilitate re-assembly, or remedy a loose button. I'll let it go, as this is a big day! We are going to venture out of the house. Going to the grocery store. Really going to do it in style...you know... masks... gloves... wipes... the works!

I'm really excited. Its a big day! We are going to the grocery store, and if that goes well, we may visit the gas station!

Take care, Bob

Thanks

The conversion to the conventional set up that Dale at Pentooling suggested worked. I needed to trim the press bar a little, but the pen is back to writing with a new sac, pressbar, and button.

Thanks

Very good. So, at least the pen is conventional, such that standard parts work. Nice old pens.

Bob