Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: My phone is watching me draw.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Kaputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    By the long tidal river.
    Posts
    659
    Thanks
    1,000
    Thanked 719 Times in 343 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default My phone is watching me draw.

    The other day I was doing a portrait of a woman in charcoal. No, I won't show it here. Although the drawing looked quite plausibly human, it did not look like the particular human I was trying to portray.

    But that's not the point. It occurred to me to add one splash of color to the gray, so I got out my Prismacolor pencils and selected a red to draw her lips. Immediately my phone dinged. I checked it, thinking it might be a text, but it was actually a message from eBay. "Buy yourself a little something. Prismacolor pencils." How's that for timing?

    Incidentally, I actually got my Prismacolors from Jet Pens, but had shopped around a little first. So eBay did have these on my watch list. But still...
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

  2. #2
    Senior Member suzy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    237
    Thanks
    447
    Thanked 337 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    Spooky

    Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    6,176
    Thanks
    3,073
    Thanked 5,271 Times in 2,097 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    ebay is almost like the eye of Sauron......
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  4. #4
    Senior Member carlos.q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On a hill in Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks
    1,244
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 494 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    No matter how much you run.....

    BigBrother.jpg

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 394 Times in 196 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    There is some form of link that I cannot break, I search for something on Google, then I might look at Youtube on the TV and in reccomended vids comes something related to what I have Googled.

    I don't have Alexa, a friend who does is convinced Alexa is listening all the time, he was spooked when he was watching TV and heard Alexa laugh.

    Alexa tells terrible jokes, when asked she said

    'How may Princesses does it take to unscrew a light bulb'

    I don't know ( Alexa waits for you to answer)

    'Do not be silly, Princesses do not change light bulbs'

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

    suzy01 (May 21st, 2020)

  7. #6
    Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 56 Times in 28 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    There is some form of link that I cannot break, I search for something on Google, then I might look at Youtube on the TV and in reccomended vids comes something related to what I have Googled.

    I don't have Alexa, a friend who does is convinced Alexa is listening all the time, he was spooked when he was watching TV and heard Alexa laugh.

    Alexa tells terrible jokes, when asked she said

    'How may Princesses does it take to unscrew a light bulb'

    I don't know ( Alexa waits for you to answer)

    'Do not be silly, Princesses do not change light bulbs'
    You're right, they are linked. Google OWNS YouTube. The link is real, google is an advertizing company.
    Ways to help mitigate this:
    - Youtube on my TV is signed in with it's own dummy account
    - sign out of gmail/youtube/google search when you are not actively on that website. Being signed in allows them to use cookies to track you across the web. To go further, you could use incognito mode in your browser for everything.
    - The biggest thing you can do: Change your privacy settings https://myaccount.google.com/intro/privacycheckup?hl=en

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 394 Times in 196 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    There is some form of link that I cannot break, I search for something on Google, then I might look at Youtube on the TV and in reccomended vids comes something related to what I have Googled.

    I don't have Alexa, a friend who does is convinced Alexa is listening all the time, he was spooked when he was watching TV and heard Alexa laugh.

    Alexa tells terrible jokes, when asked she said

    'How may Princesses does it take to unscrew a light bulb'

    I don't know ( Alexa waits for you to answer)

    'Do not be silly, Princesses do not change light bulbs'
    You're right, they are linked. Google OWNS YouTube. The link is real, google is an advertizing company.
    Ways to help mitigate this:
    - Youtube on my TV is signed in with it's own dummy account
    - sign out of gmail/youtube/google search when you are not actively on that website. Being signed in allows them to use cookies to track you across the web. To go further, you could use incognito mode in your browser for everything.
    - The biggest thing you can do: Change your privacy settings https://myaccount.google.com/intro/privacycheckup?hl=en
    Thank you that is very helpful, I have made good use of your link, appreciated.

  9. #8
    Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    113
    Thanked 56 Times in 28 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

    Thank you that is very helpful, I have made good use of your link, appreciated.
    glad i could help. I'm a big fan of some basic privacy online!

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 89 Times in 45 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    Thats happened to me more than once. I've was really creepy. It makes me wonder if those conspiracy theories about the government spying on us aren't theories at all.

    Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Senior Member Deb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Highlands of Scotland
    Posts
    1,550
    Thanks
    926
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 716 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: My phone is watching me draw.

    It's mostly business that spies on us to try to sell us more stuff. They make no secret of it. I already have a houseful of stuff and don't have room for any more so I tell my Alexa lies.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •