Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to my first pen show.... by Zoom!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

Default I'm going to my first pen show.... by Zoom!

If everything goes right tomorrow I will go to my first pen show... by Zoom videoconference. I know that this will not be like "the real thing" but considering the Covid-19 pandemic and the fact that there is no pen show closer than 1,000 miles away I am very exited at this opportunity. Not only that, but this pen show will be transmitted all the way from Rome!

I want to publicly thank David (Empty_of_Clouds) who first brought this show to my attention, to Art who makes the arrangements over at Pentrace and Len Provisor who helped me with the registering process at newpentrace.net

If anyone wants to participate go over and register at newpentrace.net

For all those pen clubs that have had to cancel their meetings, I suggest you consider hosting virtual meetings instead. It may be a long time before things go back the way they were. In the meanwhile we will all have to make adjustments at living with the "new normal".
    Last edited by carlos.q; May 23rd, 2020 at 02:53 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

amk (May 25th, 2020), azkid (May 23rd, 2020), catbert (May 24th, 2020), da vinci (May 25th, 2020), Marsilius (May 25th, 2020), Robert (May 23rd, 2020), welch (May 24th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Default Re: I'm going to my first pen show.... by Zoom!

Cool idea. Not quite the same as the real thing but definitely far better than nothing! Thanks for the heads up to you and EoC.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 23rd, 2020), welch (May 24th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 1,971 Posts

This is in fact the 2nd time they have done this.

I am looking forward to see it tomorrow (my first).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Ok only 12 hours to go (for me).... I never thought my first pen show would be an international event.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I can see the attraction of seeing all of the vendors online, but for me personally, my most important reason for going to a pen show would be to actually handle pens that I might never have had the opportunity to handle. Looking at them in my hand, touching them, holding them and examining them. Sadly Zoom doesn't help with that. However, I'm sure it will be well attended and get some good reviews.

I hope that one day I will go to a pen show somewhere.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I hope that one day I will go to a pen show somewhere.
    I hear you. I also hope that one day I will be able to go to a face-to-face pen show. I also hope I will be able to go to the movies or a restaurant without fear of getting infected with a deadly virus. These are difficult and trying times for all of us so... always keep safe and smile a lot!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 24th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Ok only 12 hours to go (for me).... I never thought my first pen show would be an international event.
    Excited for you — and looking forward to hearing all about it later.

I'm still clinging to the hope that my first pen show will be live and in person, mainly for the chance (as Chrissy said) to handle pens I might not otherwise encounter. Maybe next year ...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 24th, 2020), Chrissy (May 24th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quick feedback. The show was good, as was the previous one, and presented with some improvements. The organisers are learning as they go, and hopefully will be able to include more varied content in future shows.

Nice to see Will attending - next time, turn on your camera! I like being able to put a face to a name.

There were a number of pens that really interested me. Unfortunately, as is often the case for me (especially in these uncertain economic times) the coordination of money and availability was not favourable. Seriously giving consideration to creating a separate FP Piggybank!

carlos.q, wasn't sure if you made it to the show, not everyone uses (or knows how to put) their names on the Zoom client.

Regarding online vs real life pen shows, at this time there are no RL shows. The online versions may be the only option for quite some time. Yes, one doesn't get to handle pens. On the other hand there is no fee! There is always a positive side.

If any of those who attended have ideas for making the experience better or more immersive, please do so over at newpentrace.net

ps. It finished at 4am for me. I think it was worth pulling an all-nighter for. Just saying.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 24th, 2020 at 10:39 AM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 24th, 2020), catbert (May 24th, 2020), da vinci (May 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Ok... this is a very public ooops! According to my, evidently incorrect calculations, I thought the show was tonight!
    This international time zone calculation thing seems to be way above my pay grade!!!!
    Well... better luck next time!

Thanks

Part of the discussion at the show was about frequency, with some suggestion that it would be every couple of weeks. Probably best to keep an eye out on Pentrace for details.

Yes, I got the time zone thing wrong for the first show, I was an hour too early as I had forgotten to take into account seasonal clock changes! Now I just use an online time zone map to figure it out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Ok... this is a very public ooops! According to my, evidently incorrect calculations, I thought the show was tonight!
    This international time zone calculation thing seems to be way above my pay grade!!!!
    Well... better luck next time!
    Oh no! Hope you get things sorted for next time.

I used to be several hours ahead of family but after a move I'm now several hours behind. Throw in seasonal clock changes and it's a recipe for confusion.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    There were a number of pens that really interested me. Unfortunately, as is often the case for me (especially in these uncertain economic times) the coordination of money and availability was not favourable. Seriously giving consideration to creating a separate FP Piggybank!
    How does the pen sale aspect of the show work?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 1,971 Posts

Nice to see Will attending - next time, turn on your camera! I like being able to put a face to a name.

Hi David, it's nice to see you as well. I have video on zoom calls during the weekdays with my client. I'd like to be anonymous for once on the weekend. LOL!

But you're right, it's nice to put face to the name.

I think the show format makes a lot of sense. The dealers are courteous, respectful of each other's time, and very cooperative. And of course, nice pens...

There is of course very limited interaction and I can sense that the dealers are expecting more questions, but the attendees are either shy or feel not as free to talk.

But these are things that can be ironed out. I can see this as a viable way to do pen meets (if not mini pen shows) even when we are back into normal life beyond this pandemic.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

24. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, Will. What you are saying about attendees being shy or not feeling free to talk is one of the subjects I will be discussing with the organisers. From my side, while I enjoyed listening to others and looking at the fabulous pens on offer, I too feel a bit overawed by the company. In the next show I am hoping that will change - I have something to discuss/present (if allowed) that may stimulate discussion from more knowledgeable attendees.

Zoom does have an option for what are called breakout rooms. They are not hard to set up, and could be used for demonstrations or workshops. However, we also have to be mindful of the length of the show. At a physical venue - based on what I've been told - attendees can spend as much as a whole day rummaging through tables of pens. If the online show goes on too long it would suffer from fatigue. At the moment it is kind of restricted to 1.5 to 2 hours, which may be about right.

Anyway, there are ways to improve and/or expand, so it's good to get feedback and suggestions from attendees.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

Sorry for late reply. Pens are displayed and described by each seller - at the moment they have two trays max each. The prices are displayed too. These displays are photographs rather than live stream, and uploaded via Powerpoint (or similar) to the Zoom shared screen. If you are interested in a particular pen then you can either contact the seller directly in real time via Zoom's chat function (like the chatbox here a bit, but with the ability to have private conversations as well as public chats), or contact them via their email/WhatsApp or other contact details the sellers provide.

Bear in mind that like any show (from what I've heard) it's first come first served. If I'd had available funds this time around there is no doubt that I would have jumped all over 3 pens - a Duofold in seafoam green, a Waterman's 94 in moss agate, and another 94 in steel quartz.

Pens shown are usually a mixture of vintage and modern, with a slight lean toward the vintage.

Hope that all makes sense!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 24th, 2020), catbert (May 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Does anyone have a list of the pen sellers please, it would be good to see if there is anyone I know.

Perhaps spmeone has also uploaded it to Youtube, I will check.

Thanks.

Thanks

You should ask over on newpentrace.net

Thanks

You should ask over on newpentrace.net
    I thought that someone who had seen it might be able to mention who was there, doesn't matter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post

Sorry for late reply. Pens are displayed and described by each seller - at the moment they have two trays max each. The prices are displayed too. These displays are photographs rather than live stream, and uploaded via Powerpoint (or similar) to the Zoom shared screen. If you are interested in a particular pen then you can either contact the seller directly in real time via Zoom's chat function (like the chatbox here a bit, but with the ability to have private conversations as well as public chats), or contact them via their email/WhatsApp or other contact details the sellers provide.

Bear in mind that like any show (from what I've heard) it's first come first served. If I'd had available funds this time around there is no doubt that I would have jumped all over 3 pens - a Duofold in seafoam green, a Waterman's 94 in moss agate, and another 94 in steel quartz.

Pens shown are usually a mixture of vintage and modern, with a slight lean toward the vintage.

Hope that all makes sense!
    Yes, it makes the danger to my wallet very clear indeed! Thank you for the detailed write-up.

Thanks

I'll be selling for the first time at the next show on Sunday June 7. I'll have almost entirely modern pens - Italian, American, and Japanese including Nakaya and Eboya. I invite my friends and customers to check PenTrace for the way to register and receive the link to view the show.

Rick

34. The Following User Says Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

da vinci (May 25th, 2020)