Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isn't it the most annoying thing....

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Isn't it the most annoying thing....

.....when you have little pots and jars containing loads of bits and pieces like screws, little plastic caps, bits and pieces and pen parts squirrelled away all over the place, then when you want the simplest thing to fix something you don't have it?

Recently, one of the side locating nuts dropped out of my really nice Mikasa wine bottle opener (some call it a rabbit style corkscrew) that I bought in the US about 5 years ago, and while trying to work out fix it we found it didn't have the little spring in with the nut on the other side. I have several small springs among my "bits & pieces." Probably some from ballpoint pens. Do I have one that I can put in this opener that will make it work? No I don't! I've looked everywhere in the house. I've trawled ebay and Amazon. This size spring actually doesn't exist. Maybe it's a US only size and can't be had in Europe?

What a PITA. The opener won't work without it. I'm going to have to buy a new opener for the sake of a tiny spring. Everywhere I look, I think might there be a spring in there? There's an old printer on the desk here and I'm thinking of opening it up to see if there's one in there. Maybe the old laptop?

Can a spring be made using an electric drill and a piece of wire? It could work.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

amk (May 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Isn't it the most annoying thing....

It's a sign from up above Chrissy, take heed.

However if taking the pledge is not possible I would be happy to see what I have in my box of bits, do you have a drawing or a pic perhaps?
    Last edited by Fermata; May 25th, 2020 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

There are several manufacturers of that design, copies of an original, no doubt. If yours is an original, perhaps a letter to the source would loosen up their parts bin, especially if signed with a fountain pen and a flourish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

However if taking the pledge is not possible I would be happy to see what I have in my box of bits, do you have a drawing or a pic perhaps?
    It's actually called a compression spring. I've measured it with my electronic calliper and it's made from 0.7mm spring wire, the outside spring diameter is 5.5mm and the spring length is 15mm. There are 9 coils in total and both ends have 2 that are close together. I'm considering trying to get some wire to make one if it's possible to wrap the wire around a drill bit on an electric drill.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    There are several manufacturers of that design, copies of an original, no doubt. If yours is an original, perhaps a letter to the source would loosen up their parts bin, especially if signed with a fountain pen and a flourish.
    I have sent an email to Mikasa.com which is the name on the box and the place where I bought it. However, it's no longer among the products on their web-site. Whether they will have a box of bits and pieces that contains one might be called a miracle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Even worse than not finding that elusive part in the horde of parts you have been saving for years is finding 3 of exactly what you need, except to make the repair, you need 4.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 25th, 2020), pajaro (June 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

It's actually called a compression spring. I've measured it with my electronic calliper and it's made from 0.7mm spring wire, the outside spring diameter is 5.5mm and the spring length is 15mm. There are 9 coils in total and both ends have 2 that are close together. I'm considering trying to get some wire to make one if it's possible to wrap the wire around a drill bit on an electric drill.
    Not sure that ordinary wire will have the springiness, the bounce back, that you need.

I have made a note of the size and will se if I have anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I hate when that happens.

Piano / music wire is spring steel and can be made into springs but it will be really difficult to make a proper compression spring with even 4 wraps let alone 9. Unless maybe you create your own spring forming jig somehow. It would be easier with a larger diameter spring, too.

I used to make springs that replaced a car part and those only had 1.5 turns at about 10mm diameter and they provided torque/rotational springiness. They were a PITA to make.

It took many tries to get the technique down. Once I did, I made about 100 more to sell to others. I would hate to try to make a compression spring though. That would be a nightmare.

It might be possible to find a spring that is approximately the same as the original at, maybe Grainger, or another industrial supply, or on eBay.

I have a kit of springs from Harbor Freight. I will see if I can find anything close.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

You may have to consider screw top wine bottles until this gets resolved
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Chrissy,
    There are a number of places that will make a custom spring to your specifications. I have no idea how much they might charge.
    Here's one: https://quickspring.com/

If you Google "custom springs", you'll find lots more.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Even worse than not finding that elusive part in the horde of parts you have been saving for years is finding 3 of exactly what you need, except to make the repair, you need 4.
    Yes that would also qualify as a PITA

Not sure that ordinary wire will have the springiness, the bounce back, that you need.

I have made a note of the size and will see if I have anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    I hate when that happens.

Piano / music wire is spring steel and can be made into springs but it will be really difficult to make a proper compression spring with even 4 wraps let alone 9. Unless maybe you create your own spring forming jig somehow. It would be easier with a larger diameter spring, too.

I used to make springs that replaced a car part and those only had 1.5 turns at about 10mm diameter and they provided torque/rotational springiness. They were a PITA to make.

It took many tries to get the technique down. Once I did, I made about 100 more to sell to others. I would hate to try to make a compression spring though. That would be a nightmare.

It might be possible to find a spring that is approximately the same as the original at, maybe Grainger, or another industrial supply, or on eBay.

I have a kit of springs from Harbor Freight. I will see if I can find anything close.
    Thank you both for your advice. OH has now had a go, but it's very difficult to manage 9 turns of wire, and he doesn't have the right size wire. So although one is close in total length, it doesn't have the correct springiness and number of turns so I think we can call that a reasonable attempt but a fail. I considered buying a pack of assorted springs, but when I am able to examine the sizes on the lid, none of them ever seems anywhere near to the one I want.

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    LOL Yes, I'm doing that, and as it happens most of them are. A particular rosé (blush) favourite wine that used to be associated with Brad and Angelina always comes with a cork, and it's currently the season to drink that type of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stands on Feet View Post
    Chrissy,
    There are a number of places that will make a custom spring to your specifications. I have no idea how much they might charge.
    Here's one: https://quickspring.com/

If you Google "custom springs", you'll find lots more.
    Thank you. I may go that route, but need to bear in mind the cost of the spring. There are plenty of cheap versions of this type of corkscrew around that might be a bit more "throwaway" than I thought my Mikasa version was. Maybe that's the way to go?
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 25th, 2020 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    LOL!!

Thanks

There is a book called Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome, the story is that three men set off in a Victorian rowing skiff from Central London to find the source of the Thames, it may not sound like it but it is a comedy. One episode deals with trying to open a can of pineapple but they had forgetten to pack a can opener, they try every means possible to open the can without success including hitting the can with an oar, beating it with their fists, chewing it, clouting the can with the rollocks, all this effort produced hardly a dent on the can. The more that they failed the more did they feel that they must have the contents of the can. In the end they threw the can into the river in disgust and frustration.

C - stand back from the Chateau Neuf Du Pape until the spring is found.
    Last edited by Fermata; May 25th, 2020 at 07:57 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

amk (May 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Even more frustrating is when you know that you have, by luck, exactly the right component, but it takes you hours and hours to find it.

And when you find it... it's just 1mm over or under size.

Don't ask me how I know :-)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 26th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Even more frustrating is when you know that you have, by luck, exactly the right component, but it takes you hours and hours to find it.

And when you find it... it's just 1mm over or under size.

Don't ask me how I know :-)
    I know how you know.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

amk (May 27th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    .....when you have little pots and jars containing loads of bits and pieces like screws, little plastic caps, bits and pieces and pen parts squirrelled away all over the place, then when you want the simplest thing to fix something you don't have it?

Recently, one of the side locating nuts dropped out of my really nice Mikasa wine bottle opener (some call it a rabbit style corkscrew) that I bought in the US about 5 years ago, and while trying to work out fix it we found it didn't have the little spring in with the nut on the other side. I have several small springs among my "bits & pieces." Probably some from ballpoint pens. Do I have one that I can put in this opener that will make it work? No I don't! I've looked everywhere in the house. I've trawled ebay and Amazon. This size spring actually doesn't exist. Maybe it's a US only size and can't be had in Europe?

What a PITA. The opener won't work without it. I'm going to have to buy a new opener for the sake of a tiny spring. Everywhere I look, I think might there be a spring in there? There's an old printer on the desk here and I'm thinking of opening it up to see if there's one in there. Maybe the old laptop?

Can a spring be made using an electric drill and a piece of wire? It could work.
    Just hope that the price of openers hasn't jumped since the cornavirus. My friend has been looking for a pair of hair clippers under $140 for weeks.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Just hope that the price of openers hasn't jumped since the cornavirus. My friend has been looking for a pair of hair clippers under $140 for weeks.
    Wow reallY? I wasn't aware of that. Fortunately I have some hairdressing scissors and my OH said a couple of days ago that he would need another hair cut this week. He will have to wait for the hairdresser to open before he has the bottom of his neck shaved unless his shaver will do it.
    Sadly, my hair needs attention other than scissors and I can't do foil highlights.

Meanwhile, I've managed to find someone on ebay to make me 2 springs. Yay.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

amk (May 27th, 2020)

Thanks

A good ending happened eventually. My OH mentioned there was an electric Cuisinart bottle opener, and as he had an Amazon gift voucher to use he volunteered to buy it for me from Amazon. It arrived today and is charging as I type this.

So a couple of days ago when I placed the order I cancelled the 2 springs that were being made and fortunately I was in time to cancel them as he hadn't started to make them.

Then I spotted that Fermata wanted a Parker 45 chrome clutch ring, so I went to search for one. I bet you can't guess what I found in the parts tin I had already looked in when searching for the spring? Yes you got it in one.

The spring.

Sod's Law says: It's usually possible to find something as long as you aren't looking for it.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 29th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (May 29th, 2020), pajaro (June 17th, 2020), tscweaves (June 23rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 587 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how much did the bloke on eBay want for fabricating two springs?
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much did the bloke on eBay want for fabricating two springs?
    GB£5