Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lever mechanism fillers

Thanks

Default Re: Lever mechanism fillers

The lever is probably my favorite filler, mainly because many of the classic pre-war Sheaffer and Waterman pens were levers. The lever filler system is simple. A beginner can usually do a simple re-sac, and a little more experienced repairman can replace the J-bar on most of the pens. Each variation has its weaknesses, but the lever filler soldiered on in various forms until well after ballpoints were on the market. And even by the 1950s, Esterbrook was still producing an economical lever filler pen concept in an attractive, durable line of pens. The lever filler was still a viable, solid option at that time, even after 40+ years. A classic lever filler from Sheaffer, Waterman, or Esterbrook is a great place for someone starting in vintage pens. And there is even variety of people with bigger collections from lesser-known makers - Eclipse, Salz Bros, Diamond, Gold Bond, etc. And I think a lever filler Balance is kind of the "classic" pre-war fountain pen.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; May 30th, 2020 at 07:17 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

Deb (May 31st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

It certainly wasn't unreliability that killed the lever filler - or the button filler for that matter. It was the cartridge. Cartridge fillers are cheaper to make and, especially in the early years, they were the means of selling expensive cartridges that only fitted one brand of pen. That was a gold mine for the large manufacturers.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    It certainly wasn't unreliability that killed the lever filler - or the button filler for that matter. It was the cartridge. Cartridge fillers are cheaper to make and, especially in the early years, they were the means of selling expensive cartridges that only fitted one brand of pen. That was a gold mine for the large manufacturers.
    I agree.

One of my favorite filling system is the button filler. It's a novelty, but I love that I can operate it with one hand.

What sometimes mystify me is how come the cartridge/converter system killed innovation of filling systems. I know the answer in part, because FP is no longer mainstream, but still.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I agree.

One of my favorite filling system is the button filler. It's a novelty, but I love that I can operate it with one hand.

What sometimes mystify me is how come the cartridge/converter system killed innovation of filling systems. I know the answer in part, because FP is no longer mainstream, but still.
    Perhaps the dip type coffee maker and now the Keurig type serve as a reason where the perception is the system does not matter and it's just coffee. Using the coffee analogy, I can use any coffee beans I want, just like I can use any bottle ink I want. The convenience systems eliminated options, but provided a cup of coffee.

I have a grinder and use a "press" type make and prefer the simplicity of a lever.

Thanks

I like the point made above that the lever kind of was a creature of the times when fountain pens were the go-to pen, and people understood what they were getting with the lever-filling sac pen.

The other issue was the level of hand fitting and manual production of the lever fill pens in the time when the lever was a main filler mechanism. In those days, the pens were largely produced by hand, assembled by hand, checked for quality by hand. It was accepted that ink sacs went bad eventually and the sac could be replaced relatively cheaply and quickly by someone near the consumer.

I could see the lever as a relatively expensive luxury pen today, sort of the way modern Conklin is making Crescent fillers. But it would be hard now to produce a quality lever filler for under $75.

And in the industry today, warranties are as important as ever. If you use a latex sac, you might get 5 or 7 or (if you're lucky) 10 years of regular use. If the user puts in the wrong ink, the sac may melt sooner. Some consumers will grasp that the sac is a "wear" item like tires on a car - that you eventually replace because that's how it goes. Some will not. A few consumers may grasp that if they put an experimental or certain other inks in the sac, the sac fails sooner. Many will blame the manufacturer though, even if they use such ink and then the sac melts.

Thanks

To stray off topic for a moment, you have reminded me of a matchstick filler I had, yet another pen I should not have sold. It was a Weidlich with a gold overlay and an oversize nib.

I guess that matchstick fillers come from the era when smoking was almost compulsory and boxes of matches were everywhere.

Thanks

Continuing off topic, I used to have a John Holland hatchet filler:

It looks clunky but it was quite practical in use. I have a coin filler somewhere and I had a pen very like the matchstick filler where the clip was shaped to fit the aperture and depress the pressure bar - all sac fillers, of course.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (June 11th, 2020)

Thanks

I was able to acquire a lever fill Sheaffer this week, on my birthday as a matter of fact. It writes very nicely. If it had been a snorkel, although with the same nib, the price would have been much more than $50.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Happy Birthday Sheaffer, Chuck!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (June 11th, 2020)