Thread: Saving pen boxes

Thanks

Default Saving pen boxes

I've saved money and have been able to afford some higher priced pens in the $100+ range. Im saving the boxes for now but I don't have the room to save boxes. Is it necessary to save the boxes? Does it make the pens more valuable if i have a the box if I decide to sell a pen in the future?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Saving pen boxes

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...g-of-your-pens

every vintage pen started off as a new pen, in a box.

when buying a vintage pen, most people will pay more if the box is included. (sometimes a LOT more)

When buying a used pen (not vintage) it's always nice if the box is included.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I threw out most of my pen boxes some time ago. Of course, they were for modern pens. If I had the original boxes for, say, my WWI era Waterman, my Mabie Todd Swan, or even some of the Esterbrook Js, I would keep those. But I don't. If I had bought any real luxury pens, special edition Montblancs or whatnot, no doubt I'd save those boxes. But I don't have anything of that sort.

For myself, possible resale is never something that I think about when buying a pen, not that there's anything wrong with that. If my heirs find that they get a bit less for my mid-range Pilots because they don't have the boxes for them, I won't lose any eternal sleep over it.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

For the vast majority of pens, the boxes are a waste, particularly if you lack space. Unless the pens are vintage, a truly special (expensive) and/or real limited edition (rare), or a pen for which the box is an integral part of the presentation (quite rare) you'll do no harm in throwing them away.

Having said that, I do have most every pen box (not the outer pen box sleeve) from my pens. But I have a lot of space to keep them. With rare exception, if they disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't concern myself with the loss.
    Last edited by sgphoto; May 29th, 2020 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    ...Does it make the pens more valuable if i have a the box if I decide to sell a pen in the future?
    Usually, yes. You have to decide when the resale difference is worth a box taking up space. I wouldn't bother with a Lamy Safari box, but I'd keep a Montblanc Meisterstuck box (and booklet and outer sleeve). Always keep vintage pen boxes for pen resale; they're smaller anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    I've saved money and have been able to afford some higher priced pens in the $100+ range. Im saving the boxes for now but I don't have the room to save boxes. Is it necessary to save the boxes? Does it make the pens more valuable if i have a the box if I decide to sell a pen in the future?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    The short answer to your question is yes, it does tend to make pens more valuable if you have a box and decide to sell a pen in the future.

If storage space is short then the best thing to do is to keep only the very good boxes of the most expensive pens you have bought especially if you don't use them very much.

Some brands benefit greatly from having their original boxes, Montblanc boxes, for example, can provide proof to some that a pen is authentic. Many potential buyers take that as a good sign and will want the pen to come with it's box.

Just keep what you can.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Pen boxes are nuisances. I never pay more for a pen with a box.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I save pen boxes except for Lamy Safari boxes.

When buying, I'm more interested if it's a vintage pen with the box but usually can't afford it. I have boxes for Parker 21, Esterbrook, Wahl (ringtop set), Sheaffer Skripsert and a few others.