Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pelikan M800 nib adjustment - who is good at this?

Thanks

Default Re: Pelikan M800 nib adjustment - who is good at this?

Don’t feed trolls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leprechaun For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Somewhat related to this thread

As I gain more experience in nib work I have started to work on gold nibbed pens and have yet to irreparably ruin one (fingers crossed). The struggle is that usually I go through the 7 stages of grief and many minutes working on the nib where it is writing OK but not great when I start, then better, than bad again, then better, then bad, and then the best I can get it to write. My goal is smoothness with most nibs I work with and I usually can get there but I'm always worried about losing too much tipping material, sometimes that is what it takes to get the pen writing how it should.

I feel like the reason why it takes me so much effort to get the pen to the "just right" level is because I am 1. Very particular about it. And 2. My nib smoothing strategy isn't "good enough" or efficient enough to get it smooth without losing a fair bit of the tipping material or reshaping the nib tip. I figure the reason why this is is because the general wisdom is to "do figure 8s, do circles, write straight lines," or just general stuff that isn't consistent enough to deliver results like I would like. I did read one nib smoothing strategy of writing a large circle and pinpointing the angle of the scratchiness and smoothing based on that, but I haven't had success with that one. Seems more trial and error than anything, though I suppose like it has been said earlier in this thread, there is an art to it. Maybe reading directions on a forum thread can't teach me more than good old practice can.

Thanks

Gena Salorino, at Custom Nib Studio, smoothed my M800, and a lot of other pen nibs I have. She's great!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to danshap For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (November 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danshap View Post
    Gena Salorino, at Custom Nib Studio, smoothed my M800, and a lot of other pen nibs I have. She's great!
    This is who I will go with for all my future work.
    I should have sent my penbbs-456 to her like I originally thought instead of that other amateur in california.
    I have a sneaking suspicion he swapped parts out of my pen.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Checking tine alignment is a relatively simple thing to do. Smoothing though, not quite as easy even with videos. I've heard that Richard Binders classes at pen shows are quite helpful. By all means, do check the alignment. But think before you smooth an expensive nib. Typical smoothing is about $40 plus shipping. A new nib if you screw it up? Two prices stated in this thread - $231 - $500. You do the math and decide if you want to take the risk.
    This is a great recommendation. I tried to align the nib on my Lamy 2000, thinking "How hard can it be?" I adjusted the L2000 nib until it was bent. The heck with the videos and all that. Sometimes you just don't have the knack.

Thanks

I just paid $244.53 for a M1000 at Endless Pens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro