Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelikan M800 nib adjustment - who is good at this?

Thanks

Default Pelikan M800 nib adjustment - who is good at this?

Hello! My first post here. Please be gentle and apologies in advance if this topic has been covered.

I have a 8 year old M800. The nib has developed a bit of a scratch. It's still usable, but not buttery. And as this is my daily pen, I'd like it to be as perfect as can be.

Can anyone recommend a pen repair shop that does good work?

I contacted Pelikan and the only advice they gave was to buy a new nib for $500. Yikes.

Thank you in advance!!

Thanks

Default Re: Pelikan M800 nib adjustment - who is good at this?

If you need a new nib unit for your M800 try cultpens.com. $231.00 plus shipping. In the US the price will be at least 50% more.

Before you order a new unit, try smoothing the nib yourself. See SBRE Brown's Youtube videos on nib smoothing. Nib smoothing is not difficult and with 15-20 dollars or less worth of supplies you can probably make a difference.

Here's another video that goes into more depth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6DIICkOkvI&t=169s

But watch those videos first several times before you try. If you have pens, nib smoothing is always in your future.
    Last edited by sgphoto; June 1st, 2020 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks

Ignore the folks who say “a little micromesh will do ya”. Do not use abrasives until you have eliminated all other possible causes of dysfunction. I repeat: Do not use abrasives until you have eliminated all other possible causes of dysfunction.

Is the ink flowing adequately? Try cleaning. That should usually be your first step. If that doesn’t work, check the tine alignment. Is one tine higher than the other? They should be even. If you’re not comfortable fixing that send it to a nibmeister. I do my own nib work so i’m not the greatest source of advice on who to use, but i did have Mike Masuyama repair a couple pens that required more expertise than i had at the time. He does a good job.

Finally, consider also that those of us with many pens may change our expectations and ideas about smoothness as we hop from pen to pen. That great writer may no longer seem head and shoulders above other pens after we have tried a zillion other pens.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 1st, 2020), BlkWhiteFilmPix (June 6th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Ignore the folks who say “a little micromesh will do ya”. Do not use abrasives until you have eliminated all other possible causes of dysfunction. I repeat: Do not use abrasives until you have eliminated all other possible causes of dysfunction.
    That was the reason I advised the OP to watch the videos several times before proceeding. There are many things regarding nibs that do not require a nib meister to fix. One can learn more about nibs and their problems from watching videos than all the forum chats in the world.

Cheers.

Thanks

When you start out by talking about “smoothing” and supplies and farm out any mention of other factors such as flow and alignment to a video, it sure doesn’t sound like we have the same approach.

Speaking of videos, i do a lot of nib work and i’ve never watched a video on the topic. I’ve watched masters in real life, but mostly i’ve learned from texts, diagrams and from working on nibs. I find static images are a better reference, at least for me.

And while we’re here, i would hope that people who are micromeshing their nibs are disclosing that when they sell their pens.

Thanks

When you start out by talking about “smoothing” and supplies and farm out any mention of other factors such as flow and alignment to a video, it sure doesn’t sound like we have the same approach.

Speaking of videos, i do a lot of nib work and i’ve never watched a video on the topic. I’ve watched masters in real life, but mostly i’ve learned from texts, diagrams and from working on nibs. I find static images are a better reference, at least for me.

And while we’re here, i would hope that people who are micromeshing their nibs are disclosing that when they sell their pens.
    My approach is what I advised the OP. Watch the show and tells, watch lots of them. Many go into great detail about nibs. Some videos are by nibmeisters. Youtube works because you can see someone doing things and telling you what and why they are doing it.

Times have changed. What works for you works for you. But Morse Code isn't the best way to send messages anymore, nor is relying on texts and diagrams to someone wanting to actually see nibs up close and how to solve problems.

Maybe you can send your texts and diagrams to the OP via the US Postal Service. I'm certain he would appreciate it. Or post them here on this forum where everyone can look and learn. While he's waiting for them he can watch videos right now.

Perhaps you should watch the aforementioned videos and then you can decide. But frankly, nib smoothing isn't brain surgery and an hour spent watching good videos will work for most.
    Last edited by sgphoto; June 1st, 2020 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks

If you’re going to write, write. Otherwise go be a youtube star.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Any competent nibmeister can make the pen write just like you want. I haven't used any yet (I do my own work) but have seen Mike Masuyama work in person and tried the reaults. I would trust any of my pens to him. Likewise for Ron Zorn (Main Street Pens) on the forums here. He is highly regarded for repair work.

Is it scratchy like grab the paper? Or is excessive feedback? Did it come on suddenly or gradually?

Could be tine misalignment, worn tip, or damaged tip. Misalignment doesn't require abrasives.

There may be a few threads with other recommended nib gurus.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (June 2nd, 2020), welch (June 5th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

It sounds like it might be that the nib tines have become misaligned if it has been written with for 8 years but now feels a bit scratchy. The leading tine might be slightly higher than the following tine.

I find that this sometimes happens with my Pelikan M400N.

With the aid of a 10x loupe you could look and see if the nib tines are aligned properly and carefully realign them if they aren't.

I would recommend that you don't start smoothing a nib until you've established that the nib tines are aligned properly.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (June 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

There are many vids on you tube on nib smoothing but this guide from Jet Pens gives some straightforward advice:

https://www.jetpens.com/blog/guide-t...-tricks/pt/777

As Chrissy says, check the alignment before you start smoothing. There are all sorts of materials that are used to polish a lined up nib from glass, copper or aliminium sheet, polished stone, less polished stone, Arkansas stone, whetstone. I have seen people use all sorts of objects and devices to smooth nibs, and they all swear by them.
    Last edited by Fermata; June 2nd, 2020 at 05:05 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...check the tine alignment. Is one tine higher than the other? They should be even....
    I agree that it is crucial that you check for this at the outset, since it is a common cause for a smooth nib to "go scratchy." The advice to start with nib smoothing can cost you a favorite nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Fermata’s JetPens link is actually pretty good. I hadn’t seen it before. I usually link Richard Binder’s nib smoothing workshop notes

Nib smoothing with abrasives is the final step in adjusting a nib, and you can’t know if it needs it until it’s aligned properly. You certainly never start with it.

Thanks

If anyone will bother to check, though not likely, you'll see the first video link is by Brian Gray, who goes though the ENTIRE process of nib tuning. He owns Edison Pens.

All the blather about fuddy-duddy days of yore and ignorance of modernity might not happen if persons would actually WATCH the video before assuming the Nib Apocalypse is on the horizon.

Maybe those texts and diagrams would help provided they're not written on papyrus with hieroglyphics as when God gave the high holy word on nibs that "Shall Be The Only Way."
    Last edited by sgphoto; June 2nd, 2020 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks

@voegelin:
    You don't say what country you are inso we can direct you to the closest person that can help.

I would second the advice Chrissy gave: the tines have become misaligned over the years. This happens quite easily by just removing the nib when there is dried ink on the threads and you try to unscrew the nib. The nib twists a bit in relation to the feed.
    I have seen this in most German pens with a screw in nib, and not only Pelikan. Knocking the nib and feed out of the nib collar and re-aligning the nib and feed before putting it back together fixes 99% of misalignments.

If you are going to try doing it yourself, soak the nib for a day or so to make sure there is no dried ink around before trying to knock the feed out or you can break the collar or worse, damage the feed.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whych For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 2nd, 2020), carlos.q (June 2nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Checking tine alignment is a relatively simple thing to do. Smoothing though, not quite as easy even with videos. I've heard that Richard Binders classes at pen shows are quite helpful. By all means, do check the alignment. But think before you smooth an expensive nib. Typical smoothing is about $40 plus shipping. A new nib if you screw it up? Two prices stated in this thread - $231 - $500. You do the math and decide if you want to take the risk.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 3rd, 2020), carlos.q (June 2nd, 2020), Chrissy (June 2nd, 2020), welch (June 5th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    @voegelin:
    You don't say what country you are inso we can direct you to the closest person that can help.

I would second the advice Chrissy gave: the tines have become misaligned over the years. This happens quite easily by just removing the nib when there is dried ink on the threads and you try to unscrew the nib. The nib twists a bit in relation to the feed.
    I have seen this in most German pens with a screw in nib, and not only Pelikan. Knocking the nib and feed out of the nib collar and re-aligning the nib and feed before putting it back together fixes 99% of misalignments.

If you are going to try doing it yourself, soak the nib for a day or so to make sure there is no dried ink around before trying to knock the feed out or you can break the collar or worse, damage the feed.
    First, thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice. Thank you very much!

I'm in Canada, so if there are any nib repair folks here in the great white north I'd be happy to hear from you.

Great advice on looking at youtube for nib solutions. I do that for every other fix-it job, but hadn't thought to do that for pens.

Specifically, the ink is flowing just fine, and the nib isn't grabbing paper, but in the past the nib was super-smooth and now it's just developed somewhat of an edge - a scratch. Certainly not the end of the world, but not what I want from my proudest pen possession.

Again, thank you all! I look forward to future conversations. Off I go to youtube!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to voegelin For This Useful Post:

sgphoto (June 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voegelin View Post
    @voegelin:

First, thanks to everyone who took the time to offer advice. Thank you very much!

I'm in Canada, so if there are any nib repair folks here in the great white north I'd be happy to hear from you.

Great advice on looking at youtube for nib solutions. I do that for every other fix-it job, but hadn't thought to do that for pens.

Specifically, the ink is flowing just fine, and the nib isn't grabbing paper, but in the past the nib was super-smooth and now it's just developed somewhat of an edge - a scratch. Certainly not the end of the world, but not what I want from my proudest pen possession.

Again, thank you all! I look forward to future conversations. Off I go to youtube!
    Some of the benefits of Youtube videos are you'll learn all about the nib, what you can and shouldn't attempt, and if in doubt get a reputable nib meister to help you. Those videos will give you good information to make an estimate of your nib's condition allowing you to make an informed decision.

This may help you as well. It's a list of pen repair videos on Youtube with many nib references.
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...e-list-and-why

Here's a pdf from Richard Binder. http://www.richardspens.com/pdf/workshop_notes.pdf

Let me know how it works for you. Best of luck.

Cheers,
    Sg
    Last edited by sgphoto; June 2nd, 2020 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I would agree with trying everything else before nib smoothing. If it comes to that it's best to go with your original idea and send the pen to someone with experience. I don't know what modern Pelikan nibs cost but I imagine it would inflict severe wallet-pain if you get it wrong - and that's remarkably easy to do.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 3rd, 2020), carlos.q (June 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voegelin View Post
    @voegelin:

I would suggest to take some decent resolution photos from different angles and post it here. Not necessarily but quite probably it shall be possible to see where is the problem.

Thanks

- Do NOT try smoothing yourself. Not unless you are an experienced nib-specialist, and, then you wouldn't be asking these questions.

- Send it for tuning to someone reliable. I send pens to Josh Lax, or JJ Lax. Josh is good, and it happens we both belong to the Big Apple Pen Club. I have used Mike Masuyama and Pendleton Brown. Both are good. Richard Binder trained Linda Kennedy of Indy Pen Dance.

- Do NOT try smoothing, not with micromesh or anything else that is advertised to take tiny pieces off the tipping material. Follow Ron's advice, and save a $500 nib unit.