Thread: B.J. MacAllister

Thanks

Default B.J. MacAllister

Today is the anniversary of the passing of Billy Joe MacAllister who tragically met his end by jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge. I am glad B. Gentry chronicled the passing.

Thanks

Default Re: B.J. MacAllister

That song still haunts me. I was really young when it was released, but even the little grade school version of me found it evoked a life and place so vividly that I needed to know what was thrown off that bridge. I still can’t figure it out.

Thanks

Default Re: B.J. MacAllister

According to Jethro Bodine, or at least Max Baer who played Jethro and directed the movie of the same title as the song, Billie Joe was confused about having sex with his sawmill boss in a brothel and that is why he jumped. I cannot recall in the movie what the two threw into the river but I suspect it was something symbolic--and cheesy. I think in the song Bobbie and Billie Joe were tossing flowers as she did that after the jump and it makes sense she would do something they did together. The movie sucked but the song is one of the all time greats. Every year on this date, thanks to YouTube, the song is played.

elaineb, i see you are a Bostonian? In the city or within 128?
    Last edited by Roe D Hym; June 3rd, 2020 at 10:08 AM.