Thread: Raleigh Show On! (August 14-16)

Thanks

Default Raleigh Show On! (August 14-16)

Good News!
    The reschedule date for the Raleigh Pen Show (would have been this weekend) August 14-16 is Official!
    The show will go on as scheduled!
    I wrote my latest Blog prior to this news- but still relevant!

http://www.trianglepenshow.com

See You in Raleigh!

Frank
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

Thanks

Default Re: Raleigh Show On! (August 14-16)

I read your blog.

Until a vaccine is found there will continue to be reduced attendance at all events. Things have changed - and not just for the short term.

While those that live close to Raleigh may attend, others who usually fly in to attend will be hesitant to do so. Locals who have attended pens shows in the past and are cognizant of the close contact and amounts of people who may attend, will be reluctant to go and handle the merchandise. If these people are now afraid to go to the barber shop, they won't be going to a pen show.

While this is regrettable, it does offer pen sellers an opportunity to develop new ways of showing and selling their merchandise online. The past few months have seen a remarkable rise in people willing to buy online if the merchandise is properly presented. Pen sellers, particularly the smaller retailers, will need to get creative and grasp new concepts of show-and-tell if they wish to survive.

I've made more pen purchases online with successful outcomes at less cost and physical travel in the past four months than in the past four years. Of course, I used credit cards or Paypal, not cash. Cash is what most sellers will miss- nice, untraceable cash. I get it.

While online sales will not be a satisfactory solution to the meeting of friends and sellers at pen shows, unfortunately it will be the near-term or perhaps long-term way of doing business. People who have grown up with the internet and online sales are comfortable doing it this way. I suspect those pen dealers who hope to survive the new norm will take action to not be left behind. Opportunities are found in bad circumstances. There are many possibilities available and technology changes everyday.

It's up to the pen sellers to find what works or they'll see sales plummet if they wait for pen shows to return.

Good luck at the Raleigh Show and I hope you have a grand turnout. I'm betting a lot of people will be watching to see how it goes.
    Last edited by sgphoto; June 4th, 2020 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgphoto View Post

While this is regrettable, it does offer pen sellers an opportunity to develop new ways of showing and selling their merchandise online.

For anyone who is not aware, a Zoom based multi dealer pen "Show and Sell" has been started. The next event is this Sunday and I will be a seller for my first time in that venue.

"Attendance" is by invitation. If you would like to attend, you can get in touch with the proper person via his post on PenTrace

Thanks

Is the Zoom based show-and-sell available to watch after the live-stream?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

I don't think so.

Edit: Although now that I remember, registered attendees receive exclusive access to a PDF catalog.
    Last edited by carlos.q; June 5th, 2020 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks

I think one of the organizers did post an earlier one on Facebook under the page Zoom Pen Show

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    I don't think so.

Edit: Although now that I remember, registered attendees receive exclusive access to a PDF catalog.
    That's a shame. Certainly not a way to increase viewership. Posting on Youtube would allow thousands to see it, how it works, and perhaps want to attend a 'live' version. That certainly could and probably would lead to an increase in sales.

Of course, if the idea is to restrict viewership and keep it on the down-low, they're going about it in the right way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

I don't think so.

That's a shame. Certainly not a way to increase viewership. Posting on Youtube would allow thousands to see it, how it works, and perhaps want to attend a 'live' version. That certainly could and probably would lead to an increase in sales.

Of course, if the idea is to restrict viewership and keep it on the down-low, they're going about it in the right way.
    That's one way of viewing it. But when you consider that the price of admission is free I really don't see a problem.

Thanks

I don't think so.

That's one way of viewing it. But when you consider that the price of admission is free I really don't see a problem.
    I might be busy and not have the time to watch at that particular moment. Plus, if it was on Youtube afterward, I could fast forward through the parts that don't interest me. If someone is wanting to increase sales and put themselves out there as a seller, why wouldn't it make sense to put it on Youtube?

Others who are successful understand the idea of 'you can't sell it if you don't show it" and make their live streams available on Youtube.

Making it easy for people to buy is now the norm. I have two vintage pens I'm ready to buy now. If sellers make it difficult to get my money, I'll go elsewhere where sellers do make it easy.

I can understand somewhat why they want registration for the "live' stream, but fail to understand why it's not available later on. What am I missing?
    Last edited by sgphoto; June 5th, 2020 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks

That they’re selling expensive collectors items, not generic widgets where the usual sales bromides apply? That they might not have the technical wherewithal, interest or consent from all parties to put it on u-tube?

Here’s a thought: attend the show and watch u-tube in another tab. Or just wait for it to appear on u-tube.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    That they’re selling expensive collectors items, not generic widgets where the usual sales bromides apply? That they might not have the technical wherewithal, interest or consent from all parties to put it on u-tube?

Here’s a thought: attend the show and watch u-tube in another tab. Or just wait for it to appear on u-tube.
    All those conditions are easily solved. Expensive collector items are sold in a variety of ways on Youtube and other visual platforms. Sales are sales bromides notwithstanding. What has worked before in human nature continues to work.

Technical problems can easily be solved by a computer literate 14-year-old. Not interested in sales? Then why are they having pen sales? Consent to be used on Youtube can be a condition of participation. Most if not all sellers would jump at the opportunity to reach thousands instead of a few hundred. Youtube works 24 hours a day.

Goulet has made most of his sales by reaching a vast audience on Youtube, not by limiting potential viewers.

I see nothing but a potential upside easily accomplished to the sellers and viewers' benefit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

There are privacy issues around recording and then broadcasting this kind of online event. There would have to be total agreement from all attendees to be recorded for a start.