Thread: Parker 51 Tunis Blue

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Parker 51 Tunis Blue

The best way to guarantee someone wants to do something, is to tell them they aren't allowed to...

On that note...

Parker "51" Ink: Tunis Blue Edition!

A series of inks so deadly to pens, they had to invent a new pen just to handle it!

Imagine a time when the only writing implements around were dip pens, pencils and fountain pens. It was called the 1930s!

Ink and Pen manufacturers are in a race to make the fastest drying ink. Everyone is carrying around a blotter, they are so common that they are used for advertising the way match books and ballpoint pens are now. Smearing ink is an everyday inconvenience. To get an edge, manufacturers need a faster drying ink. First, Parker invented Quink (a portmanteau of quick and ink) but then, they invented the fastest drying ink they could. It didn't really "dry" by evaporation so much as it soaked into the paper.

There was only one little tiny problem... It ATE PENS. Especially celluloid pens... oh, and it also dried out on nibs... Of course, the only OBVIOUS solution was to invent an entirely new pen just to handle this one ink! (available in 4 colours)

And boy did they. The Parker "51" was so successful that after making the first 12 million or so, they just stopped counting.

Learn more about the ink here: http://www.richardsp...care/51_ink.htm
    Learn more about the pen here: http://www.richardsp...profiles/51.htm

Too bad the ink was still semi-deadly to that pen too... so it was only made from 1941 to about 1948. (when it was replaced by the SLIGHTLY less deadly Superchrome MTF on that...)

That makes the bottle in question at least 72 years old.

Here's the patent for "51" quick drying writing fluid, and the recipe for Tunis Blue is included!
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US1932248A/

For any chemists who decide to try and replicate this ink:
    a) this is a BAD idea!
    b) I very much would like some please!

Now then, in Monty Python fashion: GET ON WITH IT!

Obligatory "artsy" glamour shot (yeah... it's no where near PenHero's level, I know. #photographygoals)
    (pictured with a Cedar Blue "51")

There was some sedimentation... Well, sedimentation is not the right word... a crust about 1/4 of an inch thick had built up on the bottom of the bottle.
    So I did what any (un)reasonable person would do; I used a dental pick to scrape as much of it off the bottom of the bottle and back into suspension (not solution!) as possible!

OK, OK, but what does it LOOK like!?

Well, when I hear the words Tunis Blue, I think of something like those crazy bright blue doors in Tunisia

see more here: https://www.authentictraveling.org/doors-of-tunisia/
    Something akin to the colour of the box

but when you GOOGLE "Tunis Blue Paint" you get stuff like this:
    https://encycolorpedia.com/1a223b
    https://encycolorpedia.com/4b6983
    https://encycolorpedia.com/486271

Seems Chrysler and GM (twice!) have different ideas than the rest of the internet WRT what exactly Tunis Blue is...

Another thing to consider is: The Parker "51" Ink line had only 4 colours
    India Black;
    China Red;
    Pan American Green; and
    Tunis Blue.

Only one blue.

Alright, enough, here's what it looks like!:

It's BLUE BLACK!!!
    Wait... It's BLUE BLACK???
    Actually it's a kind of really dark purple that dries slightly bluer than it is when wet

So... uhm, this is awkward... I was expecting a bright blue turquoise...

Was it ALWAYS this colour? I have No idea!
    I know at least SOME of the liquid MUST have evaporated over 70 odd years, and at least SOME colour degradation is likely to have happened.
    But to go from (the expected) turquoise to purple-ish blue black seems a little extreme...

I think it may always have been a dark blue or blue black.
    This is an ink aimed at Business people, busy business people, the kind of people who don't have time to wait for ink to dry!
    And not poor ones either! The pen was expensive!
    So a darker more subdued blue (or blue black) actually makes sense for that clientele.

But your guess is as good as mine. Unless of course someone has a CONFIRMED writing sample with Tunis Blue from the 1940s (and if you do, PLEASE post it to this thread!)

And now the writing... My handwriting is bad enough that I may as well have just written out the first 6 pages of Lorem Ipsum... legible text typed out below the page
    Clairefontaine Notebook (bright white paper)

Parker "51" Tunis Blue
    Twsbi Eco Medium Nib
    Wing Sung 601 eBay replacement
    nib

The quick brown fox jumps
    over the lazy dog!

"Dries Almost Instantly -
    Completely Permanently"

(But not really) (smear test)

"For the Parker "51" Pen Only"

Rhodia Notebook (this is a cream coloured paper)

Parker "51" Tunis Blue
    3oz bottle bought on
    eBay April 2020
    Made from 1941-1948.
    Designed to "Dry Almost
    Instantlly" by soaking
    into the paper. So
    destructively Alkaline
    it forced the creation of
    the "51" pen. I expected
    this to be a Turquoise,
    but it's a purple-ish
    Blue Black. Dry time of
    this bottle is unremarkable
    May be over-saturated due to
    evaporation

[Dry Times Testing]

Would Buy Again?
    Not Applicable

Parker "51"
    Tunis Blue
    Twsbi Eco (M)
    Wing Sung 601
    Shading: Low
    Saturation: High
    Feathering: Low/Nil
    Spread: Low/Nil
    Bleed: Low Nil
    Cleaning: Very Easy!

[Water Test] dripped, let sit and padded dry

Bastard Q-Tip (with apologies to SBREBrown)

Note: Hard Starts after
    putting the pen down
    [see "Cleaning" comment for an example. The pen had been capped and put on a desk while I cleaned the other pen in the sink]
    Runs Very wet, tries
    to escape the pen once
    flowing!

Notes:

I put this ink in a Wing Sun 601 and a TWSBI Eco.
    Both pens had similar results: hard starts after putting the pen down (CAPPED) for even only 5 minutes, but then VERY good flow once flowing again.

Since it was hard starting after only 5 minutes, I did not want to leave it in a pen overnight.

It did wash out of both pens VERY VERY easily. Even more easily than Waterman Mysterious Blue

Conclusion:

So there it is. The Colour of Parker "51" Tunis Blue.

It's like a purple-ish blue black that will kill your pen in the long run and cost you a ton of money (and hard starting aggravation) for the privilege!

My curiosity is satisfied... for now...

(The bottle of Superchome Jade Green is already on it's way ... )

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 8th, 2020), eachan (October 10th, 2020), fountainpenkid (June 12th, 2020), junglejim (June 9th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (September 8th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Parker 51 Tunis Blue

Thank goodness it's no longer available. If some had somehow turned up here I might have almost been interested enough to dip a Q-tip in it before throwing it away.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I'm just glad i know what the colour was/is

Now i don't feel like I'm missing out

I freaking LOVE blue turquoises and i was afraid this was going to be a really great one, that was unsafe/unusable

Now at least the internet search results will eventually (hopefully) point to my review and others can avoid the temptation to buy that bottle on the bay...

Thanks

I once bought an ink that was described as Blue-Black that had a word that obviously translated to turquoise on the bottle. It's turquoise.

Thanks

That's a pretty bad translation error...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    I believe that the seller assumed it was blue-black and didn't successfully translate the word turchese on the bottle. It's a lovely Francesco Rubinato bottle.

Francesco Rubinato Turquoise.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 8th, 2020 at 11:32 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (September 8th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I believe that the seller assumed it was blue-black and didn't successfully translate the word turchese on the bottle. It's a lovely Francesco Rubinato bottle.
    had to google that, but those are some pretty nice bottles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Thanks for doing this. My curiosity is satisfied. I'm also glad it wasn't some must have fancy blue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    Thanks for doing this. My curiosity is satisfied. I'm also glad it wasn't some must have fancy blue.
    You're welcome. We can rest safe in the knowledge that this is not something we are missing out on

I can't wait to see how Superchrome Jade Green compares to "51" Pan American Green!

Need to get my hands on the BB Superchrome and the Turquoise too. But there are purchasing priorities to attend to...
    like the bottle of Vintage Skrip BB i desperately want to buy (would be nice to buy an ink i can ACTUALLY USE for a change...) but for some reason keep finding something ELSE to buy instead... like a rare still liquid bottle of Jade Green... :P

Thanks

like the bottle of Vintage Skrip BB i desperately want to buy (would be nice to buy an ink i can ACTUALLY USE for a change...) :P
    That is easy enough to do. Don't allow yourself to be tempted by old, worn out and useless inks that no-one ever uses. Maybe just buy empty bottles to pique your curiosity about that vintage age, but only buy inks that you are confident that you can fill your pens and write with?
    Would writing ink reviews for inks that we can all get and enjoy not be a better use of your time?

(I almost feel guilty for adding them to the Ink Review index in case it makes people think that means they can actually be used.)
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 9th, 2020 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks

A Superchrome advertisement being sold on EBay shows a normal blue and a dark blue. There was a Superchrome Blue-black. From offerings for Superchome: Turquoise Blue and Blue-Black. Given what I saw of Turquoise -- a bluish gray sludge -- perhaps the blue dye in the two Superchomes has died out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    like the bottle of Vintage Skrip BB i desperately want to buy (would be nice to buy an ink i can ACTUALLY USE for a change...) :P
    That is easy enough to do. Don't allow yourself to be tempted by old, worn out and useless inks that no-one ever uses. Maybe just buy empty bottles to pique your curiosity about that vintage age, but only buy inks that you are confident that you can fill your pens and write with?
    Would writing ink reviews for inks that we can all get and enjoy not be a better use of your time?

(I almost feel guilty for adding them to the Ink Review index in case it makes people think that means they can actually be used.)
    It would seem to be easy to do... the problem is my dangerous curiosity :P

Re ink review index: well, the upside is that i make it (i hope) pretty clear NOT to use these inks... and it's not like the boxes or bottles lack proper labelling WRT to the inks safety in a pen other than the "51"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    A Superchrome advertisement being sold on EBay shows a normal blue and a dark blue. There was a Superchrome Blue-black. From offerings for Superchome: Turquoise Blue and Blue-Black. Given what I saw of Turquoise -- a bluish gray sludge -- perhaps the blue dye in the two Superchomes has died out.
    It looks like Superchrome came in Black, BB, Turquoise, Red and Green.
    Assuming Tunis Blue was ALWAYS a BB, its basically the same 4 basic colours with the addition of Turquoise.

It seems from my browsing of ebay that Turquoise inks didn't really become "a thing" until sometime in the late 40s/50s or so. And still it seems as though there are MANY MANY times more blue, bb, and black ink bottles floating around from those times than turquoises of any kind

I think your bottle of Superchrome turquoise might have been a dud, see this link
    https://www.stalkhub.com/user/founta...20_5801257509/ (not my content, but his entire month of April 2019 its AWESOME and pretty much the ONLY picture of what Superchrome Turquoise looks like!)

But waterman was making South Sea Blue (now inspired blue) in 1946!
    https://books.google.ca/books?id=Rpc...old%22&f=false
    https://www.stalkhub.com/user/founta...47_5801257509/ (older bottle of south sea blue same instragram channel, great stuff)
    Last edited by INeedAFinancialAdvisor; June 9th, 2020 at 04:46 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

NumberSix (July 26th, 2020), welch (June 9th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks, INeed. Here is a Superchrome advertisement from 1947, or so says EBay. It lists "Super-Red, Super-Blue, Super-Green, Super-Blue-Black, Super-Black". See:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-Parker...d0a568619795de

I almost forgot. The advertisement says that Superchrome comes in a four ounce bottle -- "a year's supply". So that's how much Parker expected a person to write in a full year during the golden years of the fountain pen.

Incidentally, I wonder if Nathan Tardiff was attempting to make a modern Superchrome in his various ultra permanent and quick drying saturated inks. Superchrome was advertised as having "3 - 10" times as much dye as ordinary ink. We've seen that it dries immediately. It seems permanent.

Was Superchrome the model for many Noodlers inks?

[edited for typos and grammar. I still hear Mrs. Smith, from 7th Grade, scolding us for sloppy work, and then ordering us to diagram the sentences in a paragraph from Winston Churchill.]
    Last edited by welch; June 10th, 2020 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for the link

To find vintage ads i usually go to books.google.com and search the magazines (hence the link above to the Waterman's ad)

I know that (except for the Baystate Series) Nathan Tardif apparently goes out of his way to ensure ph Neutrality in his inks. Superchrome (and "51) definitely did not have that!

But I will say based on my observations of the way Q-E'Ternity (a quick drying BB) works, it definitely seems to "soak in" to the paper in the "51"/Superchrome style. As do most (if not all) of the Bulletproofs that I have tried.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

welch (June 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Parker says Tunis is blue. Wahl-Eversharp says Tunis is burgundy:

Can anyone who's been to Tunis explain?

Thanks

It is not blue.