Thread: How to straighten a sprung clip on P-51

Thanks

Default How to straighten a sprung clip on P-51

I have been digging through my box of "needs work" Parker 51's. Several have sprung clips, or a clip pulled away from the cap.

Is there an easy fix?

The most detail I have found on-line is that the jewel screws into a clip holder, which secures the clip by screwing into the cap / inner cap. Does this mean that to get the clip off the cap it is necessary first to pull the jewel? And then the piece into which the jewel screws?

I've seen discussions about the best tool and method for removing the jewel. Looks like tricky business. Is it necessary just to get at the clip?

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: How to straighten a sprung clip on P-51

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    I have been digging through my box of "needs work" Parker 51's. Several have sprung clips, or a clip pulled away from the cap.

Is there an easy fix?

The most detail I have found on-line is that the jewel screws into a clip holder, which secures the clip by screwing into the cap / inner cap. Does this mean that to get the clip off the cap it is necessary first to pull the jewel? And then the piece into which the jewel screws?

I've seen discussions about the best tool and method for removing the jewel. Looks like tricky business. Is it necessary just to get at the clip?
    The jewel (plastic) screws into a bushing (brass), the bushing screws into the inner cap (plastic) and holds the clip to the cap
    To remove the clip you will have to remove the jewel. Most people use something sticky like the sticky cubes available, i have used wide rubber bands.

I have not had it happen to me (thankfully) but be aware that the screw-in part of the jewel have been known to break off inside the bushing.

I read somewhere that an easy way to fix a sprung clip involves a stick behind the clip, no removal from cap required, I'll see if i can dig it up

found it (uses a key, not a stick):
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...er-to-the-cap/ (i assume this is what you meant by "sprung" clip...)
    Last edited by INeedAFinancialAdvisor; June 10th, 2020 at 10:04 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 10th, 2020), da vinci (June 12th, 2020), welch (June 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

If you own a USC then it's probably a good idea to give the cap a whirl in there before attempting to unscrew the jewel in the top of the cap. Otherwise, a dip in hot water will help just in case someone shellacked it in.

Once you unscrew the jewel then the brass screw it's an easy fix to straighten the clip.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (June 10th, 2020), welch (June 10th, 2020)

Thanks

Ah. Thanks for the information. I was afraid that I'd have to get the jewel out. Happened to see a discussion in FPN in which several experienced people, including Ron Zorn, tossed around alternate ways of unscrewing a jewel. Several involve heat or a chemical to soften any sealant applied to the Ron Z. sells a funny looking thing that he uses to press down on a jewel as he unscrews it.

No, I don't have an ultra-sonic cleaner. That always seemed like a device for someone in the pen repair business. Too expensive for me...I just want to fix up my own fountain pens.

I remember advice, some years ago, to put a popsicle stick (or two) under the clip, and then to bend the clip down over the stick(s). Wrong kind of bend in my clips. (Just curious: what is British English for a popsicle? Do you folks have them? Here, the weather is getting warm enough that the ice-cream trucks will be out, at least as Gov. Cuomo thinks the pandemic has eased enough. A strange summer we will have.)
    Last edited by welch; June 10th, 2020 at 02:11 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Ah. Thanks for the information. I was afraid that I'd have to get the jewel out. Happened to see a discussion in FPN in which several experienced people, including Ron Zorn, tossed around alternate ways of unscrewing a jewel. Several involve heat or a chemical to soften any sealant applied to the Ron Z. sells a funny looking thing that he uses to press down on a jewel as he unscrews it.

No, I don't have an ultra-sonic cleaner. That always seemed like a device for someone in the pen repair business. Too expensive for me...I just want to fix up my own fountain pens.

I remember advice, some years ago, to put a popsicle stick (or two) under the clip, and then to bend the clip down over the stick(s). Wrong kind of bend in my clips. (Just curious: what is British English for a popsicle? Do you folks have them? Here, the weather is getting warm enough that the ice-cream trucks will be out, at least as Gov. Cuomo thinks the pandemic has eased enough. A strange summer we will have.)
    I don't think you should be afraid of trying to get the jewel unscrewed. It might turn out to be easier than you think. I once managed to get one out just with an eraser. Also, there are some reasonably priced US cleaners around.

We definitely don't call them popsicles here. Most Brits would call them ice lollies or lollipops, I think some might even call them suckers.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

welch (June 12th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

My U/S cleaner cost like $30 or $40.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Ah.
    I remember advice, some years ago, to put a popsicle stick (or two) under the clip, and then to bend the clip down over the stick(s). Wrong kind of bend in my clips.
    I've seen people trying to straighten a sprung clip in that way. Doesn't work, or at least not in my experience. It really shouldn't be too hard to get the jewel out and then you can straighten the clip properly.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

welch (June 12th, 2020)

Thanks

Both of my "51"' FP's came with a loose jewel including a couple of the early pencils. I got concerned at first that they might loosen in my pocket and be lost forever. I've considered briefly using shellac, but dismissed later when I got them tightened well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

I don't think you should be afraid of trying to get the jewel unscrewed. It might turn out to be easier than you think. I once managed to get one out just with an eraser. Also, there are some reasonably priced US cleaners around.

We definitely don't call them popsicles here. Most Brits would call them ice lollies or lollipops, I think some might even call them suckers.
    "Ice-lollies"? OK, I can see how that derives from "lollipop". Where I grew up, Washington DC, a "sucker" was a kids name for a "lollipop". Only grownups or rock&roll singers called them "lollipops". Here, introduced by Dick Clark himself (long intro) are the Chordettes, from 1958: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fty3Nzc-oiY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    ...Most Brits would call them ice lollies...
    Up North we used to call them lolly ices

(Even better were jubbly's)

Here in the states we can get a bag of the sticks at the dollar store - also bags of bamboo skerwers. Both handy items around the house/workshop.

Cheers!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Octavius For This Useful Post:

welch (June 24th, 2020)