Thread: What is the best way to mail an ink sample or cartridge?

Thanks

Default What is the best way to mail an ink sample or cartridge?

For the cartridge, it is about 7mm in diameter. Can I mail that in a normal letter envelope (i.e. I don't have to put it in a box)? What about an ink sample vial?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: What is the best way to mail an ink sample or cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by inkguesser View Post
    For the cartridge, it is about 7mm in diameter. Can I mail that in a normal letter envelope (i.e. I don't have to put it in a box)? What about an ink sample vial?
    You don't say where in the world you are mailing from but you will need to check what dimensions of letters are allowed on your own mail service web-site. However, many Countries have a Large Letter type service that should be suitable to use for cartridges and for ink sample vials

I don't believe a cartridge can be sent within the specified dimensions of any regular Letter rate. Certainly not here in the UK by Royal Mail nor in the US by USPS. In the US USPS says that "a letter must be flat and able to pass through their automated mail-processing equipment."

Therefore I don't think that even a cartridge would work within their Letter rate. It might be flattened by the machine then ink would be everywhere.

I've had some pen pals send me letters that originally had sealing wax stamps on that have been ripped off by the USPS sorting equipment.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 10th, 2020 at 11:54 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

damfino (September 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I checked USPS requirements and it says that an oddly shaped letter sized envelope will be charged a non machineable fee. It's still under a dollar even with the fee but I'm worried that they won't realize about the shape before putting it in the machine and it will be damaged. Is there any way I can mark it as a reminder that it should be sorted by hand instead of machine?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inkguesser View Post
    I checked USPS requirements and it says that an oddly shaped letter sized envelope will be charged a non machineable fee. It's still under a dollar even with the fee but I'm worried that they won't realize about the shape before putting it in the machine and it will be damaged. Is there any way I can mark it as a reminder that it should be sorted by hand instead of machine?
    No there isn't. They don't notice envelopes with a big blob of sealing wax on them.
    This is the source I found.
    But if you want to accept the risk of something not getting to your recipient it's up to you
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

The oddly shaped letter sized envelope refers to some of the oversized or strange shaped Hallmark cards that seem to proliferate, all of which are flat. It does NOT refer to a letter that has a bulge in it that can't go through a USPS sorting machine. This according to the Postal Clerk I spoke to last year. I have been sending a fair number of ink samples to penpals both here in the US and overseas to Great Britain and Asia over the past 2 years. For 2 or 3 small international sized ink cartirdges or 1 or 2 ink sample vials I use a 3x6 padded envelope such as these:

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Bubbl...s%2C262&sr=8-6

They are also for sale individually at USPS Post Offices. Take the sample cartridges and put them in a small zip lock bag and then fold the bag around the cartridges for extra padding. Insert into the padded envelope and then take it to the Post Office Clerk who will weigh it and charge you the proper postage. For the larger sample vials, I tighten the caps and then wrap the lids in a layer of Blue Painters tape. It then goes into a small zip lock bag and then into the padded envelope. For overseas travel I'll also cut an extra piece of bubble wrap to put into the padded envelope for additional protection. I haven't had a leak yet, knock on wood...

And YES, the cost of postage will sometimes be higher than the cost of the ink you bought. Two sample vials sent to Great Britain or Japan by USPS First Class International (cheapest way) will run about $13.25. Two sample vials sent to another US State runs about $3.25.

All the Best.
    Last edited by junglejim; June 11th, 2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 11th, 2020), damfino (September 10th, 2020)