Thread: Pelikan 200 disassembly

Thanks

Default Pelikan 200 disassembly

Hi folks,
    Is it even possible?
    I've an Amber 200 that was put away wet many years ago.
    A good soak and the piston is now moving but (and I know you will understand) I'd like to take the pen totally apart to clean every nook and cranny.
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Pelikan 200 disassembly

If it's had a good enough soak in warm water until any ink runs clear then I would recommend that the best thing to do would be to unscrew the nib unit and soak that again on it's own in some pen flush.

Removing the nib gives you access to the inside of the section and barrel so that you can soak the section end again to ensure all ink has been removed.

Once you have removed the nib unit and the inside of the barrel is clean and dry, you should ensure that the piston is at the top of the barrel and very carefully apply a tiny amount of pure silicone grease around the window part of the barrel. Use a cocktail stick NOT a cotton bud (Q-tip) and be very careful to not get any onto the inside of the section. Only inside and around the barrel window where the piston comes down to.

Trying to take the piston out of the top of the pen isn't a good idea and won't assist in getting the nib unit any cleaner.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 11th, 2020 at 12:06 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Octavius (June 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    Hi folks,
    Is it even possible?
    I've an Amber 200 that was put away wet many years ago.
    A good soak and the piston is now moving but (and I know you will understand) I'd like to take the pen totally apart to clean every nook and cranny.
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers!
    Don't.

The pistons on these are not intended to come out for routine cleaning. It takes a good bit of force to pull them out, even with heat. There are raised rings on the bushing that holds the mechanism, that lock into grooves cut into the barrel wall. It is possible to get it out, but often these rings break off, and then the mechanism will have a tendency to jack out of the barrel if there is the least bit of resistance.

Most likely there is no ink behind the piston seal, so a good wash inside where the ink is contained is enough. If the piston is moving, all that you need is a little silicone grease applied with a cotton swab to the inside barrel wall. Did I say "a little?" ...as in almost to the point where if you can see it, you have too much.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 11th, 2020), Octavius (June 11th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I have 3 Pelikan M400N, 2 Omas and approximately 20 ish Montblanc piston filling pens. Once upon a time, a long time ago, when unscrewing one of the pistons on one of my Montblanc 146 pens, the whole thing came out. It had just been to Montblanc for a service so I wasn't happy! Also, I remember that one of my Omas pens seemed to have a very sticky problem with it's piston once.

Those 2 times are the only times I have ever needed to get a piston out of any of my pens. I always clean my pens pristinely clean without ever needing to remove their pistons.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Octavius (June 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Well, that solves that then!
    Many thanks for posting, all.
    I took the nib out and soaked again and then scrubbed with a Q tip.
    There is only a slight ring of ink where the piston is normally at rest so I think I'll try and forget about that and say to myself that in time it will go away.
    Cheers!