Thread: Is cursive writing dead?

Thanks

Default Is cursive writing dead?

Here is a link to a CBSNews article:

http://cbsn.ws/14D8bTE

I certainly hope cursive writing is not dead. IMHO, it's a shame some kids won't be taught how to write/read cursive in school.
    Last edited by dgator; June 29th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Is cursive writing dead?

All my daughters read cursive. 19, 12 and 6 years old. My 6 year old is still working on writing.

We went to Knott's Berry Farm just a few weeks ago and they have a small presentation in the park that I really enjoyed. It is a small school house that was transplanted to the park from Ohio I think. A retired school teacher gives the story. He explained how cursive was taught and how anyone in the late 1800's that did not know cursive was considered illiterate. How things change.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,025 Posts

I have a friend who teaches English and literary arts in a small college. After some of the assignments, the students were giving her feedback that they couldn't read her comments. She didn't think her handwriting was that poor (it is quite lovely, in fact), and later determined in talking to them that they simply couldn't read cursive.

College students.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I certainly hope it persists in the States; fully cursive handwriting was already on its way out in the UK when I was at school in the 1970s.

We were taught the Marion Richardson style, which is a simplified italic script based on sixteenth century models. Whilst it's legible and even attractive in the right hands, it's also rather laborious to form and doesn't lend itself to rapid flowing writing - a sort of half way house between cursive and print. Since then I believe "joined-up" writing has withered almost entirely in this country.

Thanks

Hi

I know with both my kids, they went through the state education system in the uk, one in the 90's and the other in the early 2000's and neither of them was taught anything other than writing in print.

It's a shame as even a basic grasp of cursive can make the written word quite enjoyable, not only the write but read as well.

Paul

Thanks

I have had letters which were sent to America returned to sender because the post man couldn't read the address I had written in cursive. Over here I think a great majority of the Thais who have a good grasp of English are able to read and write in cursive.
    Hello, my name is Nathan. Pleased to make your aquaintance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ndw76 View Post
    I have had letters which were sent to America returned to sender because the post man couldn't read the address I had written in cursive. Over here I think a great majority of the Thais who have a good grasp of English are able to read and write in cursive.
    The problem comes when they can't read the return address either... I always address letters in versals. Occasionally uncials, when I'm feeling fancy.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

look on the bright side.

when the secret police read your handwritten correspondence they won't even understand any of it.

Thanks

Cursive can be the new code writing for spies.

Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul-H For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (July 1st, 2013)

Thanks

I've met a couple of people who weren't taught/have trouble reading cursive- and I'm in graduate school! I remember learning cursive or "Script" in second grade. From what I hear, they aren't big on teaching it any more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dgator View Post
    Here is a link to a CBSNews article:

http://cbsn.ws/14D8bTE

I certainly hope cursive writing is not dead. IMHO, it's a shame some kids won't be taught how to write/read cursive in school.
    Since the letter referenced in that article was written in cursive, the writing style is obviously not dead. Some individuals whose education was neglected are partially illiterate, however. From the article:

"When asked if she could read a letter in court, witness Rachel Jeantel, her head bowed, murmured with embarrassment, "I don't read cursive," according to court testimony"
    She should have been taught how to read and write in school - both printing and cursive.

"Cursive should be allowed to die. In fact, it's already dying, despite having been taught for decades," Morgan Polikoff, assistant professor of education at the University of Southern California's Rossier School of Education, told The New York Times.
    Given what Ms. Jeantel stated in court, that was not the brightest thing for the professor to claim. She had already proven him wrong. Perhaps views such as his are why some young people receive a sub-par education?

The Zaner-Bloser Products web page features handwriting workbooks for nursery school through eighth grade. There are plenty of high school students and even some young adults who can't read or write cursive. What about them? Self-study workbooks and course material geared for teens and adults would be a most useful addition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Here is another view that is one we would all be more sympathetic with:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...k-to-the-past/
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

I have friends who had to buy their kids ipads as a mandatory school accessory. I'm all for technology and gadets yet, it seems odd to not teach script and writing skills because these are proven brain stimulating practices. We think differently when we write and draw a line across the page.... use different muscles in the hand... My opinion on this( not teaching script), is that it makes for less original and creative thinking and that might not be so good in the long run for society.
    Last edited by Adhizen; July 4th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.