Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Books, Books, Books

Thanks

Default FS: Books, Books, Books

I know this site has quite a number of people who like to read when they aren't using or cleaning their pens.

I'm starting this thread to list and, hopefully, sell some books. I recently moved and no longer have the space I once had to store them. Sadly, I had to throw quite a good number of books away as there was no place open yet to donate them.

I'm also not able to take pictures right now. I'll try to describe the books as best I can and will happily answer any questions sent to me via private message.

I plan to regularly update and add books to this thread.

First batch:

A History of Britain by Simon Schama. 3 Volumes (At the Edge of the World 3500 B.C. - 1603 A.D.; The Wars of the British 1603-1776; The Fate of the Empire 1776-2000), all hardcover with dust jackets. They were published by Talk Miramax Books from 2001 to 2002.

The condition of all three is like new or very close to it. The dust jacket of volume one has a slight tear at the bottom that has been taped. $38 for the three volume set, including shipping in the USA.

Collected Stories by W. Somerset Maugham. Everyman's Library, 2004, hardcover with dj. 839 pages with a sewn in bookmark. Like new. $14 including shipping in the USA.

Wittgenstein's Poker by David Edmonds and John Eidinow. Ecco, hardcover with dj (1st Ed.) 340 pages, like new. $5 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Pontius Pilate by Ann Wroe. Random House, 1999, hardcover with dj, 412 pages, like new. $6 including shipping in the USA Sold.

The Oxford Companion to Philosophy edited by Ted Honderich. Oxford, 1995, hardcover with dj, 1009 pages, like new. $10 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

A lot of two British Library Crime Classics paperbacks: Thirteen Guests by J. Jefferson Farjeon (2015, Poisoned Pen Press, 286 pages) and Death of an Airman by Christopher St. John Sprigg (2015, Poisoned Pen Press, 253 pages). Death of an Airman is like new. Thirteen Guests has some very light shelf wear. $13 including shipping in the USA. Sold.
    Last edited by Zhivago; August 4th, 2020 at 04:41 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: FS: Books, Books, Books

Excellent idea!

'Tis a pity you're in the US, by the time they arrive here in the UK the libraries will have opened up again (I hope). Plus shipping would make it unattractive (for me).

But I'll keep an eye out for this thread - if it becomes popular I'll have a clearout of my shelves and see what I've got that might be of interest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HoarderHoarder For This Useful Post:

Zhivago (June 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Wittgenstein's Poker! Is that the book that has the dialogue: Woman, arriving late to a meeting, "I feel like a puppy that's been run over on a rainy night." Wittgenstein: "How do you know how a puppy that's been run over on a rainy night feels?"

Any more books ... ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kaliuzhkin For This Useful Post:

Zhivago (June 19th, 2020)

Thanks

I don't know, but the quote makes him sound like a bit of a nut.

Yes, I'll be listing more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
    I don't know, but the quote makes him sound like a bit of a nut.

Yes, I'll be listing more.
    To the best of my recollection, the book is about a 10-minute interaction (in Vienna?) with another philosopher during which Wittgenstein may have threatened him with a hot fireplace poker.

Nevertheless, he's considered one of the giants of philosophy. Logical positivism?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kaliuzhkin For This Useful Post:

Zhivago (June 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Lincoln by David Herbert Donald, hc w/dj, Simon & Schuster, 1995, 714 pages, like new, $10 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Churchill A Biography by Roy Jenkins, hc w/ dj, FSG 2001, first edition, 1002 pages, very close to like new with only minor shelf wear and a very small tear at the top spine of the dj, $8 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Collected Stories of Bertolt Brecht, pb, Arcade 1998, 242 pages, like new but for price sticker remnants on front cover and very minor shelf wear, $10 including shipping in the USA.
    Last edited by Zhivago; August 4th, 2020 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaliuzhkin View Post
    Wittgenstein's Poker! Is that the book that has the dialogue: Woman, arriving late to a meeting, "I feel like a puppy that's been run over on a rainy night." Wittgenstein: "How do you know how a puppy that's been run over on a rainy night feels?"

Any more books ... ?
    I didn't see that one. I only got as far as the Thurber and the Maugham before I started calculating whether it would be 'price-efficient' to have them shipped to the UK.
    I have the paperback in a box upstairs somewhere - if I remember correctly it's about a philosophical altercation between Wittgenstein (who was teaching at Cambridge after the war) and Karl Popper, who was visiting. I only bought it at the time to impress a young lady who was studying something along those lines at uni. Apparently the title is a play on, or reference to, Wittgenstein's Rod, which is a whole different internet forum altogether. (SFW though)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoarderHoarder View Post

Apparently the title is a play on, or reference to, Wittgenstein's Rod, which is a whole different internet forum altogether. (SFW though)
    Live and learn. I thought it was a reference to Schroedinger's Cat. Also, I didn't know that Wittgenstein's Poker was a best seller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein%27s_Poker
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittgenstein%27s_rod

Did your lady friend understand Wittgenstein's philosophy? Dropping the name Wittgenstein is a sure way to impress intellectuals. :-)

Thanks

The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw (Foreword by James Salter), pb, Univ. of Chicago Press, 2000, 662 pages, Like New (just some minor shelf wear), $16 including shipping in the USA.

O Lost (A Story of the Buried Life) by Thomas Wolfe (text established by Arlyn and Matthew J. Bruccoli), hc w/ dj, Univ. of South Carolina Press, 2000, 694 pages, Like New, $75 including shipping in the USA.

Thanks

The Death of Stalin (graphic novel) by Fabien Nury and Thierry Robin, hc, Titan Comics, July 2017 (First Ed.), 119 pages, like new with only very minor shelf wear, $12 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

The 20th Century Art Book by the Editors of Phaidon Press (an over-sized coffee table book: 11 and 3/4 inches by 10 and 1/4 inches by 2 inches), hc w/ dj, Phaidon, 1996, 512 pages, like new, $26 including shipping the USA. Sold.
    Last edited by Zhivago; August 4th, 2020 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks

A Fan's Notes by Frederick Exley, hc w/ dj, Modern Library, 1997, 425 pages, like new, $25 including shipping in the USA

A Jacques Barzun Reader (Selections from his Works), ed. by Michael Murray, hc w/ dj, Harper Collins, 2002, First Ed., 615 pages, like new, $10 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Interplay: A Kind of Commonplace Book by D.J. Enright, hc w/ dj, Oxford, 1995, 237 pages, like new, $13 including shipping in the USA. Sold.
    Last edited by Zhivago; August 4th, 2020 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks

Bradbury Stories (100 of Bradbury's Most Celebrated Tales) by Ray Bradbury, hc w/ dj, Morrow, 2003, First Ed., 893 pages, like new, $40 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Scoop by Evelyn Waugh, hc w/ dj, Little, Brown, 2012, 275 pages, like new, $16 including shipping in the USA

A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh, hc w/ dj, Little, Brown, 2012, 273 pages, like new, $25 including shipping in the USA
    Last edited by Zhivago; July 19th, 2020 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks

Lives of the Poets by Michael Schmidt, hc w/ dj, Knopf, 1998, First American Ed., 975 pages, like new, $12 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (translated by Constance Garnett), hc w/ dj, Modern Library, 1993, 927 pages, like new, $20 including shipping in the USA
    Last edited by Zhivago; August 4th, 2020 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks

The Meaning of Shakespeare Volumes 1 and 2 by Harold C. Goddard, pbs, Univ. of Chicago Press, 1960, 394 and 300 pages, like new but for some very minor shelf wear, $40 for the set including shipping in the USA.

Thanks

[QUOTE=kaliuzhkin;293993]
    Quote Originally Posted by HoarderHoarder View Post

Did your lady friend understand Wittgenstein's philosophy? Dropping the name Wittgenstein is a sure way to impress intellectuals. :-)
    The fact that I still have the book tells of the success of my courtship.

Thanks

All, just receive two orders from Zhivago, the books were better than described. This is a good seller offering great books at great prices.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to heraclitus682 For This Useful Post:

Zhivago (July 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Then I’ll chime in as well. I also bought two volumes, two great reads in excellent condition that arrived at warp speed and well-packed to protect the contents. Now I check often for more titles.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

22. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Zhivago (July 4th, 2020)

Thanks

A big thanks to both VertOlive and heraclitus682. I've had a number of transactions with both and they have all been wonderful.

D-Day, June 6 1944: The Climatic Battle of WW II by Stephen E. Ambrose, hc w/ dj, Simon & Shuster, 1994, 655 pages, like new, $12 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner, hc w/ dj, Modern Library, 2000, 632 pages, like new, $40 including shipping in the USA. This novel was voted by the Modern Library as one of the 100 best of the 20th Century.

Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, hcs w/ djs and in a slipcase, Harper Collins, 2001, 227 and 209 pages, like new, $30 for the set including shipping in the USA. The Screwtape Letters includes Screwtape Proposes a Toast.
    Last edited by Zhivago; August 4th, 2020 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks

I also have a surfeit of classical music compact discs. As they tend to be worth even less than books, I'll be including one gratis with each book mailing from now on.

My choice. Want Beethoven's 5th? Too bad; you'll take Rimsky-Korsakov and you'll like it.

Thanks

The Savage God: A Study of Suicide by A. Alvarez, pb, Norton, 1990, 320 pages, like new but for some very minor shelf wear, $14 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Night by A. Alvarez, pb, Norton, 1996, 290 pages, like new, $12 including shipping in the USA. Sold.

Compulsion, A Novel by Meyer Levin, pb, Fig Tree Books, 2014, 456 pages, like new, $11 including shipping in the USA. Compulsion is a novel on the infamous Leopold and Loeb. Sold.

Pafko at the Wall, A Novella by Don DeLillo, hc w/ dj, Scribner, 1997, 90 pages, like new, $16 including shipping in the USA.
    Last edited by Zhivago; August 4th, 2020 at 04:47 PM.