Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerry Berg strikes again!

Thanks

Default Gerry Berg strikes again!

I got twitchy early in the lockdown here and started corresponding with Gerry. Two months later, post arrived!

A 1936-37 Sheaffer Balance "Premier", in stunning condition. Barrel clarity is amazing, the nib is a classic Sheaffer firm fine, and--as you would expect--the vacuum filing system has that trademark Berg suction.

It's not often that a pen arrives that actually surpasses all expectations: this one does. The way it looks, fits in the hand, writes. It is just about perfect.

If only I could take a decent photo...

os-balance.jpg
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (June 16th, 2020), amk (June 17th, 2020), Chuck Naill (June 15th, 2020), fountainpagan (June 16th, 2020), Frank (July 2nd, 2020), FredRydr (June 14th, 2020), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (June 14th, 2020), Jon Szanto (June 14th, 2020), Robert (June 15th, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (June 15th, 2020), welch (June 16th, 2020)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Gerry Berg strikes again!

very nice. congrats!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

silverlifter (June 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Nice! I bought one and had one repaired by Gerry. Top bloke. Unfortunately Sheaffer's pens are not really made for my hand size, so don't get the use they really deserve.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    I got twitchy early in the lockdown here and started corresponding with Gerry. Two months later, post arrived!

A 1936-37 Sheaffer Balance "Premier", in stunning condition. Barrel clarity is amazing, the nib is a classic Sheaffer firm fine, and--as you would expect--the vacuum filing system has that trademark Berg suction.

It's not often that a pen arrives that actually surpasses all expectations: this one does. The way it looks, fits in the hand, writes. It is just about perfect.

That's a very nice looking pen. I often look at that type of Sheaffer on ebay as they are nicely chunky, but I've never been tempted to buy one as I'm not sure I could fix it if it wasn't working.

There is nothing wrong with that picture.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (June 15th, 2020), silverlifter (June 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Nice! I bought one and had one repaired by Gerry. Top bloke. Unfortunately Sheaffer's pens are not really made for my hand size, so don't get the use they really deserve.
    That's why I was keen on the oversized model. It is a lot girthier than most vintage pens and, in larger hands like mine, really feels terrific. I'm a little sad that my Valiant II and Defender will likely be drawer bound now...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

That's a very nice looking pen. I often look at that type of Sheaffer on ebay as they are nicely chunky, but I've never been tempted to buy one as I'm not sure I could fix it if it wasn't working.

There is nothing wrong with that picture.
    I'm hoping that with some TLC, it will continue to work well long after my daughter has inherited it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

That's why I was keen on the oversized model. It is a lot girthier than most vintage pens and, in larger hands like mine, really feels terrific. I'm a little sad that my Valiant II and Defender will likely be drawer bound now...
    Exactly my experience. I still have quite a few non-OS Balances that will always be my friends, usually by virtue of some special aspect of the pen, but they tend to be used for special projects or occasions. The OS models, however, are absolute go-to's and there is always at least one in the rotation. Pretty close to the most perfect fit and weight for me in pendom, and I now have a stable with differing nibs that I can use whichever is most appropriate. Congratulations on both a wonderful pen and an impeccable source for it.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 15th, 2020), silverlifter (June 15th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I've not seen/held an oversize model, but unless the length (nib tip to barrel end) is longer than 13.5cm it won't fit my hand comfortably. So, what size is an OS? (medical slip not intended)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Exactly my experience. I still have quite a few non-OS Balances that will always be my friends, usually by virtue of some special aspect of the pen, but they tend to be used for special projects or occasions. The OS models, however, are absolute go-to's and there is always at least one in the rotation. Pretty close to the most perfect fit and weight for me in pendom, and I now have a stable with differing nibs that I can use whichever is most appropriate. Congratulations on both a wonderful pen and an impeccable source for it.
    You know, Jon, for a moment there, before reading your post, I was basking in the contented glow of the "last pen I'll need"-type delusion...

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I've not seen/held an oversize model, but unless the length (nib tip to barrel end) is longer than 13.5cm it won't fit my hand comfortably. So, what size is an OS? (medical slip not intended)
    It's about 12.5cm nib to end, 16.5cm posted. And close to the same girth as the PFM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (June 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Sorry, but who is Gerry Berg?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Sorry, but who is Gerry Berg?
    Gerry Berg is a Sheaffer master craftsman/repair person who made a one step piston filler.
    There are various threads on FPG about him if you do a search, but here's one that I found that will give you more information about him.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Gerry is a great guy. He did some work for me a few years back. Turns out he was my sister-in-law's teacher at uni. I ended up meeting up with him that summer at his house for coffee and pen talk. Super humble guy with a lot of cool projects going.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That's a beauty of a pen! I like my balances (none this nice by any stretch).

22. The Following User Says Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Gerry is a great help when it comes to the vac fillers. He and Ron Zorn provided me with some helpful advice in learning to repair vac fillers for myself. Pentooling was my source of tools. I especially like the 1930s-era vac fill Balances with open nibs (Feathertouch or Lifetime - both are great).

Thanks

os-balance.jpg
    That is a beauty of a pen! I was just given my dad's Sheaffer set last week and sent the pen to Gerry to be repaired. I cannot wait to get it back

25. The Following User Says Thank You to tscweaves For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This is to give Silverlifter a little nudge in the direction of another Sheaffer OS. These are early Sheaffer Oversize pens, three Flattops, 5 Balances. Age ranges from the early 1920s to the later 1930s, left-to-right. The Sheaffer nibs from these pens and era are pretty much my favorites of all time, each has a little different character, all pretty much nails but slightly different widths and profile of the tip.

There are two anomalies and one or two interesting points, if people want to play pen history/restoration. Enjoy!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Frank (July 2nd, 2020), silverlifter (June 16th, 2020)

Thanks

That's one hell of a cigar box you have there!

No vac-fillers? Is that a preference or just the way pen fate played oput?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 16th, 2020)

Thanks

This is to give Silverlifter a little nudge in the direction of another Sheaffer OS. These are early Sheaffer Oversize pens, three Flattops, 5 Balances. Age ranges from the early 1920s to the later 1930s, left-to-right. The Sheaffer nibs from these pens and era are pretty much my favorites of all time, each has a little different character, all pretty much nails but slightly different widths and profile of the tip.
    Ha. I only keep ‘em if they aren’t nails or if they’re stubs — which is why i only have one OS Balance.

Thanks

No vac-fillers? Is that a preference or just the way pen fate played oput?
    I just prefer the lever for these pens, not sure why. This has been a very slow gathering, 6-7 years. Maybe I’ll get an OS plunger in one of the other colors.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Ha. I only keep ‘em if they aren’t nails or if they’re stubs — which is why i only have one OS Balance.
    Ah, but there is something about a Sheaffer nail that is unlike any other unyielding nib; and whatever it is, I love it!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 16th, 2020)