Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why high end Ballpoint Pens? (Or Rollerball or Pencil or Ball Pen?)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,239 Times in 1,173 Posts

Default Re: Why high end Ballpoint Pens? (Or Rollerball or Pencil or Ball Pen?)

Quote Originally Posted by kaliuzhkin View Post
    But what is the appeal of high end Ballpoint, Ball, Rollerball pens or Pencils? I could spend over $300 for a new Pelikan Souveran 800 or 805 Ball Pen or Rollerball, and thousands for Montblancs.

The only appeal I can see is that one of these and a suitable model fountain pen forms a set. But that doesn't seem sufficient to warrant these high prices.

Please enlighten me.
    The appeal is the same whether it's fountain pen or rollerball or ballpoint.

Example, if I'm a Queen fan (which I am), and if I have enough pen-fund to pay whatever Montegrappa is selling the "A Night at the Opera" for (which I don't), then I will buy the fountain pen or the rollerball (or both) because primarily of the Queen connection. Whether it's the fountain pen or the roller-ball, is secondary preference.

I personally would (of course) prefer the fountain pen, but others may prefer the rollerball.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

welch (June 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

Example, if I'm a Queen fan (which I am), and if I have enough pen-fund to pay whatever Montegrappa is selling the "A Night at the Opera" for (which I don't), then I will buy the fountain pen or the rollerball (or both) because primarily of the Queen connection. Whether it's the fountain pen or the roller-ball, is secondary preference.

I personally would (of course) prefer the fountain pen, but others may prefer the rollerball.
    But there's no ballpoint model!

Anyway, whether you want a FP or Rollerball, you'd better hurry. They only made 555 of each!

Thanks

Anyway, whether you want a FP or Rollerball, you'd better hurry. They only made 555 of each!
    There is the rollerball model, and you didn't single out ballpoint in your question, did you?

So my point stands
    - Will

Thanks

There is the rollerball model, and you didn't single out ballpoint in your question, did you?

So my point stands
    Touche

And, the FP and Rollerball are each over $4,200.00 at Fountain Pen Hospital.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    During my life I have had little collections of ballpoints, pencils and fountain pens of various kinds. I had them because they interested me and generally I liked using them. I had a bunch of Lindy stick ballpoints, then Parker Jotters, Parker 51 ballpoints, and over the last forty or so years a few Montblanc, Pelikan, Parker, Sheaffer, Cross and other ballpoints. Some I used in college. Some I used in the Air Force. Some I used in an IT career. Some I found too thin, but a couple of Montblanc 164s in red and black had more comfortable girth, and these two I used from 1983 on. Very comfortable to use.

I liked Pelikan K200 and K400s for their girth and the use of jotter type refills. Available in broad. Used them in the grocery store to check off the list items. After losing one I started using Papermates for this. Never risked the MB 164s in stores. Actually they were sentimental.

For those who ridicule expensive ballpoints like Montblancs, the use of them might make no sense to you, but the use of them might have deep meaning to their owners. Every time I pick up the red or black Montblanc I am reminded of times in my IT career. They will probably be in my estate sale.
    I got a Montblanc Meisterstuck ballpoint in 2000, when I'd been recruited to another company that offered a big raise. Used it there all through my first (computer) system, a back-breaking $200 million thing that sometimes had as many as 500 people working in two twelve hour shifts. I still have it... in fact, it is sitting just by my left hand. It has plenty of nicks, but I alternate it with a stainless-steel Parker Frontier. A broad blue MB refill and broad blue or blue-black Monteverde refill for the Frontier. They will probably go to the grandchildren, rather than to an estate sale.

The MB was about $75 or $90. The Frontier was about $25.

Thanks

I love those Parker 75s. Darn, FredRydr, you're a wretched enabler!!!!

Thanks

Newb here, but I have to agree with the overall sentiment. Sometimes that cost goes into the purchase of a historical perspective, or a relationship to an event or object that one is fond of. Sometimes, it's purely aesthetic. It's no different than knife collectors, or guitar collectors...the list goes on. Value is highly subjective, and is thus, not universally interpreted.

In my stable, I'd have to sell several decent pens to acquire a single upper-hundreds of dollars, pen. That's simply not a balance that works for me. I'd rather keep a small stable of $200 pens, which remain in a rotation, than a single one which I'm fearful of dropping.

If expense were no option, there are several custom pieces that I would acquire, immediately.

Thanks

I suppose one of the things that's relevant here is how much of what we pay for a FP is the nib, and how much is the rest? For instance, the Pelikan m400 breaks down as about 43% nib, 57% pen, based on the price of the available spare nibs.

Thanks

Some of us use pens for work

Have you ever handed an expensive fountain pen to someone to sign a contract with

Most look at like you handed them a dip pen

Having a matching set allows you to enjoy your fountain pen and still hand a pen to a client to sign something

Thanks

I figure what someone else wants to write with is none of my business.

I do have a Montblanc rollerball however...

Thanks

When I bought my first Montblanc fountain pen (a 144 Classique) at the Navy Exchange in 1992, I also bought a Montblanc rollerball so I would have a pen that would take the pressure required for carbon paper and carbon-less copy paper. And it made sense to me to have a matching set.
    Bob

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

My "high-end" ball point is Parker Jotter XL. The only other thing I use to write with, mainly checks, or when I need pressure for multiple copies, etc. Really nice pen.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    When I bought my first Montblanc fountain pen (a 144 Classique) at the Navy Exchange in 1992, I also bought a Montblanc rollerball so I would have a pen that would take the pressure required for carbon paper and carbon-less copy paper. And it made sense to me to have a matching set.
    Wow, a blast from the (same) past.

When I did my compulsory military service in the Royal Dutch Navy, I visited the Navy Exchange in Naples, Italy in the spring of 1992. Desperately short on cash at the time, I only allowed myself to buy one cd...Smells Like Teen Spirit from Nirvana...got my money’s worth though, I new the album by heart before the trip was over.

Thanks

I get my "high-end" rollerball every year when I meet our accountant. He always give one each to both my wife and I.

And I kid you not, those rollerballs are the sturdy and reliable kind.
    - Will

Thanks

There are some collectors out there that like "Sets"- FP/BP, or FP/RB aside from FP/MP

I have collected pens most of my life, but only got into FPs around 2005.
    My Dad always collected BP and RB pens only, so I did not have guidance on them till I discovered "The Community".
    In fact, when I got into FPs- I started looking for FP variants of some of the BP/RB Pens that I liked/decided to keep!

Frank
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !