Thread: Storage Unit find

Thanks

Default Storage Unit find

So I found a pen in a storage unit. I'm sure its nothing special seems to be made out of plastic BUT it starts an itch...is this still usable? Its just a playic cap. What the uninitiated of us would call the head and a hollow base.. Do I just put ink in the bottom half? If not what are some good beginner fountain pens for someone who wants to play around before adding another expensive hobby. This pen has an M on the lid and similar circled "M" on the nib under that it says England so I am assuming thats its origin. Any help is appreciated. I'm gonna try to figure out how to attach a picture. Thanks for helping a newb!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jojbond007; June 17th, 2020 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

Default Re: Storage Unit find

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Please do not “ just put ink in the bottom half” btw the bottom half is called the barrel

Start here:

https://youtu.be/bHdgxVlPb0E

Watch the entire “fountain pens 101” series from Goulet pens. It’s a great start

You’ll need some cartridges. Probably international standard ones. You can usually get them at Staples

Thanks
    Thanked 10,466 Times in 4,006 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Please do not “ just put ink in the bottom half” btw the bottom half is called the barrel
    You’ll need some cartridges. Probably international standard ones. You can usually get them at Staples
    I'm so relieved to see that someone said this.
    I've never seen Goulet Pens "fountain pens 101" series and will have a look at that soon.

OP the small end of the cartridge pushes down into what is called the "section" part with the nib on the end, so that the little piercer inside there pushes a hole into the plastic and allows ink to flow to the nib.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 17th, 2020 at 11:44 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (June 18th, 2020)

Thanks

That's looks like a nice italic nib you have there! so if you haven't done calligraphy before, you'll want to play around with drawing noughts and crosses, and making squiggly lines, to see how it gives you a variation between thick downwards and thin horizontal lines.

And before you use the pen, just flush the nib unit with a little water mixed with a drop of washing up liquid. You can put the nib section in a glass of the soapy water, or you can use a basting bulb to squirt the water through. That stops inks sticking to the sides and ensures you get a good flow. There's nothing as frustrating as a pen that doesn't want to let the ink out!