Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More nib uncertainty

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default More nib uncertainty

Thinking about having a little splurge on a pen... but not sure about a nib size. Thing is, I don't have any difficulty writing with any kind of nib, and no particular type stands clearly above the others. I suppose I can narrow it down to fine/extra fine, italic (incl. cursive) or an expressive stub. Note, I am going full on BP for work as FPs are too impractical for my workday needs.

I may be singularly self-unaware about how I write (among many other areas in life no doubt). Reading about those of you who have given very specific instructions to a nib fiddler, how do you know what to ask for? Whenever I try to really concentrate on what I am doing with the pen in my hand, it subtly alters how I am writing, i.e. it begins to feel less natural and more forced.

Pen is probably about 40 degrees up from page, hand is not rotated, and I don't use any pressure unless flexing (the nib, not my puny muscles!). Other than that I go nothing.

How does any of this relate - if at all - to something like ink flow (wetness/dryness)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

Default Re: More nib uncertainty

I am curious... Why is it that "FPs are too impractical for my workday needs"?

Thanks

Oh, I use a Hobonichi as a planner, and while I love the Tomoe River paper, ink on it dries far too slowly. My planner gets opened and shut multiple times a day, so the ink that hasn't dried gets transferred to the opposite page. A different paper may solve this issue I guess, but I also find the FPs a distraction from my work.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; August 10th, 2020 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 795 Posts

I recognize that the choice of a writing instrument is a highly subjective and personal matter. So when you say that you consider fountain pens are a distraction from your work, neither I nor anybody else should comment on the matter.

That said, the technical problem of ink that dries too slowly is easily solved by using a dry ink and/or a pen with a EF/F nib. For this reason I usually carry two fountain pens: one of them has to have a EF/F nib and a quick drying ink such as Pelikan 4001 or Parker Quink. I have found that a Parker 51 is perfect for this purpose.

As a side note I have been recently introduced to the quaint world of blotters by the very knowledgeable Len Provisor. I find that a sheet of blotter paper not only absorbs ink that hasn't dried but also serves as a page marker in my notebook.

Thanks

I have truly enjoyed learning about vintage pens and using them for any purpose. I find that if I write just like I take notes, I am more relaxed and my handwriting is better. I can't say that one nib is better than the other since I enjoy them all.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

Sometimes a nice ballpoint (they exist) is the best solution. That said, a cut-down sheet of cartridge paper from an old sketchpad serves as blotter and bookmark in my Hobonichi and mostly solves the problem of drying and smearing.

Re nib choice — like you, I can adapt to most nibs. Issues around balance, weight, effort are more salient in a work context. Generally, how well the pen 'disappears' in hand so I can focus on what I write, not how.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    I recognize that the choice of a writing instrument is a highly subjective and personal matter. So when you say that you consider fountain pens are a distraction from your work, neither I nor anybody else should comment on the matter.

That said, the technical problem of ink that dries too slowly is easily solved by using a dry ink and/or a pen with a EF/F nib. For this reason I usually carry two fountain pens: one of them has to have a EF/F nib and a quick drying ink such as Pelikan 4001 or Parker Quink. I have found that a Parker 51 is perfect for this purpose.

As a side note I have been recently introduced to the quaint world of blotters by the very knowledgeable Len Provisor. I find that a sheet of blotter paper not only absorbs ink that hasn't dried but also serves as a page marker in my notebook.
    I'll second that. For the technical issues, there are also inks like Noodler's Bernanke Black, Bernanke Blue, and Bernanke Red. They are designed to be quick-drying, for left-handed writers, for example.

Thanks

I use a Hobonichi planner, too & i don’t have a problem with ink smudging unless i do something stupid and make an entry with one of my vintage BB nibs. I usually use an xf Sailor to make entries. I don’t worry about the ink, but an iron gall ink would be quick to dry.

That said, i agree with carlos.q that you gotta leave people in peace when it comes to how they work.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,362 Times in 3,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    I use a Hobonichi planner, too & i don’t have a problem with ink smudging unless i do something stupid and make an entry with one of my vintage BB nibs. I usually use an xf Sailor to make entries. I don’t worry about the ink, but an iron gall ink would be quick to dry.

That said, i agree with carlos.q that you gotta leave people in peace when it comes to how they work.
    I use a Hobonichi Techo Planner and they always come with their information page of white blotting paper that I just move into the page I've written on before I close it. Same with my Seven Seas Writer Journal.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 11th, 2020 at 02:24 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I suppose there are two facets to the minor issue I have here: the smearing, even using a Japanes fine nib (with Tsuki yo), and yes I do sometimes find myself thinking about the pen instead of just writing with it - almost as if I can't believe I'm using an FP in this day and age!

There is a piece of genuine blotting paper in there - I have some big sheets at home - but it adds an extra layer of hassle for me.

With the relegation of the Hobo to scheduling only, a 4-colour multipen will be much more convenient. My work can get quite complex as I am often employed in different roles on a wide variety of research projects at the same time. To this end I've switched to A4 hardback notebooks to keep a track of everything. The paper in these (provided by work) books is not that great - will have to do more tests for FP worthiness - so I will use them (with BPs) until the end of the year before deciding if I want to foot the bill myself for versions with better paper.

Anyway, that gets away from the OP which is more a decision about nb widths in general. True, this is personal preference, but I don't seem to have one. Given that nib fiddlers are out of range in general that means I have to buy off the shelf. To avoid wasting money requires a bit of care.

It's not a major deal I suppose. If all my pens had the same nib then I wouldn't have all these pens! Just the one, maybe two for markup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Oh, I use a Hobonichi as a planner, and while I love the Tomoe River paper, ink on it dries far too slowly. My planner gets opened and shut multiple times a day, so the ink that hasn't dried gets transferred to the opposite page. A different paper may solve this issue I guess, but I also find the FPs a distraction from my work.
    As a suggestion, try a Filofax planner -- or at least some of their paper. They use quality paper that usually ink-dries quickly, and not prone to bleeding.

Note -- my Filofax personal planner is 20 plus years old. I've used it everyday since I got it. So, I've had a wee bit of experience with their paper and fountain pens and ink.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 10th, 2020)

Thanks

For me, Midori planner works best.

Thanks

I just use iron galls in all my pens. My work notebook is a combination of Tomoe River and Midori paper, and I have no smearing issues.

Bonus: IG inks are also the best performers on shitty work paper: from post its to the copy machine reams.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (August 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Seconded. The only ink I found that matches IGs on crappy paper is Montblanc Permanent Blue.

Thanks

I may try an IG ink. There are a couple on the shelf - KWZI IG Gummiberry and ESSRI. So at least there are a couple of colours. The remainder of this year is going to be somewhat experimental it seems!

In terms of fine nibs the finest is either the 823 fine or a Jowo extra fine. A posting nib beckoned for a while, though not strongly enough to make me splash the cash. Anyway, will see how it goes.

Thanks

If you'd like samples of some other IGs to try, hit me up. With postage outside the whenua what it is, I'd be happy to help out.

Thanks

Tēnā rawa atu koe

Let me try the ones I have first, and perhaps I can take advantage of your offer after?

If you are in Auckland though, it would have to wait until the current flare up is under control in any case.

Thanks

I'm in Pōneke, so whenever it suits PM me.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (August 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Mr. Pen, Fine nib, Noodler's Legal Lapis Ink, is incredibly reliable. No slow starts; great ink.
    I always have a blotter close by; however, blotting paper is a great idea and good bookmark.
    Kind regards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post

I'll second that. For the technical issues, there are also inks like Noodler's Bernanke Black, Bernanke Blue, and Bernanke Red. They are designed to be quick-drying, for left-handed writers, for example.
    Noodler's Legal Lapis Ink (proprietary to Pendemonium) is bullet proof, distinctly colored, and reasonably quick drying.