Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some good news stories please!

Thanks

Default Some good news stories please!

Any chance of sharing some good news stories? Something positive and uplifting perhaps.

Thanks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (June 19th, 2020), VertOlive (June 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Some good news stories please!

Sadly not much since my happy "very large eggs" story. However, I've received two very nice pens and two very nice ink samples from friends in the US, and I'm back to full letter writing activities again. I also bought a nice Parker 45 pen with R (right oblique) nib on ebay and am currently loving writing with it.

The weather might be improving by the weekend, but we'll have to wait and see.

I finished reading The Hobbit and all three Lord of the Rings books and enjoyed them all immensely.

I almost forgot to mention my little hedgehog making her nest from my bamboo leaves. Saw Deb's post and remembered that was also good news
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 19th, 2020 at 07:46 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Fermata (June 19th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (June 19th, 2020)

Thanks

A right oblique is a nice find, I rotate a pen to the left so I am not sure how that would work, perhaps one would cancel the other.

I was looking through my books the other day and found a Tale of Beatrix Potter which was her biography, I must have bought it around 20 years ago and just never got around to reading it. I opened it and there is a hand written letter from Beatrix Potter to her nephew, a nice find.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    A right oblique is a nice find, I rotate a pen to the left so I am not sure how that would work, perhaps one would cancel the other.

I was looking through my books the other day and found a Tale of Beatrix Potter which was her biography, I must have bought it around 20 years ago and just never got around to reading it. I opened it and there is a hand written letter from Beatrix Potter to her nephew, a nice find.
    I think the slant would go the wrong way and the R nib might not be a comfortable writing experience.
    The Tale of Beatrix Potter with a hand written letter inside it is a very nice find indeed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I spotted a bat near our badminton hall last Sunday. It was dark of course, but the flight characteristic of small bats is highly distinctive.

Now, that may not sound terribly exciting to a lot of people I suppose. However, when I got home I checked online for the habitats of New Zealand bats. Turns out there are only two species. One, the short-tailed bat, lives mainly in forests and mostly forages in the undergrowth. Apparently they are adapt at moving on the ground. The other, the long-tailed bat, is more widely distributed though not all that common.

It also turns out that sightings in our city are extremely rare, so I thought I should report it to someone. In the museum across the green from where I work there is a lady who is a bat expert - a chiropterologist (I learned a new word that day!) - and she got very excited as the last known report was more than 30 years ago.

The next day we agreed to meet at the location of the sighting, and she brought along a bat detector - as I understand it the detector can pick up the echo location sounds the bats use for moving around in the dark. Unfortunately it started raining just before dusk, and bats don't fly in the rain, so we didn't get a chance to do any detecting.

I actually felt a bit guilty about making her come out in the rain for nothing, especially as there was only my eyewitness account as anecdotal evidence, but she remained super enthusiastic. The upshot of this is that we are going to wait until Spring and come back and install some monitors in the area.

So, it was a touch disappointing on the night, but the hope remains high that we may have an actual bat in the city to report (and I didn't even have to point a searchlight at the sky). If we can prove it's there we may get in the papers, which is always a bit of fun.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't have a particular interest in bats. Throughout my now 17 year stay in this country I have not seen one anywhere. The expert's enthusiasm was infectious, so I will be following it up, and in the Spring my wife and I have been invited to view the bats at a known colony further south of the city. This will be a big deal for my wife as she has never seen a bat, and in Chinese mythology the bat is a symbol of luck. I, on the other hand, have lived alongside bats most of my life in the UK, but I am still thrilled by the opportunity.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; June 19th, 2020 at 05:42 AM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (June 19th, 2020), Deb (June 19th, 2020), Fermata (June 19th, 2020), Ole Juul (July 19th, 2020), VertOlive (June 24th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Our cat was sitting in the window peering out at something late last night. I looked out and saw a little shadow trundling around below one of the bird feeders. It was more than half dark and it took a moment to realise that it was a hedgehog.

Sorry about the quality of the photo but I didn't want to use flash and startle the creature. It snuffled around, probably picking up spilled seeds, then headed down to the far end of the garden where there's another bird feeder. For all I know it may be a regular visitor. I rarely look out after dark.

Coincidentally today a friend told me he saw a badger crossing the road in daylight about 40 miles south of here. I didn't know that badgers lived this far north. I've never seen one.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 19th, 2020), Fermata (June 19th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (June 20th, 2020), Scrawler (June 24th, 2020), Stands on Feet (August 11th, 2020), VertOlive (June 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Our cat was sitting in the window peering out at something late last night. I looked out and saw a little shadow trundling around below one of the bird feeders. It was more than half dark and it took a moment to realise that it was a hedgehog.
    Sorry about the quality of the photo but I didn't want to use flash and startle the creature. It snuffled around, probably picking up spilled seeds, then headed down to the far end of the garden where there's another bird feeder. For all I know it may be a regular visitor. I rarely look out after dark.

Coincidentally today a friend told me he saw a badger crossing the road in daylight about 40 miles south of here. I didn't know that badgers lived this far north. I've never seen one.
    Neat. That looks like quite a big hedgehog.

Thanks

What with Beatrix Potter, hedgehogs, bats and chickens eggs I can see a theme developing here.

And on Deb's badger sighting it is good to see that they are moving north, mankind has been viciously cruel to badgers in the past and continues to be cruel in chinese badger farms for the production of shaving and make up brushes. If badgers can find refuge in the north of Scotland then that is very good news.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    What with Beatrix Potter, hedgehogs, bats and chickens eggs I can see a theme developing here.

And on Deb's badger sighting it is good to see that they are moving north, mankind has been viciously cruel to badgers in the past and continues to be cruel in chinese badger farms for the production of shaving and make up brushes. If badgers can find refuge in the north of Scotland then that is very good news.
    I'm not sure I would like to see a badger in my garden, but I see bats whizzing around every night when I'm looking out to see if my hedgehog is around. Only a couple of nights ago I saw one zoom up into the air and pluck a flying insect that rose just above my largest tree.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Fermata (June 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

You guys are batty.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

Some friends have a family of badgers that come to the house each evening, they are given tinned cat food and in return the badgers find slugs and snails, they are almost fed by hand, and certainly expect to be fed!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 23rd, 2020)

Jasso

I have a good news. My dog was cured. She had big liver problems. I thought this was the end, but everything worked out and now I am calm. It helped me solve the problem of Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Sweet Potato & Venison Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
    Last edited by Jasso; July 3rd, 2020 at 10:33 AM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jasso For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 23rd, 2020), Hawker800 (June 24th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (June 24th, 2020), VertOlive (June 24th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasso View Post
    I have a good news. My dog was cured. She had big liver problems. I thought this was the end, but everything worked out and now I am calm.
    That's good news indeed!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (June 24th, 2020)

Thanks

Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 25th, 2020), VertOlive (June 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I received some pictures and videos of my growing Scottie puppy from the breeder last night. Still haven't decided on a name, but here he is at @ 6 weeks of age:

Last edited by VertOlive; July 18th, 2020 at 07:14 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 25th, 2020), Chrissy (June 25th, 2020), Deb (June 25th, 2020), Kaputnik (June 28th, 2020), Lady Onogaro (July 18th, 2020), manoeuver (July 19th, 2020), Robert (June 25th, 2020), silverlifter (June 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Time for an update. The whole litter had its portraits taken today. Here is my Wee Scott at 8 weeks of age:

***THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE***

"Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

azkid (July 24th, 2020), Chrissy (July 18th, 2020), Deb (July 19th, 2020), Kaputnik (July 19th, 2020), manoeuver (July 19th, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (July 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Time for an update. The whole litter had its portraits taken today. Here is my Wee Scott at 8 weeks of age:

***THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE***

He's adorable!
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (July 18th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I spotted a bat near our badminton hall last Sunday. It was dark of course, but the flight characteristic of small bats is highly distinctive.

Now, that may not sound terribly exciting to a lot of people I suppose. However, when I got home I checked online for the habitats of New Zealand bats. Turns out there are only two species. One, the short-tailed bat, lives mainly in forests and mostly forages in the undergrowth. Apparently they are adapt at moving on the ground. The other, the long-tailed bat, is more widely distributed though not all that common.

It also turns out that sightings in our city are extremely rare, so I thought I should report it to someone. In the museum across the green from where I work there is a lady who is a bat expert - a chiropterologist (I learned a new word that day!) - and she got very excited as the last known report was more than 30 years ago.

The next day we agreed to meet at the location of the sighting, and she brought along a bat detector - as I understand it the detector can pick up the echo location sounds the bats use for moving around in the dark. Unfortunately it started raining just before dusk, and bats don't fly in the rain, so we didn't get a chance to do any detecting.

I actually felt a bit guilty about making her come out in the rain for nothing, especially as there was only my eyewitness account as anecdotal evidence, but she remained super enthusiastic. The upshot of this is that we are going to wait until Spring and come back and install some monitors in the area.

So, it was a touch disappointing on the night, but the hope remains high that we may have an actual bat in the city to report (and I didn't even have to point a searchlight at the sky). If we can prove it's there we may get in the papers, which is always a bit of fun.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't have a particular interest in bats. Throughout my now 17 year stay in this country I have not seen one anywhere. The expert's enthusiasm was infectious, so I will be following it up, and in the Spring my wife and I have been invited to view the bats at a known colony further south of the city. This will be a big deal for my wife as she has never seen a bat, and in Chinese mythology the bat is a symbol of luck. I, on the other hand, have lived alongside bats most of my life in the UK, but I am still thrilled by the opportunity.
    Hi,

good news about bats here, too.
    Last month I saw some of them flying at 4.40am into our roof.
    I told one of our local natur societies (BUND Germany) about it, they came by to take a look (and take some ultrasonic records), and we found about six bats sitting at the very top under the roof.

Cool to live with them... yes, luck :-)

Best
    Jens
    Last edited by SchaumburgSwan; July 18th, 2020 at 11:51 PM.
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SchaumburgSwan For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (July 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

The daily parrot flights are a morning and evening cacophony around the valley but the other day my sister had an unexpected visitor. He is polite and latter flew off to join the native parrots when the flock was returning for the nightly gabfest. She named him Conway Tweety. We also have flocks of Green Parakeets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jar; July 19th, 2020 at 06:18 AM.

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 19th, 2020), Deb (July 19th, 2020), Kaputnik (July 19th, 2020), Ole Juul (July 19th, 2020), VertOlive (July 19th, 2020), Wile E Coyote (July 19th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Our four and a half billion year streak of having our sun not go nova continues. That's pretty good news.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (July 19th, 2020), Wile E Coyote (July 19th, 2020)