Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ventured here from r/fountainpens!

Thanks

Default Ventured here from r/fountainpens!

Hi Folks,

Though not entirely new to the world of pens (fountain or otherwise), I am enjoying a small, but always-in-the-rotation collections that I now maintain.

Among them are:

Platinum 3776 Fine
    Platinum 3776 Soft Fine (my usual pick!)
    Pilot 912 Soft Fine (my second pick, might literally be too smooth though)
    Sailor Pro Gear Fine

All are black with rhodium trim. Yeah, I know, boring, but they suit me well. I may branch out to one of the more exotic acrylic makers, like Edison Pen, or Leonardo; or just something whose origin isn't Japan, at some point, but I'm fairly content right now.

My usual inks are almost all Noodler's. The standard blue/black, Air Corp Blue/Black, Squeteague, and Red Black. I do have two outliers, one is the Iroshizuku tsuki-yo, which is a bit too pale for me on the usual Rhodium ivory paper, and one I haven't tried yet, Monteverde Canyon Rust.

I hope to sell my starter group of Pilots soon. So keep your eyes peeled if you're looking for your first set of entry Pilots, or if you need a few good backups!

Ok, enough babbling from me, I look forward to the journey, and hopefully my wallet will remain somewhat intact throughout!

Regards,
    Paul

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Xyrium For This Useful Post:

azkid (June 21st, 2020), Chuck Naill (June 21st, 2020), Deb (June 21st, 2020), Jon Szanto (June 20th, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (June 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Ventured here from r/fountainpens!

Hi Paul,

ah, one more fine nib lover! :-)

Welcome here and enjoy
    Jens
    .................................................. .................................................. .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SchaumburgSwan View Post
    Hi Paul,

ah, one more fine nib lover! :-)

Welcome here and enjoy
    Jens
    Thanks for the warm welcome Jens!

Yes indeed! I love the precision that a fine nib provides, yet a soft fine give that extra little variation, but control, when needed/wanted. The Pilot is definitely soft, while the Platinum SF is probably more my style. GOod feedback, but not overdone in any one extreme.

Regards,
    Paul

Thanks

I prefer black pens, too. I don’t care about trim and i leave the fines to you.

May you find this place an enjoyable diversion.

Thanks

Thank you for the warm welcome guyy!

I have relatively small to medium writing, both printed or cursive. So, the the SF and F nibs work well for me. However, I never learned calligraphy, or any type of cursive writing other than American Cursive, which would take advantage of a broad, or other specialized nib. That day may come soon enough, however!

I generally only take notes during work, and do light journaling with mine, but they've been inspirational for both purposes. I look for reason to write things, and that's what motivated me to take up some journaling.

Thanks again, I look forward to the experience!

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

hi!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Welcome.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Welcome

Thanks

Hooray, another fine-nib lover! I also have very small handwriting and am happiest with an XF nib, although fine is usually, um, fine as well.

I started out life with normal-sized script and a love of medium nibs. However, I turned to writing fiction years ago, and found that I produce better first drafts when I write them by hand. My handwriting evolved over time. (The faster I wrote, the better I could keep up with my stream of thought.) But I didn't realize how much it had changed until I pulled out pages I'd written 20 years ago. My script has grown much more compact and uses an absolute minimum of strokes to form letter shapes. And it also shrunk in size by about 50%. I can now fit the same number of words on an A5 sheet that I used to write on an letter-sized page.

Smaller strokes take less time to write. I still occasionally pull out my juicy old medium nib pens to write letters, but it always feels like I'm stuck in slow-motion as I put down the words. It's frustrating. I don't own a single broad nib. I appreciate how much fun they can be for inkplay and ornamental writing, but I just don't have the patience to use them. Same for italic and flex nibs. I've done calligraphy my whole life, and will sometimes pull out my dip nibs to do some decorative headings or pretty envelope. But to use them for normal writing? I don't have the time. The words are banging against my skull to get out onto the page, and anything that interferes is an exercise in frustration.

So, I tightly clutch my fine, extra-fine, and ultra-extra fine pens to my chest with one hand, and wave hello to another fine-nib user with the other. Welcome to FPGeeks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Here's one Fine nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
    Hooray, another fine-nib lover! I also have very small handwriting and am happiest with an XF nib, although fine is usually, um, fine as well.

I started out life with normal-sized script and a love of medium nibs. However, I turned to writing fiction years ago, and found that I produce better first drafts when I write them by hand. My handwriting evolved over time. (The faster I wrote, the better I could keep up with my stream of thought.) But I didn't realize how much it had changed until I pulled out pages I'd written 20 years ago. My script has grown much more compact and uses an absolute minimum of strokes to form letter shapes. And it also shrunk in size by about 50%. I can now fit the same number of words on an A5 sheet that I used to write on an letter-sized page.

Smaller strokes take less time to write. I still occasionally pull out my juicy old medium nib pens to write letters, but it always feels like I'm stuck in slow-motion as I put down the words. It's frustrating. I don't own a single broad nib. I appreciate how much fun they can be for inkplay and ornamental writing, but I just don't have the patience to use them. Same for italic and flex nibs. I've done calligraphy my whole life, and will sometimes pull out my dip nibs to do some decorative headings or pretty envelope. But to use them for normal writing? I don't have the time. The words are banging against my skull to get out onto the page, and anything that interferes is an exercise in frustration.

So, I tightly clutch my fine, extra-fine, and ultra-extra fine pens to my chest with one hand, and wave hello to another fine-nib user with the other. Welcome to FPGeeks!

Fine nibbers rejoice! I'll admit that it was initially difficult to obtain a EF or F nib whose feed could provide just the write (pun intended) wetness and flow, while maintaining a clean line. I've never delved into having a nibmeister tune a nib for me, but if I ever get a pen that sits in my hand better than all of the rest, I might consider it. Until then, I'm fairly content with my tiny little group. Of course, forums like this have a habit of being quite the enablers...LOL Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Here's one Fine nib.
    What a beauty. Man, I have a weakness for blue pens, yet I own all black pieces! Thanks!

Thanks

You guys are amazing, what a warm crowd. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    hi!
    Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Welcome.
    Thank you Chrissy!

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Welcome
    Thanks Anne!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Welcome to FPG. I'm another fine or EF writer. Most of my modern pens are Japanese fines. All my vintage pens, of various brands, are fine too. Most of my pens are black too. I like to see a good marbled celluloid but it doesn't really matter all that much to me. I find that I have to use strongly coloured ink or my writing doesn't stand out on the page because of the fine nib. I use blue-black a lot but also a few strong colours like Diamine Merlot, Oxblood and Steel Blue.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    Welcome to FPG. I'm another fine or EF writer. Most of my modern pens are Japanese fines. All my vintage pens, of various brands, are fine too. Most of my pens are black too. I like to see a good marbled celluloid but it doesn't really matter all that much to me. I find that I have to use strongly coloured ink or my writing doesn't stand out on the page because of the fine nib. I use blue-black a lot but also a few strong colours like Diamine Merlot, Oxblood and Steel Blue.
    Thanks Deb!

I'm in the same boat. Given my use of ivory paper, I really need something bold flowing through that nib. I am partial to blue blacks of varying degrees, though I've been surprised at how happy I've been with Air Corp. Blue Black lately. It's rapidly becoming my go-to. The Noodler's inks seem to flow with little viscosity, so they don't seem to enhance the feel, but they do allow for good flow on a fine nib (without too much feathering).

I also find that the Japanese pens seem to do F and SF better than the Euro brands. However, I'll admit I've been eyeing a Pelikan M600 in Vibrant Orange lately!

Thanks

Hi Paul, I like my nibs broad, oblique.... but you are welcome, we love diversity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xyrium View Post
    Thanks Deb!

I'm in the same boat. Given my use of ivory paper, I really need something bold flowing through that nib. I am partial to blue blacks of varying degrees, though I've been surprised at how happy I've been with Air Corp. Blue Black lately. It's rapidly becoming my go-to. The Noodler's inks seem to flow with little viscosity, so they don't seem to enhance the feel, but they do allow for good flow on a fine nib (without too much feathering).

I also find that the Japanese pens seem to do F and SF better than the Euro brands. However, I'll admit I've been eyeing a Pelikan M600 in Vibrant Orange lately!
    I bought a Souveran M600 fine point several years ago. Lovely pen to look at and in the green colour I chose, very reminiscent of the classic Pelikans of yesteryear, but even as a fine, the nib tipping was a characterless blob. It didn't work for me at all and I sold it on. I hasten to add that that's just me. There are obviously a great many people who love their Pelikans.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

I bought a Souveran M600 fine point several years ago. Lovely pen to look at and in the green colour I chose, very reminiscent of the classic Pelikans of yesteryear, but even as a fine, the nib tipping was a characterless blob. It didn't work for me at all and I sold it on. I hasten to add that that's just me. There are obviously a great many people who love their Pelikans.
    You should really try some vintage Pelikans! I have a Pelikan 120 with a very thin EF line and is semi flex to boot! I would call it "ridiculously fine" and has nothing in common to today's EF nibs.

Though I don't like flex pens, vintage Pels also offer a wide array of truly astounding nibs that are very different from today's blobby nibs. Even manifold "D" nibs feel better (IMO) than modern nails. Here is a nice chart that illustrates the character of these vintage nibs:

nibsizes.jpg

For a more detailed description of the variety of vintage Pelikan nibs I recommend Joshua's site: https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/08...pen-nib-sizes/

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

AzJon (June 21st, 2020), Deb (June 21st, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (June 21st, 2020), sospiro (June 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    You should really try some vintage Pelikans! I have a Pelikan 120 with a very thin EF line and is semi flex to boot! I would call it "ridiculously fine" and has nothing in common to today's EF nibs.

Though I don't like flex pens, vintage Pels also offer a wide array of truly astounding nibs that are very different from today's blobby nibs. Even manifold "D" nibs feel better (IMO) than modern nails. Here is a nice chart that illustrates the character of these vintage nibs:

For a more detailed description of the variety of vintage Pelikan nibs I recommend Joshua's site: https://thepelikansperch.com/2014/08...pen-nib-sizes/

That's a great chart! You and I seem to be similar in our appreciation of nibs; I don't care for flex and I do love those older Pelikan nibs - among the best nibs there are.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (June 21st, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wahl View Post
    Hi Paul, I like my nibs broad, oblique.... but you are welcome, we love diversity
    Thanks Wahl! I do plan to dip into those waters one day, and I hope it's fruitful!

Some great info on the Pelikans. I've read about the gamble one takes with them, given the variability folks have experienced from sample to sample. However, I feel as if that would be the case in any production line. Besides, scratchy to one person might just be the perfect level of feedback to another. There are a few variables, namely the type of ink being used of course. However, I would agree that at the M600 price range, I expect tighter QC. Conversely, I've heard a lot of good things about their M200's, including above. This usually ground me back down to the price range I'm accustomed to. However, you lose the options of some of the impressive finished being offered.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Welcome from another F/EF fan. I also like certain cursive italic or oblique nibs.