Thread: Has anyone come across one of these before?

Thanks

Default Has anyone come across one of these before?

HI there, hope everyone is keeping well in these interesting times.

This pen arrived the other day, bought out of curiosity more than anything else and because it had an ever sharp signature nib which i thought would come in handy. On closer inspection it is actually stamped with the eversharp brand, has a ten sided faceted barrel and cap the cap has the imprint, but clearly goes with the barrel.
    Its a button filler - which i have only ever seen as a modification on a doric - but in this case clearly not a mod in any way. The facets look much like a doric but the pen is quite chunky.
    Close examination looks as if all of the parts started out togethermystery eversharp.jpgmystery eversharp 2.jpgmystery eversharp.jpgmystery eversharp 2.jpg so im curious as to what it is. Although there are loads of different eversharps in the 20s and 30s in the transition style, i can not find any reference to a facetd one let alone a button filler.
    Any ideas would be great. The pen fills and writes like a dream.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to martinjfrost For This Useful Post:

Deb (June 22nd, 2020), fountainpagan (June 25th, 2020), fountainpenkid (June 22nd, 2020), Jon Szanto (June 24th, 2020), Kaputnik (June 22nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone come across one of these before?

I know very little about Eversharp in general though I have a little knowledge about their British-produced pens. I think this one is American. Despite the discoloration - almost inevitable with that pattern - a most attractive pen. You got a good 'un there!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I know very little about Eversharp in general though I have a little knowledge about their British-produced pens. I think this one is American. Despite the discoloration - almost inevitable with that pattern - a most attractive pen. You got a good 'un there!
    I concur, I cant find a made in usa mark anywhere on it, but i think that ever sharp were in the habit of producing all sorts of variations of their pens, and using up old bits and pieces from older models that were in the factory, so that might explain it. The discoloration does seem to be standard on that pattern of cellulose with ever sharp pens, oddly not the pencils so much.
    Still very curious as it must be from the doric eara, though discoloured there is no crystallisation as is often found in dorics, but the feel of the material is the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

The reason that the pencils don't discolour is that they don't have a sac, which outgasses as it deteriorates and leads to this change of colour. It happens with pens of all manufacture that used that pattern. Yours is far from the worst I have seen and it's actually quite attractive. It might be worthwhile using a silicone sac in that pen to prevent further discoloration.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Nice pen. A doric variation, maybe?

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/doric.htm

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DustyR View Post
    Nice pen. A doric variation, maybe?

http://www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/doric.htm
    I was wondering the same thing. It feels a bit more chunky, and the button filler end and blind cap are not added later and part of the barrel, but i wonder if its a prototype or just a small batch of pens that happened....

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Syd Saperstein would likely know the answers regarding this pen. He's always gone by the email name "wahlnut" and it looks like you can write to him through their contact page.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Syd Saperstein would likely know the answers regarding this pen. He's always gone by the email name "wahlnut" and it looks like you can write to him through their contact page.
    Syd or Cliff Harrington are your best resources.

You might also try looking in the PCA library for information.