Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pens from your First Year of collecting; what do you think of them now?

Thanks

Default Re: Pens from your First Year of collecting; what do you think of them now?

I wasn't collecting when I bought my first pen, a Sheaffer Targa, in 1983: I just wanted a pen to use at University.

I still have the Targa, and while it may look a little beaten up, it still writes exactly the way it did the first time I inked it up. In all those years, it has never skipped, burped, or otherwise failed me. The inlaid nib remains an absolute joy to write with. It is one of the few pens I would never consider parting with.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Default Re: Pens from your First Year of collecting; what do you think of them now?

I'm still in my first year of collecting. I've narrowed down my main interests to four, I think: Pens over 80 years old; Conklin pens new and old; pens with gold nibs; and pink/sparkly pens. Yeah, that really narrows it down, huh? And to think it all started with a pack of zebra disposable fountain pens and two fountain pens I found rolling around in one of my drawers (a Waterman Phileas and a Sheaffer unknown model because I'm too lazy to research it). The two drawer pens were bought around the year 2000, no earlier than 1998 and no later than 2004.

Right now my collecting strategy is that I buy what I like and what interests me. That's all over the place. With new pens, I try to buy a low-end model, a medium-price model and a premium model before deciding to not buy any more of that maker. With vintage and antique pens, I try to buy everything I like. I can't afford to do that exactly, but I keep looking. I think I like my antique and vintage pens to have a little use showing--not a lot, but not mint or new old stock, either. I want to know they at least got taken out of the box and admired once. I'm not into things enough to start buying "project" pens in need of repairs. I also try to buy modern pens from the same or revived maker if there is a modern maker.

So far I like all my pens. Because I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

azkid (August 3rd, 2020), Chuck Naill (August 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

It depends on the pen. I still have my first NN, my first Targa, lost my first Esterbrook from high school. I still have the first Parker 51 that I bought and restored, the first Duofold Sr. and the pens that a co-worker gave me that started me on my way collecting, and ultimately repairing pens and getting into the repair business. But I've also sold a fair number of the early pens, and pens that were just sitting in the cases, never getting used.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.