Thread: Levenger-Sheaffer Converter Replacement?

Thanks

Default Levenger-Sheaffer Converter Replacement?

I have an old Levenger (Sheaffer) fountain pen that has a squeeze converter.

It writes well and the converter is the only thing about it that I don't like.

Does anyone know of a piston style converter that would fit?

Thanks in advance!
    converter.jpgnib.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Default Re: Levenger-Sheaffer Converter Replacement?

It depends on the pen. If in a Balance II style pen, the piston converter will fit. It may nor may not fit in one of the Levenger Connaisseur line of pens. If your pen has the brass plug at the end of the barrel, the answer is no. The plug shortens the inside length of the barrel enough that it won't work, which is the case with all of the opaque barrel colors of the Connaisseur. If one of the later pens without the plug, it will fit.

The red end squeeze converters have a PVC sac inside. Hang onto it even if you don't use it because they're getting to be scarce. They're the only converter that will work in some pens, like the TD Legacy pens. Don't toss a black end one with the latex sac either, because they can be rebuilt with a PVC sac.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I've switched several of my squeeze converters to the Sheaffer standard twist action converter because I also prefer twist action converters. The twist action converter will fit the front end, but as Ron says, whether you can screw the barrel home depends on it's length or whether there is a plug inside it at the end.

Yes these red end squeeze converters are getting harder to find so I never throw them away. I've been known to resac black end converters with latex sacs too. I occasionally buy red or black end converters on ebay if they are cheap.

I find it really annoying that I can't use a twist action converter in my silver Legacy version 1 pen. Every time I refill it I find myself wondering if I took the TD tubes out completely whether a twist action converter would then fit.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I found that the Sheaffer piston converter from the Intrigue series is short enough to fit in many of the plugged Connaisseur pens.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, it has a brass plug...argh!
    If I can't get a converter to fit, does anyone know if I can use standard international cartridge's? If so I may end up buying some (don't have any), cleaning them out and then using my ink via a syringe fill.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tde44 View Post
    If I can't get a converter to fit, does anyone know if I can use standard international cartridge's? If so I may end up buying some (don't have any), cleaning them out and then using my ink via a syringe fill.
    No but you can use the standard Sheaffer cartridges.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tde44 View Post
    No but you can use the standard Sheaffer cartridges.
    Agreed. You will need to buy Sheaffer standard cartridges or maybe a short converter from a Sheaffer Intrigue. Short International cartridges won't fit.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

I found that the Sheaffer piston converter from the Intrigue series is short enough to fit in many of the plugged Connaisseur pens.
    Good luck finding one. I haven't seen any around for at least couple of years. Sheaffer quit making them when the line was discontinued. The problem is that the teeth on the knob on the end strip, so they don't engage with the knob on the barrel, and people ended up replacing them long before they should have needed to. The supply of replacements dried up pretty quickly. The last one I had sold for something around $60+, and the person who bought it was VERY happy to get it.

I've quit selling red end converters. I want the ones I have left for my own pens, or pens I might sell.
    Last edited by Ron Z; June 26th, 2020 at 05:52 PM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Good luck finding one. I haven't seen any around for at least couple of years. Sheaffer quit making them when the line was discontinued. The problem is that the teeth on the knob on the end strip, so they don't engage with the knob on the barrel, and people ended up replacing them long before they should have needed to. The supply of replacements dried up pretty quickly. The last one I had sold for something around $60+, and the person who bought it was VERY happy to get it.

I've quit selling red end converters. I want the ones I have left for my own pens, or pens I might sell.
    Glad I bought a mess of them long long ago then. But I'm not that surprised. I think I just have a couple of the pens though.