Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pen Size Matching Hand Size

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Default Re: Pen Size Matching Hand Size

I sometimes have trouble with thin pens - a little arthritis - but thankfully not all the time.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (June 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deb View Post
    I sometimes have trouble with thin pens - a little arthritis - but thankfully not all the time.
    I had considered that a larger size pen or other required products for daily needs might require customization or manufactured tools that an occupational therapist might provide.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

There seems to be two notions that are being intermixed. The first is whether or not a hand size correlates with a pen size, or that a certain sized hand requires a certain sized pen. I agree that this is not true. The second is whether or not the dimensions of the pen matter. This is most certainly true in my experience.

A 146 and Sailor 1911 feel comfortable to me. A M800 does not. Other than the taper, they’re very similar in size. I like an M400 and 600, but not a 145. I have no problem with the thin section of a Faber Castell Ondoro, but can’t tolerate the similarly sized Edison Pearlette. The girth of a Delta Dolce Vita and 149 pose no problem for me, but the nib of a 149 is long enough to make the pen feel awkward, because it raises my grip high enough off the paper to feel awkward. Could I get used to the differences? Perhaps, but I’ve never been able to do that with an M800 (and lord knows I’ve tried, in order to justify keeping the tortoise).

There is no rule of thumb, no formula for determining preference, and no x-sized hand must use y-sized pen. You just have to try them and discover what you like, and that’s part of the fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

I agree about the length of nibs and how awkward a too long one can feel. Hard on the wrist.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 28th, 2020)