Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pen Size Matching Hand Size

Thanks

Default Pen Size Matching Hand Size

In several videos of pen reviews and comparisons, the author talks about the size of pens and how the size should match your hand size. I believe one of these videos was rbebrown comparing Pelikans and Montblancs. He noted that his hand size was 8" and, I think, concluded that a Pelikan M1000 or MB 149 were the right size.

How do you measure hand size? If I go from the tip of my middle finger to the base of my thumb, I get 7". That doesn't seem right. Unlike our President, I don't have small hands and 7" is a lot less than Brown's 8".
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Pen Size Matching Hand Size

I figure he's over-compensating. Probably will buy a red sports car at some point...

Seriously though, I'm sitting here thinking "that really is an odd question and I have no idea". Like you, I don't consider my hands small, quite the opposite. I did the same measure (tip of 2nd finger to base of thumb) and got 7". However, if I splay my hand out and measure the maximum distance from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my little finger, it's 8". Maybe it is the width of the outstretched hand that he was measuring?

I totally agree, though: my pen use and comfort continued to grow and improve as i realized the pens that fit my hand best and it is certainly something for people to consider.

I think the site is mostly dormant now but a couple of young friends started a blog about pens that focused on this issue as the three had different hand sizes and grips. The comparison shots of same pen in different hands that they present are quite useful, and their reviews are well done. Take a look at Hand Over That Pen.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Presumably, he was referring to glove sizing (the only hand size "standard" I am aware of). You measure around the circumference of your palm: 8" would be a men's S.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

The way to measure hand size is here: https://choosehandsafety.org//choosi...hand-tool-size

According to this method my hands are a little over 8 inches. Having said that, I like smaller pens, such as M400 size, so I wonder if it's all a little overblown?

Ralf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ralfstc View Post
    The way to measure hand size is here: https://choosehandsafety.org//choosi...hand-tool-size

According to this method my hands are a little over 8 inches. Having said that, I like smaller pens, such as M400 size, so I wonder if it's all a little overblown?

Ralf
    That method looks like what Brown was doing. I get 7 3/8".

"A person's hand size is measured by the length of their hand. A British Study found that hand sizes for males range from 6.25" to 8.1" with an average hand size of 7.44"." https://choosehandsafety.org//choosi...-tool-size#ft1, quoting https://www.theaveragebody.com/average-hand-size/.

When I got my first "serious" fountain pen, I found that a MB149 was too big, so I got a 146. Now I use a Pelikan M805 and it's just right.
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

Thanks

Hands come in different shapes. Some are longer, some are thicker, some have a greater range. Those measurements will vary.

But does it matter that much? Americans are slightly smaller than they used to be (except around the waist and on the scale), but yet we have people saying standard 51s are too small. Funny that they weren’t too small back in the day.

I have larger than sbrebrown sized hands and i can write with everything from golf pencils, to 52 1/2 Vs to KoPs. What’s most comfortable? I use 149s often, love the KoP and senior Duofolds, but for extended writing i like 51s for their form & Pelikan 400nns for their low weight. The MB 14/24 is right in the sweet spot, light and sized to forget.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (June 27th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

What would Goldilocks do?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaliuzhkin View Post
    In several videos of pen reviews and comparisons, the author talks about the size of pens and how the size should match your hand size. I believe one of these videos was rbebrown comparing Pelikans and Montblancs. He noted that his hand size was 8" and, I think, concluded that a Pelikan M1000 or MB 149 were the right size.

How do you measure hand size? If I go from the tip of my middle finger to the base of my thumb, I get 7". That doesn't seem right. Unlike our President, I don't have small hands and 7" is a lot less than Brown's 8".
    I'm curious what is going on in a person's head that would cause them to conceive of such nonsense?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I'm curious what is going on in a person's head that would cause them to conceive of such nonsense?
    You'll have to explain yourself rather than just proclaim it "nonsense".

Pens come in many sizes and shapes (and weights) and hands size, including finger length, and finding the best match to one's hand can have very positive benefits for the writing experience. While I would never consider some formula for equating "this pen with this hand size", I do think that one can certainly calibrate the parameters to make for the user's benefit.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    She'd huff, and she'd puff, and... oh, wait.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

This is a subject I've remarked upon in several other threads. Except in circumstance of exceptional difference, i.e. enormous hands and size 0 pen, there is no correlation between hand size, pen size and ease of use. Most of the problems people have with comfortability actually stem from poor writing technique.

If one is not going to go to the effort of training their hand anew, then it seems quite reasonable to discuss pen dimensions with respect to comfort. However, it would be inaccurate and misleading to new users to hear that big hands need big pens (for example).

Controversial perhaps, but it seems that this issue of size is a relatively recent complaint.

Edited one time, for poor typing technique!
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; June 26th, 2020 at 11:24 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (June 27th, 2020)

Thanks

As a rule of thumb I find grip more important than pen size when it comes to comfort.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    You'll have to explain yourself rather than just proclaim it "nonsense".

Pens come in many sizes and shapes (and weights) and hands size, including finger length, and finding the best match to one's hand can have very positive benefits for the writing experience. While I would never consider some formula for equating "this pen with this hand size", I do think that one can certainly calibrate the parameters to make for the user's benefit.
    I immediately thoughts of Itzhak Perlman's fingers. As you probably know, he is a world acclaimed violinist with large fingers.

Then I considered the size of dental and surgical instruments. Lastly I considered that in general humans adapt to the tool. The idea that a large handed person "requires" a certain size pen is nonsense. It is an variation on the oft suggestion that "size matters" and usually perpetrated by men...LOL!!
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; June 27th, 2020 at 03:51 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Deb (June 27th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,450 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    As a rule of thumb I find grip more important than pen size when it comes to comfort.
    I'm in this category. As long as the grip is very comfortable and not slippery, and the unposted pen goes past the "webbing" between my first finger and thumb, then it's usually good enough for me to write with. Measurements aren't important. I just go on how it feels in my hand.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    That applies to me too. I have small hands but I use a variety of sizes of pens. I have a Senior Duofold. My Swan SF230s are a similar size. At the other end of the scale my Geha is a short, slender pen and I have 80s and 90s Japanese pens that are very slender. They all work for me. The ones that don't are heavy pens.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

I suspect some of this obsession with size comes not from the size of the hand, but how someone holds their pen. I’ve noticed that younger users often grip their pens very tightly, which will set up cramping in the muscles used. The smaller the section on the pen, the tighter the muscles are clenched, and the more discomfort will arise.

While the best solution would be to relearn how to hold the pen (I have a very relaxed grip and can comfortably use anything from a tiny pencil up to a MB 146), most people seem to be unaware of the issue. And frankly, it’s not easy to relearn something as deeply ingrained as holding a pen. So the solution seems to be a pursuit of ever bigger pens that keep the fingers naturally less clenched while forming letters.

Personally, I much pickier about weight. I can’t write with a heavy pen. It feels like I’m trying to walk while pushing a schoolbus in front of me.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elaineb For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (June 27th, 2020), Deb (June 27th, 2020), Jon Szanto (June 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    At first she tried the MontBlanc Classique, but that was too small.

Then, she tried the MontBlanc 149. but that was too big.

Then she tried the MontBlanc 146 and it was just right.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 27th, 2020), Kaputnik (June 27th, 2020), Scrawler (June 27th, 2020)

Thanks

I immediately thoughts of Itzhak Perlman's fingers. As you probably know, he is a world acclaimed violinist with large fingers.

Then I considered the size of dental and surgical instruments. Lastly I considered that in general humans adapt to the tool. The idea that a large handed person "requires" a certain size pen is nonsense. It is an variation on the oft suggestion that "size matters" and usually perpetrated by men...LOL!!
    Well, I'm not in the camp about "requiring" a size, and I laugh, as well, over the concepts like the Sheaffer PFM.

But I don't think the physical dimensions of a tool and it's relation to comfortable and effective use are nonsense. My career has been in professional music, and as part of the orchestra, I've accompanied Mr. Perlman on a number of concerts. I note that he chose not to use a 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 or even 1/2-size violin - though that is what many young players start with - but a full sized instrument.

I consider the girth of the grip to be part of size, as well. It tends to be a big part of what makes a pen more comfortable in use, to me. I'm also not saying that humans are not adaptable - of course they are. Yet the entire field of ergonomics would not exist if there were not aspects of design, construction and (most importantly) use of tools that more closely matched a physically easier or more comfortable experience. For the same reason major league baseball players don't pick up the exact same bat, just as drummers don't all use the same size/shape drumstick - even though they could - I think it makes sense that the size of a pen can either improve or degrade a pen users experience if chosen with some thought.

Of course, we may not all agree on this, but I don't think it is a nonsensical consideration in the least.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Hand age more than size determine what you will be comfortable holding. When my hands were young they could pick up a quarter inch diameter stick pen and use it, as well as any larger pens I got my hands on. Now I find I gravitate towards larger pens so that I do not have to close my fingers so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,450 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Hand age more than size determine what you will be comfortable holding. When my hands were young they could pick up a quarter inch diameter stick pen and use it, as well as any larger pens I got my hands on. Now I find I gravitate towards larger pens so that I do not have to close my fingers so far.
    I agree I admit I also tend to go for fatter pens rather than slimmer pens.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens