Thread: Calligraphy fountain pen with wide nib for written work?

Thanks

Default Calligraphy fountain pen with wide nib for written work?

Had gotten really frustrated looking for what I want on the inter-web before I was lucky and ran across this forum. I'm older than dirt, former army medic, Registered Nurse, university in TEXAS, interested in Guns and Roses. Favorite pen in the past was a Shaffer Snorkel but left it behind somewhere. Now want to be able to sign my JOHN HANCOCK like he did, so looking for a wide calligraphy fountain pen in the less than $50 - $100 range on which I can change nibs, (hopefully).

Any suggestions for me? If I can't find a good refillable fountain pen on which nibs can be changed at will, I'll probably go for one around 1.5 -- Think that'd be good? Thanks for any help!

Carry On!
    Garry

Thanks

Default Re: Calligraphy fountain pen with wide nib for written work?

Best actual calligraphy pen is Pilot Parallel which comes in 4 widths. If you prefer normal fountain pens then I recommend TWSBI but it only comes in one size of italic stub,1.1mm. If you like changing nibs a lot then a vintage Osmiroid set would be a nice inexpensive option.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

GWR (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 2,142 Posts

I already replied to this on your welcome thread but I will repost it here:

The Lamy Joy comes with a calligraphy nib in 1.1mm, 1.5mm or 1.9mm and all of the Lamy Safari, Al-Star and Nexx pens use the same steel nib so they are all interchangeable. Ensuring you get the calligraphy nib first means you can use it in any of those pens.

If you go and search on Amazon for "Lamy 1.5 nib" it may come up with that nib availability in several different Lamy pens. Just in case you don't like the long desk type barrel of the Joy.

Western made pens generally tend to have nibs that run wider than those made in Japan.

You could also look at Sheaffer No Nonsense calligraphy pens.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 30th, 2020 at 03:42 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

GWR (Yesterday)

Thanks

For calligraphy. Lamy Joy and Rotring Artpen are cheapish, enjoyable and high quality pens. You can buy swappable nibs and nib units for them. Of as Chrissy says you can just use Lamy Safaris if you want something that looks more like a typical fountain pen rather than a desk pen.

The main difference is the grip. A triangular grip on the Joy/Safari and a round, ribbed grip on the Artpen. The triangular grip can help you with good pen holding, but some people don't like it.

Add a Pilot Parallel in one of the larger sizes like 3.8mm or 6mm and you can do some fantastic capitals. I also find that if my calligraphy is looking a bit sxcratchy, practising with the big size nibs always shows up exactly where the problems are - it's like using a microscope on my handwriting for diagnosis!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

GWR (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 2,142 Posts

I went and looked at the Pilot Parallell and from the image I saw I considered it looked more like a paintbrush than a nib.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

GWR (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I went and looked at the Pilot Parallell and from the image I saw I considered it looked more like a paintbrush than a nib.
    I have what I think is the complete set of Pilot Parallels, bought because...because...well, anyway, I bought them. They are interesting pens, but I haven't used them in a long time. I could write with the 1.5 mm one if I wanted to, almost normally, but with a bit of flair. The 6.0 mm one isn't practical for anything that I'd do at the moment, although you never know.

Not really into calligraphy, though, although some of my coworkers refer to my garden variety cursive as "fancy writing".
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 30th, 2020), GWR (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 760 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I had one of those for a while. I had no practical use for it but it was a lot of fun. Got through much ink!
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog
    My Pen Sales

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 30th, 2020), GWR (Yesterday)