Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 200% Pilot Blue-Black ink review (instead of the dull 100%)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: 200% Pilot Blue-Black ink review (instead of the dull 100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    You must love cats (or at least yours).
    I do, indeed. Some days they are the only good thing at all.

I do not (not about yours, specifically...all of them).
    Perfectly fine! I'm no feline evangelist or something and many of my friends are 'dog people'. Plenty have no pets at all. Some adore their offspring!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (July 10th, 2020)

Thanks

I like cats but love dogs

Anyway, when evaporating ink I would leave it in the desk or in a cupboard cause having no cat I would most probably spill it myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Glad to know that Dewey had not tried to do an ink review, by leaving pawmarks on the white carpet, pillows, sheet and then rolling in the ink to do abstract paintings on the upholstery

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

"Hey, Look At This Thing!!"

Artist: Dewey
    Mixed Media: Ink on wood flooring, glass shards - July, 2020

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 10th, 2020), jdtw (July 10th, 2020), TSherbs (July 10th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Not bad... It goods well with the wood.... I have some Baystate blue on the wood....Not as spectacular as yours though, or should I say Maestro Dewey

Thanks

Not only a piece of art was created but also a gallery has been established

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aurore For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 17th, 2020)

Thanks

Thanks for the Post. I am trying this same experiment using Pelican 4001 Royal Blue. Not as cheap as your option but still fun to experiment.
    Cheers,
    VT

Thanks

I tried the Pelikan 4001 Royal blue with a 200% mix and my Pilot SF Falcon did not like it. It would not go through the nib.
    I might try it with my Pelikan 600 and see if it will flow but I am not holding my breath.
    Last edited by VerticalTwin; April 30th, 2021 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalTwin View Post
    I tried the Pelikan 4001 Royal blue with a 200% mix and my Falcon SF Falcon did not like it. It would not go through the nib.
    I might try it with my Pelikan 600 and see if it will flow but I am not holding my breath.
    Pelikan 4001 RB is not much saturated but I guess the concentrating has raised the viscosity.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I tried the Pelikan 4001 Royal blue with a 200% mix and my Falcon SF Falcon did not like it. It would not go through the nib.
    When you remove water from any ink and concentrate it, it automatically becomes a thicker liquid that will not travel through some fountain pens in exactly the same way as it did before it was concentrated.
    This is the same reason why some highly saturated (lower water content) inks work less well with some fountain pens than others.
    When you have pens that tend to dry out ink, they start to work less well as soon as the ink has been concentrated down.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    When you remove water from any ink and concentrate it, it automatically becomes a thicker liquid that will not travel through some fountain pens in exactly the same way as it did before it was concentrated.
    This is the same reason why some highly saturated (lower water content) inks work less well with some fountain pens than others.
    When you have pens that tend to dry out ink, they start to work less well as soon as the ink has been concentrated down.
    Well, yes, but it is quite a bit related to the overall saturation which is not what Pelikan RB is famous for And also the wetness of the standard concentration. I wonder how does it flow in a standard concentration in Falcon SF since anything but super wet inks did not flow well in my Falcon SF.
    And the last thing, especially in case of dry inks it takes ages to flow after filling, if a cartridge was refilled instead of filling using a converter from a bottle.

P.S.: I have seen guys using locally made school inks in a 2000% (yes, 2000, not 200) concentration without issues
    Last edited by aurore; August 18th, 2020 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aurore View Post
    Well, yes, but it is quite a bit related to the overall saturation which is not what Pelikan RB is famous for And also the wetness of the standard concentration. I wonder how does it flow in a standard concentration in Falcon SF since anything but super wet inks did not flow well in my Falcon SF.
    And the last thing, especially in case of dry inks it takes ages to flow after filling, if a cartridge was refilled instead of filling using a converter from a bottle.

P.S.: I have seen guys using locally made school inks in a 2000% (yes, 2000, not 200) concentration without issues
    As ink manufacturers make saturated inks with more dye and less water, I can only assume they also tweak the wetting agent.

Some of us remember an experiment from when the SuSeMai powdered inks were released by Blackstone. There were several different amounts of water that could be added to the packet of powdered ingredients to make up an ink to the saturation each user wanted it to be. However, what happened was they could not guarantee how much of each of the supplementary ingredients were originally present in each pack of powder. Therefore some packs didn't have any mould inhibitor or maybe some packs also had less wetting agent. They all became variable, so the experiment wasn't continued at that time.

When Blackstone issued their ink range they issued them as saturated inks. Since then they have also issued "lighter" inks. i.e. less saturated inks that contain more water, and they state that these "lighter" inks can be used in all fountain pens. Whether they were also suggesting that maybe the saturated inks weren't as suitable for some fountain pens as they were for others isn't mentioned.

Thanks

As ink manufacturers make saturated inks with more dye and less water, I can only assume they also tweak the wetting agent.
    Some of us remember an experiment from when the SuSeMai powdered inks were released by Blackstone. There were several different amounts of water that could be added to the packet of powdered ingredients to make up an ink to the saturation each user wanted it to be. However, what happened was they could not guarantee how much of each of the supplementary ingredients were originally present in each pack of powder. Therefore some packs didn't have any mould inhibitor or maybe some packs also had less wetting agent. They all became variable, so the experiment wasn't continued at that time.

When Blackstone issued their ink range they issued them as saturated inks. Since then they have also issued "lighter" inks. i.e. less saturated inks that contain more water, and they state that these "lighter" inks can be used in all fountain pens. Whether they were also suggesting that maybe the saturated inks weren't as suitable for some fountain pens as they were for others isn't mentioned.
    Yes, in general terms. But we are not talking about a powder ink but about a very traditional and not much saturated ink. The half-evaporation is supposed to double all the non-water components which indeed might affect significantly the perfomance of very saturated inks (for instance some highly saturated Sailor inks such as Yonaga tend to dry out when uncapped very quickly causing hard starts), but Pelikan RB is not such. Honestly, if this ink does not write in a double concentration it will not write properly in a standard concentration either(in this pen). Just my 2c as for the practical experience.

Thanks

I didn't know that Pelikan 4001 was so unsaturated. i.e. it has twice as much water in there to start with that makes it into a saturated ink when you evaporate it to half as much. That makes sense.

Thanks

I didn't know that Pelikan 4001 was so unsaturated. i.e. it has twice as much water in there to start with that makes it into a saturated ink when you evaporate it to half as much. That makes sense.
    I simply cannot imagine a 200% Pelikan 4001 RB not working if it worked as 100% (in the same pen, with the same way of filling) Well, I still have about 20ml of Pelikan 4001 RB left so I am going to do a 100% vs. 200% comparison in a week using Sailor EF (medium flow, definitely not a gusher)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to aurore For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (August 18th, 2020)

Thanks

I simply cannot imagine a 200% Pelikan 4001 RB not working if it worked as 100% (in the same pen, with the same way of filling) Well, I still have about 20ml of Pelikan 4001 RB left so I am going to do a 100% vs. 200% comparison in a week using Sailor EF (medium flow, definitely not a gusher)
    It isn't me who has had the problem. VerticalTwin is the member who has had that problem with his Falcon SF:

Thanks

It isn't me who has had the problem. VerticalTwin is the member who has had that problem with his Falcon SF
    I was not claiming you did I am just curious to try it out.

Thanks

It isn't me who has had the problem. VerticalTwin is the member who has had that problem with his Falcon SF
    NP. As you have some left at 100% I would go for it. You never know until you try.
    I've tried reducing the water content of Parker Quink Blue but I only guessed. I didn't measure it down to half as much. Just stopped when it looked and swabbed concentrated enough.
    Oh and I left it in the bottle so that I didn't spill it. I used your method of a piece of coffee filter paper secured on top of the bottle with a rubber band. I had slight worries when putting on the rubber band, but managed it OK without sending the bottle flying across the room. Or "doing a Jon Szanto" as we may now call it.
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 18th, 2020 at 02:10 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (August 18th, 2020)

Thanks

NP. As you have some left at 100% I would go for it. You never know until you try.
    I've tried reducing the water content of Parker Quink Blue but I only guessed. I didn't measure it down to half as much. Just stopped when it looked and swabbed concentrated enough.
    Oh and I left it in the bottle so that I didn't spill it. I used your method of a piece of coffee filter paper secured on top of the bottle with a rubber band. I had slight worries when putting on the rubber band, but managed it OK without sending the bottle flying across the room. Or "doing a Jon Szanto" as we may now call it.
    Aye aye! I put the vial in a cupboard - a Dewey-safe place I am quite curious, a more saturated Pelikan 4001 RB might be an ice ink (especially considering it costs about 25 EUR / 1l in Germany.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aurore For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 19th, 2020), TSherbs (August 18th, 2020), Yazeh (August 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

@aurore

I am curious also. I hope that you will publish your results here.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk