Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Allure of Cheap pens

Thanks

Default Re: The Allure of Cheap pens

'I have never collected anything, and I own nothing that would make me sad to lose.'

Memories? Haven't you collected memories?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

How do you know when you've lost a memory?

Anyway, in the memorable words of Loren C. Eiseley:

"I do not collect," I said uncomfortably, the wind beating at my garments. "Neither the living nor the dead. I gave it up a long time ago. Death is the only successful collector."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

AzJon (September 14th, 2020), TSherbs (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Speaking only about my sister, she knows she's lost a memory when she asks me about a memorable event from our childhood that another family member mentions or she finds an old photograph of the event.

That's when I get a text message saying, 'Tell me about ____________. I don't remember it.'

Thanks

Presumably she is unaware of the loss of memory until stimulated by external clues?

My previous post was tongue-in-cheek... and referred the internal experience only.

Thanks

'My previous post was tongue-in-cheek... and referred the internal experience only.'

I knew that, but the opportunity to have a go at my sister was too much to resist.

On another note, I was cleaning a vintage Swan earlier, and when I put it away in the case I noticed a pen that seemed unbranded. Naturally, I had to see what it was.

It is an Osmiriod 65 with a left handed nib that I've owned for decades and forgotten I had.

Osmiriods were an inexpensive pen back in the day. Inexpensive enough that nearly every news agency sold them. They commonly found their way into the hands of school children because they were cheap but functional. This pen produces a nice line thanks to the quality of the nib. Nib quality, not styling was Osmiriod's forte. It is that I think, the quality of the nib, that gives a pen its value and not the 'sticker price' (MSRP). This pen writes every bit as well as my late wife's Parker Duofold that cost half the price when she and I were at school.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    'I have never collected anything, and I own nothing that would make me sad to lose.'

Memories? Haven't you collected memories?
    Ha. Yes.

I'm the guy that throws out old journals and letters. I don't reread them, so every time I finish a journal, I throw one out (to make room on a shelf). Same with letters in my letter slot (no offense to my pen pals). I just don't keep stuff, except clothing or shoes, which I keep until I get holes and my wife throws them out. For a while I kept some books (I have been a literature teacher), but I don't anymore. I don't reread them, so they have become clutter.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I'm the guy that throws out old journals and letters. I don't reread them, so every time I finish a journal, I throw one out (to make room on a shelf). Same with letters in my letter slot (no offense to my pen pals). I just don't keep stuff, except clothing or shoes, which I keep until I get holes and my wife throws them out. For a while I kept some books (I have been a literature teacher), but I don't anymore. I don't reread them, so they have become clutter.
    As long as you don't throw out friendships, I'm pretty much ok with you being you.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (September 15th, 2020), TSherbs (September 13th, 2020)

Thanks

Reminds me of a rather more apposite quote.

To let friendship die away by negligence and silence is certainly not wise. It is voluntarily to throw away one of the greatest comforts of the weary pilgrimage. - Samuel Johnson

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 10th, 2021), TSherbs (September 14th, 2020)