Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July 9th, 2020 in Hidalgo County Texas

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: July 9th, 2020 in Hidalgo County Texas

The NYT today has an article centered on Edinburg; one of the cities in Hidalgo County. It only looks at one of the hospitals in the area, Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance (DHR) but it's pretty much reflected at all of the other hospitals in the Valley. Later today the County Judge is expected to issue a stay at home order for all but essential workers but unfortunately it will be unenforceable since Governor Abbott has still preempted all local control.

His action though is an indicator of just how serious the situation is down here along the river.

And over the weekend 1320 additional new cases as well as 17 more deaths were reported. July so fay has seen 8181 new Covid-19 cases and 255 deaths.

07-18&19.jpg

Thanks

Well at least your Govenor has kept Texas in the international news. His stance on Covid is well known in Canada and we're shocked by it up here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Well at least your Govenor has kept Texas in the international news. His stance on Covid is well known in Canada and we're shocked by it up here.
    There is actually a method to his madness and one shared by several other Governors, many Senators and Representatives and the White House.

Covid-19, as bad as it is, still is primarily a threat to the elderly, those with pre-existing conditions like diabetes, asthma, immune disorder, heart conditions, high blood pressure and all of those are common among the POC community and the poorer segments of our population.

That is not the voting demographic courted by Governor Abbott or the White House. For the vast majority of those who are Covid-19 positive it is an unpleasant experience but survivable. While it seems that there might be many longer term effects that will plague those folk in the future, that is NOT of any importance during THIS election cycle.

In addition if local governments react by applying additional sanctions on those who do not see Covid-19 as a clear and present danger those sanction will simply solidify the voting base that the Republicans fear they are losing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    There is actually a method to his madness and one shared by several other Governors, many Senators and Representatives and the White House.

Covid-19, as bad as it is, still is primarily a threat to the elderly, those with pre-existing conditions like diabetes, asthma, immune disorder, heart conditions, high blood pressure and all of those are common among the POC community and the poorer segments of our population.

That is not the voting demographic courted by Governor Abbott or the White House. For the vast majority of those who are Covid-19 positive it is an unpleasant experience but survivable. While it seems that there might be many longer term effects that will plague those folk in the future, that is NOT of any importance during THIS election cycle.

In addition if local governments react by applying additional sanctions on those who do not see Covid-19 as a clear and present danger those sanction will simply solidify the voting base that the Republicans fear they are losing.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Coupled with efforts to deny access to mail-in or drive-thru balloting, it's quite the one-two punch.

Vote 11-3-20!

Thanks

[QUOTE=TSherbs;296016]
    Couldn't agree with you more. Coupled with efforts to deny access to mail-in or drive-thru balloting, it's quite the one-two punch.

Vote 11-3-20!
    With all of Trumps rhetoric about illegals voting and the elections being rigged I will not be surprised by finding an ICE or Border Patrol vehicle parked just beyond the Electioneering limit at every polling place in the Valley.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 20th, 2020), welch (July 20th, 2020)

Thanks

I've been reading about Texas, Jar, and follow the case-death count in the Washington Post, which reports about 138,000 deaths overall in the US. The Times has it at about 140,000.

I read the Times article about your county, not knowing it is yours. Hoping you can stay safe.

Yes, I gagged when the Lieutenant Governor of Texas said he would be glad to risk his life, and the lives of anyone over 60, just to "reopen" the state. "Bless his little heart", as Granny used to say. And his tiny mind.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (July 20th, 2020), TSherbs (July 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    I've been reading about Texas, Jar, and follow the case-death count in the Washington Post, which reports about 138,000 deaths overall in the US. The Times has it at about 140,000.

I read the Times article about your county, not knowing it is yours. Hoping you can stay safe.

Yes, I gagged when the Lieutenant Governor of Texas said he would be glad to risk his life, and the lives of anyone over 60, just to "reopen" the state. "Bless his little heart", as Granny used to say. And his tiny mind.
    The hospital that they featured is a very worst example of Health Care as a Profit Center but most of the other hospitals are also totally overwhelmed.

Remember he has regular tests and monitoring and the very best care money can buy. On the other hand the County has a poverty rate of 31.8% and one of the highest incidences of diabetes, breathing problems and other contributing factors.

Thanks

Finally the local County Court Judge issued a ruling; not what is needed but all that can be managed under current restrictions. It says that anyone notified that they have been exposed to or that has had a family member exposed to Covid-19 MUST self quarantine. It's really limited and nearly unenforceable but as I said, about all that can legally be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

What is particularly concerning is that we are still finding between 15% and 20% of all people being tested are coming in as positive. Recent rates have reached as high as 50%.

WHO has said that opening up the economy should only be attempted when the percentage returning as positive consistently falls below 5%.

Thanks

There were 34 additional deaths recorded today and another 524 positive cases. There are over 1000 cases hospitalized and 228 in ICU. Our overall rate of Positive results still stands at 16.75 but that is considering total testing since March. Recent testing still runs between 30% and 50% positive.

Our County Judge issued a "Stay at home" order covering all county residents that will become effective on July 22, 2020 at 12:01am but unfortunately many of the real critical Covid-19 vectors are allowed to continue including :

Thanks

Interview on tonight's local news with Governor Abbott and he still refuses to allow enforcement of the stay at home order or request to close non-essential businesses. In fact he refused to even discuss them.

Thanks

Default 07/21

The Governor says he will send personnel to help in the hospital BUT will not issue mandator stay-at-home orders or allow the local governments to enforce stay at home orders.
    Last edited by jar; July 22nd, 2020 at 05:39 AM. Reason: applin spallin

Thanks

I fear that we have reached the point where the numbers are so overwhelming that no one will even listen.

Thanks

Default From the New York Times 07/23/2020

Only New York City and New Orleans at their peaks had more cases per 100,000 population than the Rio Grande Valley is experiencing right now. And six of the current ten highest rates of hospitalizations currently are also in Texas.

Source

Thanks

So, Florida and Texas are racing for the most hospital cases.

Who's governing those states?

Oh, I see.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    So, Florida and Texas are racing for the most hospital cases.

Who's governing those states?

Oh, I see.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    In Texas they are all relatively Liberal areas with Liberal local governments but control is held by the Governor who will not allow mandatory restrictions.

And all the exceptions to limiting crowds and contacts are still in place.

Note that even the 50% limit is qualified to be as determined by the owner of the operation or event and not the occupancy set by law or ordinance.
    Last edited by jar; July 23rd, 2020 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks

Same scenario is true for my brother in Savannah GA area. More liberal town wants to control their bars and beaches, but their own governor has threatened to sue them to override any local stricter ordinances.

So all the greater Georgia folk are flocking to these little beaches, jamming the bars, and leaving trash everywhere. And depositing some COVID in new hosts.
    Last edited by TSherbs; July 23rd, 2020 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 797 Posts

Yesterday I was watching the news on CNN and saw a piece on Hidalgo county, Texas. All I could think about was jar.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/22/u...-19/index.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Yesterday I was watching the news on CNN and saw a piece on Hidalgo county, Texas. All I could think about was jar.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/22/u...-19/index.html
    From that article:

"They're going out and they're doing barbecues and they're doing parties and they're doing a soccer practice or they're going to the beach here in South Padre Island," Vallejo said. "It's so hard to try to understand ... Do they think that their life has more value than the health care workers that eventually will take care of them if they get sick? Because we will. No matter what. We will."
    If you look at the age/sex breakdown for Hidalgo County the causes should be immediately apparent.

The young immortals are living today without understanding that even though they may survive about 6-12 weeks later there will be several people that they killed. Of the 33 deaths recorded yesterday only 4 were under 50 years of age. I doubt very much that it was the other 29 folk that caught Covid-19 at a Pachanga.
    Last edited by jar; July 23rd, 2020 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks

I doubt very much that it was the other 29 folk that caught Covid-19 at a Pachanga.
    precisely